• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok so far I have a nice smooth waterblock. The only trouble is the swirl marks. I used a 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. The 1000 was wet sanding and the 1500 dry sanding. How do I get rid of the marks.:eh?:

You want to use a rough grit and move to a fine grit to get rid of heavier machining marks. You don't have to, but using the fine grit will take you a *long* time to do.

I'm assuming your swirl marks is a rough surface...if they are more of a look, so to speak, then I wouldn't worry about them.

Are the swirls from your lapping style? There are lots of different styles, from figure og eight and circle, to sideways with 90 degree turns. Also, I'd say stick to wet sanding. Some are using a bit of soap to get a more gentle lapping, while others finish using som sort of polishing compound or cloth.

Back