• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800GX2 up and running

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

Thanks to ratbuddy for a great recommendation on a PSU.

Q6600 @ 3.7
9800GX2 @ 745 - 1850 - 1090

19030 3dmark06

Gonna play with it some more tomorrow

screenie.jpg

i'll tell you what.... this card runs HOT!!!!!! at an idle, it burns at 62C, under load its pullin 70+ and that was even at default clocks

i think the sandwich design is bad for temps, as there's no way to get better air moving around the fans and pieces directly. There's an EK block coming for it soon though I believe.

According to Nvidia, it doesn't throttle until 105C so you got some wiggle room yet ;)

Do you have a slot blower under it? It seems most of the heat from these things gets vented inside the case..

seems to be acting the way it should. if i shut down half the board in the nvidia control panel, i score 15200 in 3d06 just as i had with my g92 GTS

if i take the core clocks any higher it does the good ol' vista manuver "Display driver stopped responding but windows has recovered"

That is SOO much nicer then the blue screen and a reboot LOL

not sure how i'm gonna get it, but my goal is to get over 20000 3dmarks
my cpu is basically maxed, i think better cooling for the card with a little more voltage would be the right recipe.

Tomorrow, i'll probably try to lower the FSB to get my GHZ with the CPU. I know i've booted at 4 ghz when i first got this chip. that was a year ago, haven't been there since

Last edited:
Thanks to ratbuddy for a great recommendation on a PSU.

Q6600 @ 3.7
9800GX2 @ 745 - 1850 - 1090

19030 3dmark06

Gonna play with it some more tomorrow

i see that the resolution is hiding behind your score..at at resollution was that 3dmark06 ran? by how big the print is on your monitor i'd say 800x600 or 1024x768

if it is 1280x1024 nice score =)

Its idle temps are my load temps:eek:

same

i never get past 72C after many hours of gaming and i have my card clocked much higher than stock (the highest i can get without problems)

my bud has a 8800gtx superclocked which is overclocked even more and that thing runs so ****en hot

it hits 84C :eek: not sure why when i put it back to stock clocks it still hits 80 on load.

Just for all the haters that think i might be cheating with resolutions

If you'll notice, the reason my font looks strange is because the DPI scaling is changed.

with the fan on the card set at 55%, it idles around 58-59C. I haven't done any serious gaming with the hardware monitor on to see what it'll get to

screenie2.jpg

That score looks a about right i get 18.5k in xp with my clocks at something like 700/1800/1100 and a [email protected]

It seems though with 3dmark it benefits more with a cpu overclock with this card

Yeah i've noticed that as well, it seems that the score fluctuates more by changes in CPU.

Although, when i benched the card at defaults and my CPU oc'd, i got around 1000 marks less

i'll tell you what.... this card runs HOT!!!!!! at an idle, it burns at 62C, under load its pullin 70+ and that was even at default clocks

Wow, your stock temps are my OCed temps 0.o Yeah hopefully they come out with decent aftermarket cooling for it. Nice score, wish I could get that close to 20k.

Get the latest version of GPU-Z, 0.1.9. It will fill in a lot of those ghosted fields that your current version has. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1031/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.1.9.html

Cool thanks, just updated

Crank the fan to 100% and post temps please. I'm curious.

:beer:

The fan at 100% keeps idle temps (in an overclocked state) around 53C
GPU-Z reports that the PCB temps are the same as the core temps

The only water block option i've seen for this this is redonkulous. I'm hoping DD releases something that doesn't kill my wallet. I'm tempted to split the cards and apply AS5 on them.

EDIT: all these temps i've been giving are through rivatuner. In GPUZ it allows me to select the sensors to read on the individual cards. one card agrees with riva tuner, and the other card has the PCB temp and core temp and shows about 5 - 7 C less then rivatuner

Last edited:
Back