• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[OC] Phenom II x6 1055T bottlenecks RX 560

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Honestly, I wouldn't waste the time on testing those odd sticks of ram. I honestly believe that 8GB stick isn't very compatible with your system and we know what the other two did. I would run with the single at a lower speed and keep my eyes open for a decent used 2x4GB set of matching ram that will work with that board.

There is also in Windows a built in RAM checker called "Memory Diagnostic." Just type it in to Cortana's search window. But you have to be there to watch it as the results are displayed in a popup soon after Windows reboots and I don't know if there is a log saved. The test has multiple levels you can run. I generally use the default level test which doesn't take so long and is probably good enough.

Memtest86 can also be burned to a CD. Last I checked, the memtest86 website walks you through creating a bootable CD with memtest86 on it.

I will just do it with the Memory Diagnostic

Screenshot_4.png

I will post the results tomorrow, when I startup PC.

I got the 1600mhz 4gb stick out, and only put the 8gb and 4gb 1333mhz sticks on slot 2 and 4, maybe if none of them can go higher than 1333mhz, the bios wont set the frequency again to 1589mhz, it worths a try, im gonna go ahead and try the OC Settings again.

STOP, mixing the ram. You're just opening yourself up for problems. That one 8GB stick is enough ram just run it slower and you'll be able to use the PC. The only way this system is going to be happy is with some good matching ram sticks and you don't have those.

STOP, mixing the ram. You're just opening yourself up for problems. That one 8GB stick is enough ram just run it slower and you'll be able to use the PC. The only way this system is going to be happy is with some good matching ram sticks and you don't have those.

Ok, got it, it blocked again anyway, haha, but I've been using those 2 sticks for a few years, the only components that i recently changed are the graphics card and the motherboard, maybe the motherboard is the problem. But those 2 sticks are here for a few years...I don't know what's the problem with them, im just gonna stay at stock settings. So you think I should just use the 8gb stick for everything now?Not even those 2 sticks (8gb and 4gb) that i always used?

If I were you I would work around the premise of using the one 8 gb stick at 1333 mhz. Everything I have read says that the performance with running in single channel is actually pretty small, maybe 5%.

I would then set the frequency of the one 8 gb to 1066 in bios and start to overclock the CPU starting from stock default bios settings with the FSB. I would try to get the FSB up to the point where the RAM was again operating at 1333 mhz. Using more than 8 gb of RAM will not improve your performance in gaming but going with less than 8 gb may hurt gaming performance. I think this approach would simplify the overclocking process and give you the stability you need to get a good overclock on the CPU. Everyone will tell you that from a performance perspective a higher overclock on the CPU is a much bigger performance factor than higher frequency RAM. The other fact is that the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the CPU is rated for 1333 mhz. Not to say it can't be made to run RAM faster than that with some voltage tweaking but 1300 mhz is what AMD rates it for.

Read this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/does-dual-channel-memory-make-difference-in-gaming-performance/7/

I think you need to focus on the big picture here and that is getting the best overclock on your CPU possible. That will pay the most performance dividends, not tweaking memory, for your purposes.

Last edited:
If I were you I would work around the premise of using the one 8 gb stick at 1333 mhz. Everything I have read says that the performance with running in single channel is actually pretty small, maybe 5%.

I would then set the frequency of the one 8 gb to 1066 in bios and start to overclock the CPU starting from stock default bios settings with the FSB. I would try to get the FSB up to the point where the RAM was again operating at 1333 mhz. Using more than 8 gb of RAM will not improve your performance in gaming but going with less than 8 gb may hurt gaming performance. I think this approach would simplify the overclocking process and give you the stability you need to get a good overclock on the CPU. Everyone will tell you that from a performance perspective a higher overclock on the CPU is a much bigger performance factor than higher frequency RAM. The other fact is that the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the CPU is rated for 1333 mhz. Not to say it can't be made to run RAM faster than that with some voltage tweaking but 1300 mhz is what AMD rates it for.

Read this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/does-dual-channel-memory-make-difference-in-gaming-performance/7/

I think you need to focus on the big picture here and that is getting the best overclock on your CPU possible. That will pay the most performance dividends, not tweaking memory, for your purposes.

You make it seem so simple.Ok so tomorrow, I have to: 1.Put only the 8gb stick inside.
2.Reset BIOS to UEFI Defaults
3.Set RAM Frequency to 1066
4.Raise FSB until the frequency is close to 1333mhz (Can you give me an idea on what value should the FSB be?)
5.Ok, I do raise FSB, but instantly at that high value?Or I go 10 by 10 again? 210, 220, 230, 240, 250
6.I will need help with the NB Frequency and the HT.

I'm not certain but I'm thinking that the RAM will be back at 1333 mhz when the FSB is at 250 mhz.

To start with, bump the RAM voltage from the stock 1.5 to 1.55. Check the "Memory" tab of CPU-z against the "SPD" tab to see what adjustments in the primary timings need to be made as your RAM frequency increases. The primary timings that were appropriate for 1066 may not be for 1333 mhz and since you are setting the RAM frequency manually instead of to "Auto" I suspect the timings will not automatically adjust to frequency changes of the RAM as you change the FSB frequency. Not sure about that but just keep an eye on it. If the timings remain too "tight" for 1333 the RAM will cause instability.

Increase the FSB in 10 mhz increments.

Test with OCCT or Prime95 for 15-20 minutes after each 10 mhz FSB increase. Have HWMonitor open to monitor core and socket temps while you stress test.

If you pass the stress test, bump the FSB up another 10 mhz and retest.

When you find you no longer pass the stress test then add .01 to the vcore and retest. If you still fail. add another .01 to the vcore. As you increase the speed of the CPU each notch of increase will require more voltage to make it stable than the one before. It's not linear relationship.

Adjust HT frequency down with its multiplier as you increase the FSB. HT will not tolerate much overclocking. Keep it between 1800 and 2100 mhz. No voltage adjustment necessary.

Limit the NB (aka, CPU-NB) to 2500 mhz. It will overclock much better than the HT will but even so will need a voltage bump at some point. My experience is that a 2500 mhz CPU-NB will generally be stable at about 1.225 volts.

When and if you can get the overclock to the point where the RAM is back to 1333 mhz then run a two hour OCCT or Prime95 blend stress test to confirm stability. If not stable, give the vcore a small bump (.01) if temps permit or if temps do not permit, back off on the FSB by 5-10 mhz and retest.

You already did your overclock. Set that stick in drop the frequency, set your OC reboot then set memory speed and you should be good to go. Remember it had a hard time running clocse to 1333 so you're going to have to find a speed that it will run and run stable.

I wonder with a little more RAM voltage if it would be stable at 1333. Firestorm, before you overclock the CPU at all maybe you should put that 8 gb stick in at 1333 mhz with 1.55-1.575 RAM voltage and see if that will make it stable. A lot of times those RAM stability issues are due to timings being tight for AMD and a little extra voltage push will overcome that.

I'm not certain but I'm thinking that the RAM will be back at 1333 mhz when the FSB is at 250 mhz.

To start with, bump the RAM voltage from the stock 1.5 to 1.55. Check the "Memory" tab of CPU-z against the "SPD" tab to see what adjustments in the primary timings need to be made as your RAM frequency increases. The primary timings that were appropriate for 1066 may not be for 1333 mhz and since you are setting the RAM frequency manually instead of to "Auto" I suspect the timings will not automatically adjust to frequency changes of the RAM as you change the FSB frequency. Not sure about that but just keep an eye on it. If the timings remain too "tight" for 1333 the RAM will cause instability.

Increase the FSB in 10 mhz increments.

Test with OCCT or Prime95 for 15-20 minutes after each 10 mhz FSB increase. Have HWMonitor open to monitor core and socket temps while you stress test.

If you pass the stress test, bump the FSB up another 10 mhz and retest.

When you find you no longer pass the stress test then add .01 to the vcore and retest. If you still fail. add another .01 to the vcore. As you increase the speed of the CPU each notch of increase will require more voltage to make it stable than the one before. It's not linear relationship.

Adjust HT frequency down with its multiplier as you increase the FSB. HT will not tolerate much overclocking. Keep it between 1800 and 2100 mhz. No voltage adjustment necessary.

Limit the NB (aka, CPU-NB) to 2500 mhz. It will overclock much better than the HT will but even so will need a voltage bump at some point. My experience is that a 2500 mhz CPU-NB will generally be stable at about 1.225 volts.

When and if you can get the overclock to the point where the RAM is back to 1333 mhz then run a two hour OCCT or Prime95 blend stress test to confirm stability. If not stable, give the vcore a small bump (.01) if temps permit or if temps do not permit, back off on the FSB by 5-10 mhz and retest.

The timings part seems difficult.

- - - Updated - - -

You already did your overclock. Set that stick in drop the frequency, set your OC reboot then set memory speed and you should be good to go. Remember it had a hard time running clocse to 1333 so you're going to have to find a speed that it will run and run stable.

We will see.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder with a little more RAM voltage if it would be stable at 1333. Firestorm, before you overclock the CPU at all maybe you should put that 8 gb stick in at 1333 mhz with 1.55-1.575 RAM voltage and see if that will make it stable. A lot of times those RAM stability issues are due to timings being tight for AMD and a little extra voltage push will overcome that.

I will try that too. Tomorrow is the day.

The timing part isn't that difficult. But you do have to switch that function in bios from Auto to Manual to access the individual timings. Then just change them to what you want in relation to what you are guided by in CPU-z. The only difficulty can be that bios may use different terminology in bios for the individual timing parameters than what CPU-z does. We can help you with that but when in doubt make a small change in bios that is not likely to prevent the system from booting and then check to see if that change is reflected in the Memory tab of CPU-z. That will help you sort the terminology out.

im such a *****, why did i not come back to respond to you??? I'm ready to start the overcocking again if you don't hate me. I've read all the 7 pages of this post haha, good memories, I was so scared to change anything lol.

Like I said, make small changes in the timings one at a time so you an boot and check which line items in the "Memory" tab of CPU-z reflects the change. That will help you sort out the terminology variations.

If at all possible, install a clean OS on a spare drive and use that to OC the memory (for testing stability). Memory OC borks more OS installs than anything I know of, with what seems to be a disproportionate percentage being boot.ini corruption that Windows can't repair. If a spare OS isn't feasible, get Easy BCD, read up on its use, and be prepared for the inevitable. Play with memory clocks/timings enough and it's a matter of when, not if, you'll get the dreaded boot failure and the Windows error notice that starts with "We're sorry, but Windows can't repair....".

EasyBCD (Free)
https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Ok atm i just set ram to 1066 and started raising the fsb, i will get back here when it gets unstable

[deleted]
ignore this reply

Attachments

• 220.png
    220.png
    21 KB · Views: 230
  • 220 fsb prime95.png
    220 fsb prime95.png
    47 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
New settings:
FSB: 245