• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

freezer trick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

i've tried just about everything i can to get my data off of this drive, short of the freezer trick. it shows up in my computer, but it shows as Local Disk (i gave it a different label) and i can't get any of the files off. i have roughly 100gb of stuff on there that i would rather not lose. is the freezer trick the best way to go here? also, are you supposed to let the drive defrost before you plug it into the computer?

It's not supposed to accumulate frost in the first place. Freeze the drive in a sealed plastic bag with as much air removed as is possible. Just be aware that this trick rarely works, and that locales with higher humidity do tend to have condensation issues. You'll have about 10 minutes at most to install the drive and save data off it, provided it works. At least you've got a learning opportunity for backup systems.

we have very high humidity here. that being the case, what would be better for this drive? i believe that it got banged up during transport.

Vacuum seal the drive first ;). In any case good luck with the data retrieval.

m3x1c4nj3w said:
I have a question. What is the theory behind this "trick"?

I would like to know that too. Maybe i will do a search later if a link doesn't pop up here. :D

JT

The theory is that the drive platters and arms will contract slightly in the cold, overcoming any physical issues such as chips, debris, and troughs in platters caused by head slaps or malfunctioning actuators. Of course this is only good for as long as the components remain cold enough, so the time window is very much limited. I suppose if you have an overheating drive it might also give you an extra few minutes before the critical temperature is reached. Either way I've not seen it work personally, and only heard of it working a handful of times out of the couple hundred failed drives I've helped people through over the years.

If you've got a toasted circuit board, thrown bearings, or severe platter/head damage, it's not going to save you. Also, some drives that fail to initialize or perform properly due to physical issues (e.g. chittering drives) generally respond better to being mounted upside down or sideways. I've had a number of these over the years as the units reach EOL and the remounts buy a few extra weeks of operation. Stuck heads may be freed by hitting the side of the drive firmly with something hard but not overly massed, like a screwdriver. That I've only done once, to no good effect; the drive spun up after that, but was still beyond saving.

For those in high-humidity areas, be fast about it.

I thought you were supposed to hit it on a table (not too hard) after you froze it?

NEVER HIT YOUR DRIVE. The freezer trick generally works because it causes contraction either on the circuit board (which is why electronics repair shops always have cold spray) or causes mechanical assemblys to contract and free their operation.

If the drive will not spin, do not hit it. I have salvaged several drives using a flick of the wrist. Take the drive in your hand and image the axis of the motor passing through the center of your hand. Now spin your hand quickly. This can force the platters to move past a dead spot and allow the drive to spin without banging the heads around. Hitting drives causes the heads to bang into the landing zone which causes particles to be generated. These particles embed in the media and cause further data loss. If you hit it hard enough, you will bend the gimbles the heads sit on and they will never, ever work again!

rebelwarlock said:
i've tried just about everything i can to get my data off of this drive, short of the freezer trick. it shows up in my computer, but it shows as Local Disk (i gave it a different label) and i can't get any of the files off. i have roughly 100gb of stuff on there that i would rather not lose. is the freezer trick the best way to go here? also, are you supposed to let the drive defrost before you plug it into the computer?

Have you tried to see if knoppix can see the data? How about data recovery software? The freezer trick should be the very last thing you try.

I second the Knoppix suggestion. I have seen alot of hard drives that couldn't be accessed end up getting recovered via Knoppix.

Back