• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can a PSU die by turning off the main switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jarthel

last night, this situation happened to me.

Windows was running but I was lazy to shut it down using normal procedures since I was installing winxp on the backup PC and I cannot be bothered reconnecting the usb KB/mouse to the PC I want to shutdown.

So anyway, I turned off the PC using the switch at the back of the PSU. when I tried turning it on again, nothing happened.

I opened up PSU and checked if the mains cable from the switch to the PSU pcb is conducting AC. And there's no problem with it. I was initially thinking I may have broken the switch.

I then checked the fuse and there's no problem at all. the PSU won't just power up even when I used the Vsb-to-ground trick.

any other possibilities that could've happened to kill my PSU?

thank you

As I mentioned over at H, shorting 5VSB to ground will not turn it on. You need the green wire.

Shorting 5VSB to ground will keep it from starting up. It could even kill the unit depending on how well the short protection works - Topower built units like the Tagan don't have the best build quality to start with.

Back