• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virus Prorection Ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

I need some good ideas for a virus protection because im tired of Avast its not catching everything. I was told Kaspersky was a really good one. should i buy Kaspersky?

If you want to spend money on virus protection, go for it. I hear KS is an excellent antivirus, but I've also heard of some people having problems with it because it's too pro-active and causes conflicts with other software. AntiVir is a good free anti-virus software, that I run. Ontop of that, I also have Sunbelts Kerio Personal Firewall (the full version); a software firewall will often catch trojans signaling home, if your AV fails to detect it. This is why I always recommend using one, even though many people oppose them and call them "snake oil".

Having an anti-spyware program, such as spybot, might be a good idea for some users. I personally don't use spybot, or any anti-spyware (unless I'm really bored and want to see how many "tracking cookies" my browser accumulated the past year).

Remember one thing though, the vast majority of the time someones computer is infected with something, the cause is between the keyboard and the chair, not because failure of security software.

I second Anti-Vir,
Anti-Vir + ZoneAlarm and i havent caught anything major in a good long while. (Really hope i didnt jinyx myself:) )

WeezleXX89 said:
cool I have the trial and it seems to work fine. I think i might buy this :)

Weezle,

You realize AntiVir free doesn't do email? I have used this version for some time and it's been fine only because this machine doesn't have email.

the email thing im not worried about, its the computer im worried about. Im gonna check if they have this in Bestbuy or something. I saw how much it is which is like somehting around $60. Yes Kaspersky does support Email antivirus.

Actually, that brings up a good question I have been meaning to ask for a while:

I currently use other antivirus software (AVG), but have tried the old reliable SpyBotSD a couple of times. It didn't quite fit my liking, but I have always wondered if it was just me, or does everyone who has used it run into problems with the registery protect function? Whenever it detected a change, there would be an allow/disallow popup window, but it was always corrupted when it came up.

Oh, and this was with 3 different versions, in various screen resolutions.

Asr940 said:
Actually, that brings up a good question I have been meaning to ask for a while:

I currently use other antivirus software (AVG), but have tried the old reliable SpyBotSD a couple of times. It didn't quite fit my liking, but I have always wondered if it was just me, or does everyone who has used it run into problems with the registery protect function? Whenever it detected a change, there would be an allow/disallow popup window, but it was always corrupted when it came up.

Oh, and this was with 3 different versions, in various screen resolutions.

Asr,

Spybot does pick-up one registry "positive" on my machine, or it did initially until I made it an exception. It's a necessary function and caught as a "false positive." Obviously anyone should be nervous allowing registry changes so if there is any question, I don't let programs change the registry until I can look it up manually and research it or run another program or two for the same false positive. Adaware and CCleaner come to mind but I still look at them manually and research them before making registry deletions or changes.

So, I have not used Spybot's registry functions in any way or allowed it to make any changes or backups. I feel there are better programs for that. This computer does not do email, I use my old Dell for that so I don't need an email AV program. The old Dell has Norton AV, and yes it's well bloated but it has never failed me. I may catch one or two virus alerts a year on it. I'm very careful about that.

Spybot S&D is a spyware detector/remover, plus it does a little antivirus removal. But, it is not a designated antivirus software, so don't just use it for virus removal. It is great for spyware, but should not be used exclusively for virus removal.

Another vote for Antivir free edition. Sure the update window pops up, with a reminder from the company about other software, but I set Zonealarm to deny the company popup access, and everything has worked smooth ever since.

No, you misunderstood me. I know exactly what Spybot does, what I mean is that the actual window that pops up when it detects a change is corrupted. As in, does not display correctly, is unusable. :eek:

And Merlin, I don't use Spybot much, just have run into this cleaning up some machines.

AOL free antivirus (usable by anyone whether you have ao lor not) is free and is the kaspersky engine.

Just another option that I havenot seen mentioned in a while....

wow thats exacltly kaspersky. What firewall are you currently running and when you tried to install AOL virus shield, did it say you couldnt run a firewall and that virus protection.

Back