• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU dead after 2 hours? High pitched sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bencze

Registered
Hey there all,

Came back again with my series of bad luck. Got a Corsair 450vx today, used it for maybe 2 hours since I installed it (got a new case, too, that "works" at least ;) ).
Suddenly PC went off. I can't power it on. Absolutely nothing happens when I press power button. No leds on MB nothing. Well one thing, not sure if it was there earlier, maybe yes, I just noticed it. If I turn the PSU on by its switch in like 2 seconds it starts a quiet high pitched sound; it's there constantly till I turn it off, then in about 2 sec the sound stops.

I connected my old Enemax 420w and all seems to be fine with the PC (and hell at least I can come here and ask what happened to my PSU) :)

Do you think it's like, dead dead? I tried switching it on/off, even disconnecting it from wall connector leaving it a bit then connecting it (hey I'm stupid with PSUs, figured I'd try that one) but nothing happens. It just won't turn anything on not even its fan.

Appreciate any expert input :)

Sounds like its gone to me. Should have no problem RMAing it.

Can you smell any type of odor from it?

No, just the light fresh smell these things usually have out of the box. Didn't smoke or make any ugly sound my PC just stopped. No burning smell whatsoever. Something like that would make it obvious, well it's not working so it's obvious enough I guess but it's just so damn weird, just not doing anything while looks perfect.
It does look good, though. Will take it back to the store of course, I doubt it's temporary or anything, I mean my PC works with the old PSU no problem. Just hate to walk back with it, then go get a new one in a couple of days, install it again etc. Bleah. Oh well, **** happens. Hopefully the new one will work more than 2 hours. I wonder how the QA works for these things really if it stopped after 2 hours. Maybe they don;t test them just put a sticker on them as tested... ;)

Umm.. this morning I have reconnected the new PSU for one last test just before I call the store... and it works... which is good, but still, like wth is going on... bleah I do hate computers ;)

Just RMA it. I've seen power supply that refuses to work unless it was unplugged for a while. Since it seems to "work" when it's completely cooled down and discharged, it could be flaky component inside so swap it for another.

It wouldn't be fun to have a flaky power supply let loose some blue smoke and kill the rest of your PC in the process.

So true. It was just something I wanted to test before I call the store. Anyway they're supposed to be in on Saturday but they don't answer.
Interesting though, PSU stopped again after like 10 mins, shortly after I wrote the reply here :) Weird things, these PSUs. :)
Ah well, thanks for the replies. I always manage to find the hardware with weirdest problems. Hopefully this was just a really random bad one and I'll be fine with the next.

I've seen weirder before. Once when building a 486 PC I used a 32 bit video card and 32 bit I/O card with IDE ports. After some wrangling, I found only Oak branded video card will work with the I/O card, any other video card refuses to display if the 32-bit slots are shared. Never did find out why as it was replaced 6 months later with a 133MHz P1 with onboard I/O ports (not ATx style) and onboard IDE and a 2MB Diamond PCI video card.

And a 512k Macintosh (the very second model released bearing Macintosh brand), it used to scream like a banshee (very LOUD) and the display would turn to garbage. It was a bug with System 6 OS.

Hmm, yea, I guess our PCs don't have that many compatibility problems now. Still remember the old Cyrixes and AMDs - ouch :)

Back