• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flyer-How to tell them I'm 16?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

I'm making up a flyer saying that I'm going to do (basicly), computer help, Home Networking, and computer maint., like virus/spyware removal, wireless, and HDD/OS maint. for just local people around here and I'm putting out a flyer w/ my number on it (haven't decided on what number to use but I don't care for now)

My question is, how do I let people know in the flyer that I'm not a Profession and that I'm young (16), I really don't want people to freak out at that because I didn't let them know ahead of time.

Thx.

To be honest, I would not push that fact. It would probably hurt your business. What I would do instead would be to get a decent pic of yourself (possibly in a nice shirt and tie like the geeksquad guys use) and let your customers draw thier own conclusions.

Then after they let you fix w/e the problems are, you can get business from refferals as well as the flyer.

Malpine Walis said:
To be honest, I would not push that fact. It would probably hurt your business. What I would do instead would be to get a decent pic of yourself (possibly in a nice shirt and tie like the geeksquad guys use) and let your customers draw thier own conclusions.

Then after they let you fix w/e the problems are, you can get business from refferals as well as the flyer.

Mmm, I'm not too sure, I mean the picture idea is nice, but as I said, I'm 16 and I'm not sure if I want a bunch of flyers circulating around with my picture and cell phone (or other) number on it, I just don't think it's all that safe.

jcw122 said:
Mmm, I'm not too sure, I mean the picture idea is nice, but as I said, I'm 16 and I'm not sure if I want a bunch of flyers circulating around with my picture and cell phone (or other) number on it, I just don't think it's all that safe.

It would be just as unsafe to go into Peoples homes to do repairs with out knowing them.

I agree with the Picture, But Don't go and spread flyer's all over the place, pick high traffic locations and stores, ask to put your flyer in the Window, you just need 2 or 3 customers, then word of mouth will spread, be sure to have a flyer you can leave with people after you have done work for them, I use my Business card, but chances are you wont be doing the business to warrant spending that sort of money for referrals and repeat customers.

Most people will not care that you are only 16 if you present your self with a good demeanor, and come prepared, a tool box with the standard tools for opening a PC, a half dozen CD's with tools you will use and programs you would install, and if you can spare it, an Extra HDD either external or internal, if you can back up peoples music and pictures before a format they will definitely call you back to do formats. because it is easier to start fresh then fix problems many times, and joe six pack understands this.

deRusett said:
It would be just as unsafe to go into Peoples homes to do repairs with out knowing them.

I agree with the Picture, But Don't go and spread flyer's all over the place, pick high traffic locations and stores, ask to put your flyer in the Window, you just need 2 or 3 customers, then word of mouth will spread, be sure to have a flyer you can leave with people after you have done work for them, I use my Business card, but chances are you wont be doing the business to warrant spending that sort of money for referrals and repeat customers.

Most people will not care that you are only 16 if you present your self with a good demeanor, and come prepared, a tool box with the standard tools for opening a PC, a half dozen CD's with tools you will use and programs you would install, and if you can spare it, an Extra HDD either external or internal, if you can back up peoples music and pictures before a format they will definitely call you back to do formats. because it is easier to start fresh then fix problems many times, and joe six pack understands this.

Well wouldn't putting a flyer in a local store window, attract people I probably won't know?

I was thinking first circulating some to friends of mine, or may be not even that, because I already know 2-3 friends who need some help.

And yeah, I'm really not sure if it would be safe doing it for people I don't know, and I know the flyers could go anywhere, so I'll have to ask my dad or something.

If you're concerned about dealing with people you don't know, but you're trying to do a little computer work....you're doing it wrong ;) When you say flyer, we think "advertisement posted on a wall or very public place." Not "I'm going to print two papers with words on them and give them to two close friends." ;)

Something else that would make people comfortable with you working on their computer is a certification, more specifically, an A+ certification. Regular people don't know it doesn't mean a thing, but they think that if you're certified, you know what you're doing.

JoT said:
If you're concerned about dealing with people you don't know, but you're trying to do a little computer work....you're doing it wrong ;) When you say flyer, we think "advertisement posted on a wall or very public place." Not "I'm going to print two papers with words on them and give them to two close friends." ;)

Something else that would make people comfortable with you working on their computer is a certification, more specifically, an A+ certification. Regular people don't know it doesn't mean a thing, but they think that if you're certified, you know what you're doing.

Yeah I considered certification, but then I'd have to take some sort of class right? That would be time and money that I don't wanna spend.

And my original plan for the flyer (which I guess I'm still gonna do) would have been just handing a bunch out to people at school, never thought of posting them on a wall, not sure where I'd do that. Basicly, I was gonna just look to do work for people I knew/semi-knew, and have word of mouth and spreading flyers carry it beyond that.

Word of mouth isn't as powerful as you might think, when it comes to PC repair. People will do anything and everything to avoid spending money on their computers, unless they absolutely HAVE TO HAVE it. That and the fact that usually the people you already know, know you can fix computers and thus it's a waste of time going and reinforming them. It takes advertisement in public places to get any sort of business in that; I know, I've done it. WoM gets more powerful as you do more repairs and more business, but starting out, you must have advertisement.

JoT said:
Word of mouth isn't as powerful as you might think, when it comes to PC repair. People will do anything and everything to avoid spending money on their computers, unless they absolutely HAVE TO HAVE it. That and the fact that usually the people you already know, know you can fix computers and thus it's a waste of time going and reinforming them. It takes advertisement in public places to get any sort of business in that; I know, I've done it. WoM gets more powerful as you do more repairs and more business, but starting out, you must have advertisement.

OK thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'll also add it's not PC repair, because I do not want to have to deal with touching internal hardware, and possibly shorting out hardware, or having people blame me for something, that would not be cool.

Here's what I'm doing that I'll quote from the flyer (well that I have so far):
-Streamlining and Maintinence of the Operating System and Hard Drive
-Removal of Viruses, Spyware, Popups, and Worms (not sure about worms..may delete that)
-Help with Home Networking and Internet Connection Issues
-Advice for a future computer purchase or future hardware upgrades based on your needs and budget

I do realize that there is also a risk of people blaming me for something w/ these things, but I think the liability would be much less than killing hardware. I've had peope here at the forum tell me about it so yeah. Plus, I myself do not think it is as commonly needed as Virus/Spyware removal and internet issues are needed, I am constantly hearing about problems from people in school just talking.

Working with the software is still defined as "repair" when working on a system. I advise rethinking formatting anyone's system, otherwise you may have to foot the bill for a new OS. I was told to wipe all the systems here at work, and the keys on the side of these OEMs wouldn't work for any Windows install. I called Dell and HP, and they told me to call Microsoft about the keys. Microsoft then promptly told me that it was Dell's jurisdiction. I ended up in a loop with no operating systems on a dozen computers. Watch yourself, or else you may end up similarly.

JoT said:
Working with the software is still defined as "repair" when working on a system. I advise rethinking formatting anyone's system, otherwise you may have to foot the bill for a new OS. I was told to wipe all the systems here at work, and the keys on the side of these OEMs wouldn't work for any Windows install. I called Dell and HP, and they told me to call Microsoft about the keys. Microsoft then promptly told me that it was Dell's jurisdiction. I ended up in a loop with no operating systems on a dozen computers. Watch yourself, or else you may end up similarly.

Formatting is always a very very last resort for me. And by Streamlining Operating System and HDD Maint. I mean't stuff like registry cleaning, spyware removal, defragging, etc. OS and HDD files like that. Basicly stuff to speed the system if he has some junk/excessive files in it.

How much do you know about cars?

lets assume nothing. they drive when you tell them to.

THATS how much your customers know about computers. they cant tell the difference between hardware and software.
'oh man, my computers a piece of **** it locks up like every ten mins'

that could be heat, a dying psu, a failing hard drive, or any number of software problems.

'oh man, my car is a piece of crap it just stalls every 15 mins'
well, that could be just about anything as well. could be physical damage to just about any electrical/mechanical part of the car, or user error. (well, this is a little different, but you get the idea)

the people you're working for cant tell you why. they can just tell you the problem.

BTW, JoT is right. people will not spend an extra $ on their computer unless its life depends on it...and even then they wont do it till after its dead.
i sell computers for now, and its a crappy job, because the people im selling to want the $299 computer, every time. No antivirus, NO anti spyware, NO hardware coverage of any kind. they want the cheapest box, the nicest monitor, and they want it to run their kids games. (no matter what they are, because halflife2 and mrs.pacman are the same thing to these people)

they dont understand, and they dont care. they want all for nothing, and they spend as little as possible and get what they call a functional box, and then it breaks two months later, and YOU come along and offer to fix it, for more money.

they dont want to spend more money, but they cant use the computer till they do.

Now they were cheap, so they cant go to the place they got it to have it fixed, which makes you their only option. If their hard drive is failed you tell them you'll go to staples and pick up a replacement. (or better yet, keep a small stock on hand, you can charge 10% more than it cost this way) of basic parts.
hard drives cause many of the problems ive come across in these cheap computers.
RAM can too...because there isnt enough. you can STILL get a computer with 256 megs of ram.
the new models of hp and compaq , gateway, and emachines thankfully all went to 512 a few weeks back, but theres throsands of older models in stores everywhere.
and people are still buying them, because the'yre that weeks $299 special.

if you arent willing to get an a+ you wont be taking off anywhere fast, i wouldnt trust someone who diddnt look like they knew what they were doing in my car, especially if they diddnt have any certs.
i mean, yeah. the automotive basic cert is probably as pointless as the A+, but to me, who doesnt know how to fix a car, its kinda comforting.

on the other hand, showing up at someones house, 'fixing' their software problems with a good old fasioned backup/reinstall/restore, and then two days later they call back because its still crashing (bad hard drive) wont get you good word of mouth.
Showing up there and 'fixing' their computer, then getting halfway though and telling them 'im sorry sir, you have some bad RAM and i cant fix hardware, you're sol' wont do so hot iether.

i hate to be the nay-sayer, but if you want to do well with this you gotta be prepared to put your back into it. these people dont want to pay you to fix their computers.

I'm currently doing the same thing, I've got my flyer's printed out and I'm going to post them around campus and I'm helping around the collage BBS but I'm going to computer advice/building.
Going to see if its worth the trouble.

your age shouldnt be an issue,, and as useless as it is you should get A+ since if you look young at least you have certification on your side just in case anyone asks how old you are

Back