• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How many SPEs does the PS3 have? I know a full Cell CPU has 8, but didn't they cut this down to 4 for the PS3? The PS3 sure does a helluva lot with what it has so I wonder how fast the full Cell CPU would be.

EDIT: PS3's can use only 7 out of the 8 SPEs. Also 1 is reserved for the OS so only 6 are used to fold.

Last edited:
How many SPEs does the PS3 have? I know a full Cell CPU has 8, but didn't they cut this down to 4 for the PS3? The PS3 sure does a helluva lot with what it has so I wonder how fast the full Cell CPU would be.
I think 6 are enabled. 1 completely disabled and 1 backup one in case of failure.

I do, it supplements my folding stats some what, something like 300pts per day. It dosent do as much as I hopped but its better than getting screwed with a hd-dvd player!

I do, it supplements my folding stats some what, something like 300pts per day. It dosent do as much as I hopped but its better than getting screwed with a hd-dvd player!
300? It should do 900...

Very tempted if it does give you a guaranteed 900pts a day...

I must point out though, if your goal is points (even more so then getting a PS3 for its gaming/bluray capabilities) then you can likely build a decent quad-core for about the same price of a PS3, or less, and it will net you at least three times the PPD of a PS3.

PS3 is a good system, but definitely not the best bang for the buck in terms of PPD. That title belongs solely to the quads at this point in time.

Back