• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Penyn CPU list!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonlazer

Sound the alarm!!!!!

QX9650.gif

One vote for getting Q9450!!!!!

The Q9450 is at the right price break for most folks running air, but for the extreme overclockers (like us crazies on the benchmarking team), the 8X multiplier might be too low. Heck, it'll take 500 FSB just to hit 4 gig. I might be leaning toward the Q9550.

I wonder if it is worth upgrading from my Q6600? I'm not thinking it is. Probably pass on this generation.

I'm thinking the only real advantage would be SSE4 instructions. I'm guessing the quads may overclock to 4ghz and maybe slightly higher, but the SSE4 is where it counts. On average, penryn is 5% better overall vs conroe. However, in gaming situations, the advantage stretched to %10-15.

I'm thinking the only real advantage would be SSE4 instructions. I'm guessing the quads may overclock to 4ghz and maybe slightly higher, but the SSE4 is where it counts. On average, penryn is 5% better overall vs conroe. However, in gaming situations, the advantage stretched to %10-15.

Where are you getting these numbers? I wanna see :eek:

8x is a bit annoying, damnit.. but pushing FSB on a P35 shouldn't be tooo bad.

The multi and the cache is a sweet spot, however presumably, the $316 price tag is prior to markups and retailer pricing. $316 is in bulk...

When the g0 Q6600 debut'ed at $266, I got it for $300 with tax/ship. So I'm thinking $316, we are probably looking at $360, but I would set aside $375 if anyone's seriously considering it.

SSE4, it wouldn't provide advantage unless there are specific apps that call on those instructions... isn't it? I mean by definition, it's an extra set of function calls built on die, it's a multi-media instruction set built in... so current apps wouldn't benefit from such a thing, but future apps will. The smaller 45nm should allow higher clocks, and there would be a benefit on that end, and just the basic revised innerworkings would provide better performance, at least that's what's touted by Intel.

I vote to stay with the q6600 at the very least til Nehalem even til after Nehalem (codenamed Gesher I believe).

What will the overclocking advantages of X38 be?

What do you think about E8300 vs. E8400 on DDR2 + Air.

Wolfdale vs. Conroe.
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/hwdb.php?tid=837360&tp=Intel-Penryn-Preview&rid=837360

They compare cpus at 2.33ghz. Also keep in mind these are only dualcore cpus. Hopefully, the scaling will be the same at higher speeds and when you add more cores.

omg nice, now I wanna see 3.2ghz speed comparisons!

That half-life 2 bench is killer, 50frames? good lord. Need more benches though, can't judge based on one website... but if this is true good lord lol

But I think what I'm most impresesd with is achieving all of this with those power/temp results... ... ... ... ...

if you haven't clicked on that link, go check it out. It's in chinese, I didn't install the chinese pack though hehe. You don't need it if you just wanna see the #'s.

Help a brother out.

What is "TDP (W)" and why would the QX9650 be 130 over the rest of the quads that say 95, Im thinking it the power they use, but could be way off.

Ive been holding off getting a quad for soo long now, cant wait till its November.

Back