• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD acting strange

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

organicpuzzle

Registered
I recently put together a new rig:

amd x2 6000+
asus m2n sli deluxe
patriot 2x1GB ram
evga 8800gts
hiper 530w psu
asus SATA DVD burner
seagate barracuda 400GB SATA HDD (from another computer)

For a few days I fought with this system to get Windows XP installed. I thought the ram was incompatible or something because it locked up randomly and frequently in the BIOS. The Windows installation would freeze and most frequently at the HD inspection part of the install. After taking the SATA drive out to use it in another computer again, I decided to just plug in an older IDE HD. I got Windows installed without a hitch and it seemed to work fine. I plugged the SATA drive in to get my backups off of it and the system started acting like the RAM was bad again, but not immediately. I know for sure the HD works and I tried different cables/sata ports. I'm actually on the SATA drive now. It works fine a lot of the time. It took me three ghosting attempts to actually get it to work and it takes about five tries for windows to start booting. If I were to restart right now it would get past POST and lock up at the black screen before Windows boots. I would restart and it would lock up at POST. I would turn it off completely and unplug the power, then restart and maybe work (maybe repeat the process one or two more times). The system randomly freezes and earlier I was getting BSoD for no apparent reason. I just can't figure out what's going on if the system only locks up with this SATA drive in, especially when it locks up in the BIOS and at POST with no errors reported. The SATA DVD burner doesn't have any adverse affect.

Could something be overheating? RAM seems abnormally hot, HDD has always ran a little hot. I have good cooling and plenty of power (psu tested). I just seems strange that a HDD would cause lock ups in BIOS! any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Back