• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did my CPU degrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Priv

So basicly my CPU was always running at 3.6GHz 1.37V this was 100% stable with memtest, intelburntest and prime95 blend/small fft.

A month or two ago I did a benchmark run with my Q6600 and pushed it to around 1.55V cpu-z reading. Since that benchmark run my Q6600 has been acting up weird, I cant pass prime95 anymore, but memtest and intelburntest pass fine? At first I thought prime95 might be bugged but my computer has also been showing signs of instability, settings of certain programs changing and very rarely even BSODs.

So far I have tried upping FSB term voltage, and northbridge voltage, both did not make my system more stable. I have now increased RAM, FSB and NB voltage all at the same time just to test if it is CPU related or not, hoping not :(.

What bothers me the most though is that intelburntest is showing that my system is 100% stable.

small update: Neither of the other 3 voltages seemed to make prime95 more stable, now trying vcore of 1.424 :(. I also might try disabling LLC.

Last edited:
man, why did u increase the voltage in the first place? you are considered lucky for a 1.37v for a q6600 3.6ghz. My 3.2 runs at 1.4v man(prime95 24hr stable)

get back to the stablest settings, people are going for less voltage man. ur like the only overclocker who KNOWS the fact that your system is already stable and STILL wana increase the voltage. :S

maybe this will help, get back to DEFULT settings in bios, and re-overclock everything.

and dont just run prime95 for 3 hours, people runs it overnight. my 3.2 overnight stable and load at 42c constant

if its the benchmarking that cause the error, MAYBE your volrage are too low, a 1.4 for 3.2ghz stable. try 1.45 :S

man, why did u increase the voltage in the first place? you are considered lucky for a 1.37v for a q6600 3.6ghz. My 3.2 runs at 1.4v man(prime95 24hr stable)

get back to the stablest settings, people are going for less voltage man. ur like the only overclocker who KNOWS the fact that your system is already stable and STILL wana increase the voltage. :S

maybe this will help, get back to DEFULT settings in bios, and re-overclock everything.

and dont just run prime95 for 3 hours, people runs it overnight. my 3.2 overnight stable and load at 42c constant

if its the benchmarking that cause the error, MAYBE your volrage are too low, a 1.4 for 3.2ghz stable. try 1.45 :S

Ok there is nothing wrong with the vcore. 1.424V still does not make prime95 any more stable. So I believe that my CPU did not degrade. The benching run was only for like 30 minutes or so :p. So I didnt try to find a stable setting. Had my Q6600 run at 4.2 GHz though :attn:. Also 1.55V is the maximum voltage for a 65nm processor before it gets damaged, so that is why I never assumed this and it seems I am right about it as increasing vcore did nothing.

Anyways, I am now trying to run PL8 instead of PL7, seeing that intelburntest does not find any errors I do not think it has to do with vcore, as I assumed. Prime95 blend still crashed within 10 minutes with a vcore of 1.424V, neither did increasing NB to 1.45V help, FSB Term volt to 1.4V or RAM to 2.1V.

Now to just find the error :p. Might have to look at tRFC and increase it to 55. Hopefully I can figure this out.

Plan B is resetting CMOS and just set my old settings manually. Plan C would be bios update and hope for the best :(.

Update: PL8 did not fix it either. Still errored out after like 10 minutes. I am seriously guessing Prime95 is bugged for me.
Update: Prime95 not bugged, OCCT detects error too :(.

Last edited:
Loadline calibration. It makes sure that the voltage does not fluctuate between idle and load of your system. Which allows for a lower bios voltage setting.

Now trying to run my memory at DDR2-900 5-5-5-15 just to see if it is the memory, all other settings on auto except for voltages and frequencies.

Update: I think I cracked the nut! I did nut run a full 12 hrs+ test yet but OCCT did not crash instantly with my memory at DDR2-900 after a bios reset, now trying with my old settings again, will know soon enough :D. Gives me alot of hope that my CPU is indeed not degrading. DDR2-1128 gave an error within 4 minutes. I think I have found what is causing the problem :). Trying DDR2-1081 with PL7 now.

Last edited:
Back