• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel releases X-25V (with TRIM!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Intel releases X25-V (with TRIM!)

Here's the Intel product page: http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/value/overview.htm

Looks like this is Kingston's (Intel) 40GB SSD drive under the Intel name, with added support for TRIM.

I originally saw this over at Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-ssd-value-x25-v-postville,9404.html

Looks perfect for a laptop. I'll probably pick one of these up if I can find it for around $100.

Some power specs from the datasheet:
Active: 150mW (under MobileMark 2007)
Idle: 75mW

Last edited:
whats wrong with using a OCZ vertex/agility/summit in a laptop? i haven't looked at power numbers. Does the intel pull less amps then the other drives i listed?

This drive is 33% bigger for 25% less money compared to the Vertex 30GB. 30GB isn't enough for me, but 40GB is. That's mostly why I'm interested.

Last edited:
IIRC, the writes on those Kingston's (intels) are SLOW for an SSD...Heck even the read is brutally slow for an SSD.

http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/ssd/v_series.asp?id=2

The intel one has decent reads, but wow....35MB writes? I would personally save my money.
http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/value/prodbrf/323039.pdf

your first link is for a jmicron drive. All of the drives in the V series except the 40gb model have a jmircron controller

Also the listed speeds are under what they actually perform at. Mine does 220mb seq read and 45mb seq writes. The only way this drive is slow is in seq writes which really don't matter for a drive this small if you are using it for OS and a few games. After you get the drive set up you are not going to be writing many large files to it if any at all.

Where these drives shine are in 4k read and writes. Most of the files that the drive will be dealing with as an OS drive are around this size. In 4k intel drives kill the competition.

Simply put these drives make great OS drives at a very attractive price point. The low seq writes look bad but you cant seq write much to a 40gb drive anyways after you install the OS and a few games.

Attachments

• randomread.png
    randomread.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 777
  • randomwrite.png
    randomwrite.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 767
sequential writes are the only thing that is overly low, but the 4k random writes hands the barefoot drives there testicles.

your first link is for a jmicron drive. All of the drives in the V series except the 40gb model have a jmircron controller

Also the listed speeds are under what they actually perform at. Mine does 220mb seq read and 45mb seq writes. The only way this drive is slow is in seq writes which really don't matter for a drive this small if you are using it for OS and a few games. After you get the drive set up you are not going to be writing many large files to it if any at all.

Where these drives shine are in 4k read and writes. Most of the files that the drive will be dealing with as an OS drive are around this size. In 4k intel drives kill the competition.

Simply put these drives make great OS drives at a very attractive price point. The low seq writes look bad but you cant seq write much to a 40gb drive anyways after you install the OS and a few games.
Precisely. They're much much faster than a typical laptop drive in everything but sequential writes.

Right. I know they are tons faster than mechanical. Thats a given. But they are still slower than most, which was my point. Sure its attractive at that price point.

I just linked the data sheet to both V series.

Glad it reads way way more than it says.

They're not, though. It's got faster random writes than the OCZ Vertex.

These are perfect for laptops as my 80gb X-25M performance is not fully usable on my laptop. It benches only 132mb/s read and 83mb/s write in ATTO. This is on ICHR7 on a Dell XPS 1210. The performance is very good though even though its limited by the laptop but I plan on getting one of these to put in my laptop and move the X-25M to my desktop.

these drives are the perfect solution for HTPC, netbooks, and mid to low end notebooks. For these applications I see no reason to get any other SSD except maybe the 30gb vertex if you can find it cheaper. They are good for desktops and high end notebooks too but should be avoided if you plan to encode or edit anything on your drives as the seq writes really slow down these tasks.

A ton of people have been getting two for raid 0 to make the writes better but this doesn't help the IOPS enough to justify it IMHO and you still don't have much space to work with. I have one in my desktop coupled with a 500gb Samsung F3, the fastest hdd for seq writes, so that when I need to rip, encode, and edit larger files I'm not held down by low space and slow writes. I also have one in my netbook too.

Last edited:
whats wrong with using a OCZ vertex/agility/summit in a laptop? i haven't looked at power numbers. Does the intel pull less amps then the other drives i listed?

The intel baised drives draw less power then other solid state drives. However even though the percentage difference is huge the number is so low for all solid state drives that its not that big of an advantage.

I saw a graph of power consumption somewhere but I am having some serious problems finding it right now.

What I can say though is that when I moved from a mechanical drive to the kingston drive my netbook temps dropped significantly and now the fan almost never comes on. The underside of my netbook used to get hot and the keyboard would get warm. Now the underside is warm and the keyboard is around ambient temp. I do kind of miss the keyboard getting warm but man my left leg would get hot whenever I used my netbook before upgrading it and I sure don't miss that.

I had 2 60 ocz vertex and now have 2 80 intel drives and the intel drives whoop some hiney. no way I would go back esp with what they are pricing the ocz drives at.

I was not following these drives, but is this going to be the only X-25V? I would be interested in a value 80GB because I cant work with just 40GB, but maybe it's a value SSD just because it's small...

I don't think there will be larger X-25V drives. The reason I feel that they named the 40gb model X-25V instead of X-25M is due to the halving of seq writes due to using less channels (5 channels vs 10) which required a name change. Due to the way intels drives are made unless denser chips come out 10 channels will always be used for 80gb drives. I don't think denser chips will be introduced on these controllers. Intel will most likely make denser chips on a new process which would require a different controller and thus an entirely different series of products.

I am hoping that intel comes up with a firmware for the 80 and 160 to really open up the sequential transfers when the new sandforce ssd's come out, to keep my intels competitive

Back