• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSP or DS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

Well thinking about buying either 2x ds's or 2x psp's for my 4 year old son and I.
I been a pc gamer since the days of quake.

Personally i'm just sick to death of gaming on the pc. Not really big on buying a console either. Just because i tend to be busy and on the go most the time. So i'm looking for good portable systems for him and I to buy and play together possibly.

Problem is i have zero knowledge these days of the portables. Only game i'm excited about is diablo 3 and i was actually about to part out my new computer and sell off the parts just because i tend to only use my computer for web browsing and work related stuff (i got my P4 machine sitting here that is more then enough to do what i do with it, so not much reason to even keep this machine i just built feb.).

I'm leaning toward ds just because of Advanced wars days of ruin (also heard its got online play and you can share maps also) i the first two for the SP for ever absolutely obessed with it back then.

but just looking for some advice. Opinions. I tend to like hack and slash rpgs stuff like that.

PSP just seems like it does have the potential to all the sudden jump right out there because of everything it can do. Just least from the quick look around i took lacks any really truely great games.

Get the DSes. Way better games for your sons age level (Seriously, do you want your 4 year old playing God of War?)

Plus the DS has some incredibly solid games. Advance Wars does rock mucheth.

Yeah. Your son's 4. Get a DS. I doubt if he's going to be installing custom firmware or downloading mp3s and whatnot.

YOU'RE going to hate the DS... nothing but children's games recently. But I'm assuming you'll want to play WITH your son, so you have to choice.

You're going to miss God of War and all of those other wonderfully violent games... But at least you'll have Hotel Dusk and the Ace Attorney games.

After that it's My Little Pony all the way... (I suggest you learn how to play Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Magician ROCKS.)

We own both systems and I personally favor the PSP by far but for young children you cant beat the DS for both its games and sturdiness.

hmmm

i had a old ds back when they came out but i just at the time got sick of waiting for online titles to come out and just was to many kiddish games for me.

but i thought maybe after all this time there would be more games i would like i dont mind kidishness just i like games that can keep me busy.

Maybe ill get him a ds and me a psp lol.

I seen diablo 3 is coming lol was gonna keep my gaming computer for it but i think ill just walk away sell my gaming pc off. Them type of games are just to addictive and pull me away from family time to much (wow).

also i had thought about getting a wii or something for me and him but only problem is i have a 56" projection tube tv (bought two years ago was the last one abc warehouse had left). I'm afraid of putting burn marks in.

The DS has loads of old pc strategy/city builder games either out or coming.
Including "The Settlers"
I'm stealing my girlfriends.

I don't touch my gf's DS, tried it didn't like it. On the other hand I am often amazed by the games the PSP can play.
As I kid I really like to play my father's games instead of most kid's game at the time I am still grateful for letting me play elite. ;)

If only they have made it a PS2 portable, I guess they didn't want in house competition, the PSP2 will play the PS2 games hopefully.

Back