• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd cpu`s overclocking!!!help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billy9x

Registered
Hello,ive got an amd k62-500mhz and a k63-400mhz and i have try`d to overclock both before but to no avail.
Im stuck on the multiplyers and voltage settings as when i try i get 550 out of the k62 and 450 out of the k63 but they seem to be unstable they crash completely out or just hang,sometimes in games and sometimes just in boot or windows.
I need to know what the best setting for a via 503+ motherboard jumpers etc????im not a begginer im just puzzled as they are overclockerble according to most txt`s ive seen on this topic.

I have a=
via 503+appollo
256mgs ram
savage4 32mg graphics plus voodoo2 12mg
soundblaster live!!value
toshiba dvd drive
10.5g hd
plus 1.5gb hd as backup
56k pci modem
AT case, two fans(one is standard 400mhz cooler and the other is the same but mounted pointing over the other cpu fan to blow heat away)
at presant i run memory at 100mhz and cpu 400mhz and i only pull 1552 off of 3dmark2000?????any good??????
plus my system is stable but i WANT more:):burn:

I have the same MOBO but am working on O/C ing with a K6-2+ 450mhz 2.0v. I was able to get 550 no problem at 2.1v (5.5 x 100) and am working on getting higher. My understanding is that the older K6-2 and k6-3 chips can require 2.7 or 2.8 volts to get good results. "Eobard" has his k6-2 450 running at 2.7v (different MOBO) and is hitting 558 mhz (4.5 x 124). The k6-2+and 3+'s are more overclockable because they are built using .018 method instead of older .025 as on your chips. While FIC says that our board can't handle "+" series chips, it can IF you have one with the "E0037" sticker and you load up either beta bios JE4330 or JE4333. i got my K6-2+ 450 from tigerdirect for $35 which is a total deal given the tremendous boost in performance found from a 128k L2 cache on the CPU. Although, your K6-III has 256 k cache, so it won't really be an improvement from there, but maybe that is more reason to update BIOS.... Rambling.....:beer:

to all replied (temp)

Unfortunatly i have no onboard temperature reader(all fans are not routed through the board so i cannot tell but im sure the heats ok.
I attempted overclocking at the k63-400 to 450 at 2.6v/2.4/2.5/2.7v all were unstable but the 2.7worked ok but still testing.
im wondering whether its worth putting back my k62-500 and o/c that instead???:)???
also what is all this je4333 stuff as ive updated my board to je439 and as far as i know its the lastest bios.
my memory is 2 dimm at 100mhz but maker unknown as havnt checked.256total.
been having probs with game and net stability????it keeps freezing.

the je4333 bios is a beta that has two updates from the latest bios offered in most places on the FIC website. 1) ability to handle K6-2 "+" and k6-III "+" CPUs 2) ability to handle massive HD. Below is a website that has a link to a copy of the bios and other such stuff....

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

If I am not mistaken, the k6-3 400 that you have is faster than the k6-2 500 in most circumstances due to 256k L2 cache. The only way to get better performance out of your board is either to manage some overclocking with what you have or upgrade your bios and plunk down a "+" series CPU which can take some overclocking and has L2 cache along with some added instruction code stuff to make it all super jammy. Every "+" chip right up to k6-3+ 550 can be had through www.computeradjusters.com for an arm and a leg, but baring cash that will get you into a T-bird, the next best thing is a 450 k6-2+ from Tigerdirect for $35. :cool:

yep its a k63 400+chip

At presant im managing to have it clocked from a 400 to 450mhz,which is sort of stable but jumps out of games but i can watch a dvd all the way through with minimal juttering.
the cpu is on a voltage of 2.8 and im gonna try other voltages later 2night but does anyone know of a voltage which is stable as it would cut through the crap, .
so a + chip is fast ish??is it possible to get more or should i stay put if i get it stable,if,??oh does anyone have any idea why counterstrike freezes could it be because of the O\C???I THINK IT MAY COS NOW ALL GAMES EXCEPT AGE OF EMPIRES 2 Dont WORK:)??

cheers for any help this forum stuff is helpful wish id done it before:)

Well In other words, your system is not stable, because of teh overclocking, You should go about getting your system stable first, thats why your games are crashing...

hi angry

my system was stable before i o\c it so i see no prob there,and yes as ive been building pc`s for several years and only now i come across these problems as ive o\c many times before,but i see your point but at first it was rock solid ,now it crashes in games after about 25mins play time.
thanks for your input though,if not helpful it is amusing to read:)
l

When it's otherwise stable but crashing after a few minutes in a game, that's a heat issue, get a bigger heatsink/fan.

Do you have 2.2V chips or 2.4V chips? 2.2V usually overclock well on air with and can have the voltage brought up to around 2.4-2.5 to stabilise them and still need just air. Whereas 2.4 volt chips barely overclock on air and need 2.7V and peltiers or exotic cooling to do much.

If you get fed up of your k6-3 you can find a loving home for it here :D

regards,

Road Warrior

Back