• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another SATA HDD Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T.N.D.

Registered
My SATA HDD didn't come with a jumper, will it default to "Master" when I start up my system?
Note: I will only be running one HDD and two optic drives.

There are no master or slave devices on SATA channels to the best of my knowledge. Each SATA channel supports a single device. Jumpers on SATA drives are usually for specifying SATA 150 or SATA 300 operation. Usually, leaving the jumper in its default position will set the drive to automatically recognize the speed of the SATA connection.

KillrBuckeye said:
There are no master or slave devices on SATA channels to the best of my knowledge. Each SATA channel supports a single device. Jumpers on SATA drives are usually for specifying SATA 150 or SATA 300 operation. Usually, leaving the jumper in its default position will set the drive to automatically recognize the speed of the SATA connection.

Correct - no master/slave jumpers on SATA drives. Your boot drive should be on SATA-1 port, otherwise you might need to select another device than the "default" harddrive boot device in BIOS.

But you can still see master/slave names on SATA drives in BIOS (I can on my Asus Commando).

If there are jumpers, one is used for 150/300 selection. Others are used to enable/disable SSC (Spread Spectrum Clock) and power management.

If its a hitachi, you will have to boot into the hitachi program to make sure your sata 150/300 is set right or change any settings.

Nittenti said:
Your boot drive should be on SATA-1 port, otherwise you might need to select another device than the "default" harddrive boot device in BIOS.

Or SATA-0 port, depending on how your board is labeled.

if it didnt come with a jumper...you dont need one
as stated before, there is no master/slave configuration on sata drives
plug it in and go, thats all there is to it

Back