• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapped my Freezer 64 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wellnessoc5

I was in ACE hardware a few days ago, getting a mandril for a 3" hole saw so I could add a blowhole to my case, And I stumbled apon some wet/dry sandpaper. It ended up being a great idea, because the mandril did'nt fit my hole saw bit, so I did'nt get to start that project. At least they took it back. On to the lapping! I got a sheet of 400, 600, and 1500, the finest they had. I have been wanting to lap my hsf for a while now, but didn't know where to get such fine paper. I got a peice of glass, cut each sheet of paper in half, and started with the 400, then 600, then 1500. With the freezer 64 pro, the hsf clips get in the way, so you have to hold them up somehow,( I used twist ties). I got rushed out of the kitchen by my roomate, so I made it somewhat quick. The results were dissapointing, the exact same as before. I put up with this for a couple of days, and finally decided to try again. This time i just used the 1500, and got it to a mirror finish over a period of 3 hours. Now the temps are 27 idle Vs. 30, and 36 load Vs. 40. I don't know if this is because I used more AS5 this time than last, but any improvement I'll take! I've always used the size of 1.5 dry grains of rice, but I used about 2-2.5 this time.

The Wicker Man said:
Up to 2000.
I do go for 2000-2500 grit all the time (cuz I have it), but I don't think anything over 1200 grit is necessary. I just like the look

striker85 said:
How much material does lapping usually remove in order to get a mirror finish?
Let me be honest with you.... mirror finish lapping takes at LEAST 2 hours for me, and most would say it's not worth the time. I think 1 hour of lapping is sufficient... my hands get really pruny and nasty everytime I lap... cuz I spend a lotta time on it.

For really fine sandpaper, go to an auto parts store. The have fine stuff for paint work.

Also, they have buffing cream that you can use with a dremel to attain a mirror finish.

i lapped mine too but i dont think i did a very good work, but i added a hole on the side of my case (how i have 3x120mm fans) which make my temps from 68C (original heatsink) to 49C (Arctic Freezer + 1 extra side fan) :)

Freezer Pro 64

I hope no one has a kitten about this thread being over 3 months old. I was "surfing" through a few of the OC forums I belong to and came across this thread, very interesting. One of the machines I have is an AMD x2 4200+ with a Freezer Pro 64 HSF on it. Out of curiosity I decided to lap it. To get the best results I simply unscrewed the lever deal on the side (little philips head screw) and slid the rest of the holder off. Then I merely unclipped the fan bracket. All this left me with just the fin part, heat tubes, and the base. (part to be lapped) I started with 400 grit and finished with 1500 grit ( the finest I could get) My ambient temp is about 22 c, my idle is 25 c, and my load temp is 34 c. I noticed a 2 c to 3 c drop in temp, maybe when the AS5 gets cured it'll drop even more. A couple of degree drop doesn't seem worth the bother (removal of MB), but as far as I'm concerned, ANY drop in air cooling temp is worth it. Sorry, I haven't bothered with the digital camera thing. (no pictures, I'm just getting into the folding thing) The load temp folding on just one core is 30 c.

Last edited:
Wow - didn't think it would have been possible to lower the temps that much just by planning the cooler-surface... great results you two.

Should try it with my own freezer too...

A nice hint for polishing is "Nevr Dull" if you can get this one. It's adding a mirror-shine to your cooler.
MG-20001_300.jpg
Greets Floke

Hey my man (Floke), I only got a two (2) degree drop in idle temp and noticed a "rocking" from a two (2) to a "rocking" three (3) degree temp drop in load. I checked the temps with MBM, SpeedFan, BIOS and a hardware temp fan controller. They weren't all the same, but pretty consistant. (Oh well, looks like digital camera thing next)

the auto parts store here carries up to 3500. I see no need for anything above 1200 too, but I like going up to at least 2500.

Edit: NEVER put nevr dull on your HSF, chemicals from it can really be bad for your contact.

Hey thanks on the nevr dull stuff (nvidiaOCmaster), I don't really know what it is. Kind of like "brasso" ? I hope 1500 grit is okay, anyway it's as far as I'm going to go. I'm too lazy to take out the MB and go through the whole procedure again. Unbelievable, I lapped my (mini space heater) PD805, with a Tt Big Typhoon HSF and it idles at 25 c to 26 c, load 37 c to 40 c, my ambient temp is 20 c. (1 hr Prime95 both cores) Good ole' AS5, I tried the Zallmans ZM-STG1. (nahhhh, too expensive, no return) I checked the temp with MBM, Everest Home, SpeedFan,Sisoft Sandra, PC Wizard 2006 (I like this program) and the BIOS. I get a 3 c spread with BIOS and pretty much the same temps in the other programs. ( 28 c or 29 c sounds about right)

Last edited:
I wouldnt trust any polish or anything. The whole point of lapping it is not to get a mirror finish, its to make the actual metal so flat it has a mirror finnish. When you use polish on a not-so-mirror finish you are defeating the original purpose.

Back