• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 Cores.... 128 Threads... WOW!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like they finally caught the drift from Sun's Coolthreads architecture.

I've got 2 boxes that have one 8 core T2 CPU each that can run 64 threads. I was pulling some awesome numbers on SETI.

I know RISC hasn't made the inroads x86 has, but it certainly helped pave the road for CISC chips like x86.

Anybody remember the Apple G5 commercials? The world's first 64-bit desktop?
I laughed and asked -- what is that Sun Ultra10 (built 1997 I think?) I have sitting right there?!!?

Anyways, cool stuff. I can't wait 'till it trickles down to cheapo average-joe commodity hardware so I can have a screaming system for cheap.

OP, I think you read it wrong, look again.

Those looking to build serious servers out of the Nehalem-EX will be able to build systems that scale up to eight-sockets that are capable of processing 128 threads simultaneously.
That is 16 threads per processor, which is exactly what the 8 core will have.

This processor does NOT have 8 cores with 128 threads.

OP, I think you read it wrong, look again.

That is 16 threads per processor, which is exactly what the 8 core will have.

This processor does NOT have 8 cores with 128 threads.

You got me, meant to say 8 socket :)

1)See santa I have been good
2)Ive worked hard all year....this income tax is MINE
3)Honestly Honey, that I7 build is out of date
4)I will only spend overtime money......

look like my next build...

5) Ill never ask for anything again....:santa: until the 12 core processor comes out

fixed :p

I will start saving for one now...so when it is obsolete in a few years I can afford one! BTW...can someone please give them some lessons or something before putting them in front of a camera. It could only be worse if the IBM guy had a stuttering problem.

Haha, I noticed that too, kinda funny, you would figure they would have either edited it out, did another take, or he wouldn't be camera shy by now.

Looks like that "8 core fever" is catching: been thinking(dreaming actually) about this too.

:drool:

Gimme just a little reason to build out one & I'm on-it! :beer:

I think I have one big reason. 64 SMP VM's on one rig. Imagine the folding powah........:drool:

64? Just run native linux dude! I don't think with that many process that the ppd difference between 4 and 2 core workunits will matter :p. Pade will have to release a new workunit and client to take advantage.

64? Just run native linux dude! I don't think with that many process that the ppd difference between 4 and 2 core workunits will matter :p. Pade will have to release a new workunit and client to take advantage.

You will need an extra job to pay for the electricity bill. :bang head

Back