• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe Bios Roundup - Dealing with Sites

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I never would have bought my PDA in a MILLION YEARS if I had visted Acer's website beforehand (I feel sorry for anyone that bought their laptops!)

So I decided to visit a few Motherboard sites to check out Conroe bioses. I'm kind of surprised by what I came up with.

Gigabyte DS3 "still waiting..." Edition - Man... this site just takes FOREVER to load. And had the second slowest download speeds in the round-up. Latest bios was 2006.7.17

Asus P5W DH - Very fast site... very slow downloading of bios. Latest bios 801 2006/07/28

Abit AB9 Pro - Fast site, fast downloads. AMAZING looking site. Maybe Abit has changed. I remember when they just plain sucked. 2006.07.20 http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?categories=1&model=323

And then just for the heck of it...

Intel Badaxe - Of course the fastest and best laid out site though their latest bios update was 2006.07.14 Maybe they worked out all the kinks?

Sorry to sound like an idiot here...

but you mean to tell me even though these motherboards list conroe compatability, they wont support it right out of the box? How am i even supposed to get into the bios of a motherboard when it doesnt support the only cpu i will have to put in it? :(

Now you're got me all confused/worried.

I'm still kind of confused with this removeable bios chip you speak of. I know my current motherboard deffinatley doesn't have that.

This is so dumb....

It's not going to boot into the BIOS with a cpu it doesnt support, right? Am i going to have to buy a cheap celeron?

mr. roboto said:
I'm still kind of confused with this removeable bios chip you speak of. I know my current motherboard deffinatley doesn't have that.

This is so dumb....

It's not going to boot into the BIOS with a cpu it doesnt support, right? Am i going to have to buy a cheap celeron?

Are you SURE your MB doesn't have a removable bios? It looks just like a watch battery. I've even got one on my ANCIENT A7N8x-E Deluxe (Well I guess it is/was DELUXE...) all you have to do it boot with a floppy, take out the bios, put in your new boards bios. Update it, put your current bios back in,, and you're done.

And no... if you don't have the right bios in your alledgedly Conroe supported board... it won't boot.

Do you mean the actual cmos battery? I diddn't think a batery held any info, but you must be talking about something else.

Also, as a side, do you know when all of the nForce 590 boards are supposed to be release? Arent these supposed to be tops?

No its not the cmos battery. It is in a IC socket and rectangular shaped with two corners that are angled. Should have a sticker on top of it with printed information regarding BIOS version etc.

I just got off the phone with ASUS. The P5W DH has a 1 year warranty. If you call them, ask for the BIOS dept., they will ship you out a BIOS ver. 801 chip. All you have to do is pay for shipping($5 for ground, $20 for overnight). This seems like an easier way to go about getting your board up and running. My chip will be here before I get the Conroe.

Have you taken into consideration how many people have already bought and are using the Asus mobo? MUCH more traffic to that download.

The badaxe has a HARDWARE problem, one of the Dimm fets isnt rated for more the 2.2v and has a tendency to blow up when more Vdimm is applied to it, unleashing 3.9-4V to your Ram :mad: :mad: bio's isn't going to fix that problem :eh?:

Volt said:
If you call them, ask for the BIOS dept., they will ship you out a BIOS ver. 801 chip. All you have to do is pay for shipping($5 for ground, $20 for overnight).

That is wicked! :attn:

greenmaji said:
Have you taken into consideration how many people have already bought and are using the Asus mobo? MUCH more traffic to that download.

The badaxe has a HARDWARE problem, one of the Dimm fets isnt rated for more the 2.2v and has a tendency to blow up when more Vdimm is applied to it, unleashing 3.9-4V to your Ram :mad: :mad: bio's isn't going to fix that problem :eh?:

That is wicked! :attn:

LOL

I sure thought so. Much easier than having 2 CPU's, flashing, etc.

For the ASUS mobo you can still boot into the system with the old bios it will just run like **** till you update it.

that latest abit bios, sadly, is *still* not fully functional. darn bios wont set cas latency to 5 and keeps it at 3 :mad: i cant take my corsair pc6400 much higher than 300mhz with that timing! :bang head

doh boy said:
that latest abit bios, sadly, is *still* not fully functional. darn bios wont set cas latency to 5 and keeps it at 3 :mad: i cant take my corsair pc6400 much higher than 300mhz with that timing! :bang head

smack a wicked divider on it :beer: J/K :p

yea after work im gonna try using some reducing dividers on it, if i can figure it out in the abit bios. this strap thing is confusing me since i never had to mess with anything like this before. could anyone by chance point me somewhere that can teach me about what exactly straps do?

Stilletto said:
Sorry guys....I do not see any Bios 801 for the P5W DH board no where on Asus's Site. Most current is 0701

Not true. It's under "Downloads" on their site.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

For some reason it won't let me link the exact download page here. Just enter the proper info into the drop-down spaces(Motherboard,Socket 775,P5W DH Deluxe), then open up the BIOS part. It will show BIOS ver. 801, dated 7-28-06.

Back