• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp ok on my new system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sendatooli

hi guys! i broke the bank and got a thunder-board with dual mp1800's! i got 'em running at 1662, or there abouts. i dont want to overclock further at this point. it was too expensive to risk busting it. anyways there is a lot of stuff in my case, cdrw, dvdr, 2 cheetah drives. so it is a hot case. plus my room temp is 76 degrees.

the cpu's idle at 46 cellsious, sometimes up to 47 in windows. under moderate load they stay at 47. under maximum load they go up to 54-56. not both of them always reach the same temp. within 1-2 degrees of each other.

i used alpha pep66 on both of em. it doesnt look like an sk6 or something that big would fit.

seeing as its not overclocked real high and the voltage is stock, ARE THESE TEMPS OK? i know they arent the best, but the system is rock stable in 2000. these temps would lock an intel straight away, but i think amd runs hotter?

i just dont want to kill my new baby, on the other hand i dont want to spend more on cooling if not absoultly neccessary.

i totally rebuilt my system(it was about that time). so i certainly have not much dough left.

thank you,
sendatooli.

Those temps are really really high! Mine won't go over 51c under full load, mind you, my Athlon isn't as fast as yours. . . .

You might want to try to lower the Vcore a bit and see if its stable. W/ a lower Vcore, your processor is going to run cooler. You also might want to get some really good casecooling, or maybe ducting in cool air from the room directly onto your processor.

.. AE 86 .. said:
sendatooli what is your ambient temp
Very important factor:) I think I remember you asking about building a new rig a few weeks ago;) Really nice set up man. I bet them Cheetahs run hot. What case cooling do you have? With the CPUs close together you will need a rather large amount of air flowing thru it.

Last edited:
sendatooli said:
hi guys! i broke the bank and got a thunder-board with dual mp1800's! i got 'em running at 1662, or there abouts. i dont want to overclock further at this point. it was too expensive to risk busting it. anyways there is a lot of stuff in my case, cdrw, dvdr, 2 cheetah drives. so it is a hot case. plus my room temp is 76 degrees.

the cpu's idle at 46 cellsious, sometimes up to 47 in windows. under moderate load they stay at 47. under maximum load they go up to 54-56. not both of them always reach the same temp. within 1-2 degrees of each other.

i used alpha pep66 on both of em. it doesnt look like an sk6 or something that big would fit.

seeing as its not overclocked real high and the voltage is stock, ARE THESE TEMPS OK? i know they arent the best, but the system is rock stable in 2000. these temps would lock an intel straight away, but i think amd runs hotter?

i just dont want to kill my new baby, on the other hand i dont want to spend more on cooling if not absoultly neccessary.

i totally rebuilt my system(it was about that time). so i certainly have not much dough left.

thank you,
sendatooli.

As long as you are under 60c at load you should be fine. anything over 60 aint healthy for the chip

Your ambient is playing a big part in your temps, when my "cpu-room" is too hot (78f), I crank up a couple of box fans and open a window, brings "cooler" air in, and atleast circulates some of the hotter "room" air.

thanks for the replys, guys.
the ambient temp is the problem. its 76f. in the room and over 90f. in the case. the case has good air flow. but there are 2 processors and a lot of other very hot equipment. the cheetahs get very hot. so 90f for the case seems actually about as good as im gonna do. there are hard drive coolers. two fans in front. two in back. and one 120mm fan on the side. plus a 80 mm exhaust blower in a pci slot. and a larger hsf on the vid card.
the machine never locks. i was just wondering if the chips would fry at these temps? they only get up to 55c. when a 3d app loops for a few hours and the drives and vid card heat up. prime95 torture only puts it up to 53.

thank you,
sendatooli.

I wouldn't let it get any hotter. Why don't you try folding@home to burn those chips in. It will also help our team regain the #1 spot.

hmm. i had the window open during my last post. its only 30f. outside here. then after i posted i turned on the temp monitor. 38c.! so i guess the problem is my room temp. i keep the themostat on 71f. but this room "balloons" up to 76f., for some reason. its not practicle for me to keep the window open and shiver. so under the circumstances i hope the cpu temps are ok?

i closed the window again and it went up to 43c. then the furnace came on and it went to 46c. it seems to idle at 46c. in windows. with the furnace on.

thank you,
sendatooli.

ok, i repositioned the heatsinks. now i got, 45c. idle,46c. light load. 51c.-53c. full load. strange thing is when it gets up to 52c. under load it takes about ten minuets to slowly return to 45c. idle.
must be my room temp.

thank you,
sendatooli.

sendatooli said:
ok, i repositioned the heatsinks. now i got, 45c. idle,46c. light load. 51c.-53c. full load. strange thing is when it gets up to 52c. under load it takes about ten minuets to slowly return to 45c. idle.
must be my room temp.

thank you,
sendatooli.

Those temp should be safe, but i wouldnt clock it higher before you get those temps lower.

Back