• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD 64 for first time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioboxer

Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to dealing with overclocking the AMD 64 processor.

Infact I've been using pcs for many years and haven't really overclocked anything bar the graphics card.

My current setup looks like this:

AMD 64 3200+ (Venice)
Abit KN8 Ultra
2x512 Corsair DDR400 / PC3200 CL2 (TWINX1024-3200C2PT)

I know there are hundreds of starter guides out there but they're a tad confusing for me. Can anyone break down how to/what to expect from overclocking my current system.

Oh and im using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and the cpu runs at around 22-25 currently.

HTT x CPU Multiplier = CPU speed
HTT x HTT multi = HTT bus speed
HTT x Mem divider = mem speed

You want to raise the HTT to get your cpu higher, while keeping the HTT bus and memory within spec. So, if you brought the HTT from 200 to 250, that would result in a 25% increase in CPU speed, but you would need to lower your HTT multiplier from 5 to 4x, in order to keep it under 1000 (which is what you are aiming to do). You would then use a divider to get your ram at or below it's max speed, meaning 4:5 or lower.

You need to know your memory's max speed, so keep it 1:1 and raise your HTT until it fails memtest (www.memtest86.com. use the bootable .iso). Then proceed with the above. There are a few complications... memory dividers are not actually based off of the HTT but its close. Don't mess with voltage yet, wait until you are familiar with everything else.

Back