• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD on it's way.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

After all the reading, I decided to go with the IntelX25-V. Got the 40GB from Newegg for ~$130. Was getting some other small parts, so I figured why not.

Looking forward to it getting here. NewEgg said approx 10-12 days.

good choice, as a boot drive I think you will like it better than you would have any of the other non inter drives.

Heh, was going to ask why it's taking so long. How are you shipping it to Germany?

They can't guarantee times, it is coming to APO. Worth it though for the price. I almost bought one local about a week ago, but they weren't much less and they weren't Intel. Tried to get the same Intel, but the 1 place that had it local was going to be well over $200 US.

I'll be ordering the same drive the end of this week. Along with some new ram, and a 5850. Mine will be coming from NJ to RI, so it'll probably only take a day though, more than likely I'll have mine before you :(

I'll be ordering the same drive the end of this week. Along with some new ram, and a 5850. Mine will be coming from NJ to RI, so it'll probably only take a day though, more than likely I'll have mine before you :(

Probably, let me know how you like it. Some stuff gets here real quick, heck I had 4 wheels from Minnesota get here during the holidays in only 7 days, but Newegg seems to take their time processing APO shipments, that and they charge way too much. A lot of co workers switched to Tigerdirect for cheaper and sometimes free shipping, but they don't notice the prices are higher. This same SSD had free shipping from TD, but cost $30 more.

Anyway, back on topic, I am looking forward to it. I think it is a heck of a deal for what I have been told is one of the best SSDs on the market.

I'm sure there is a reason, but I was just wondering why someone wouldn't just wait until they had $20 more to get a drive that has 35% faster reads, 50% faster writes, but is 30GB (OCZ Vertex)? Is the $20 and 10GB worth the reduced speeds?

I initally wanted the 30GB OCZ but after reading multiple reviews that stated the Intel X-25 was all in all the "better" drive, I went for that. Part of it was the 30GB to 40GB. I was a little worried about space, but that wasn't a deciding factor. I read some reviews where the OCZ was faster at this or that, but in the overall grading it was like 3 points higher than the Intel, but 10GB less. Also I have seen that the Intel retains it's speed longer than the OCZ which "clutters up" in the long run.

Just what I read, but if I am that far off, let me know. I will put the Intel in the wife's laptop and get an OCZ for me.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I think you may have been reading reviews of the Intel X25-M (Read: 250MB/s Write: 70MB/s) vs OCZ Vertex (Read: 230MB/s Write: 80MB/s). The Intel X25-V has 170MB/s reads and 35MB/s writes.

Both Intel and OCZ have TRIM and/or GC to deal with speed degradation over time, so that shouldn't be an issue any more.

Also, I noticed you have "80GB Intel X25-V" in your sig, but an 80GB V doesn't exist. There's 80GB M and 40GB V.

I think you may have been reading reviews of the Intel X25-M (Read: 250MB/s Write: 70MB/s) vs OCZ Vertex (Read: 230MB/s Write: 80MB/s). The Intel X25-V has 170MB/s reads and 35MB/s writes.

Both Intel and OCZ have TRIM and/or GC to deal with speed degradation over time, so that shouldn't be an issue any more.

Also, I noticed you have "80GB Intel X25-V" in your sig, but an 80GB V doesn't exist. There's 80GB M and 40GB V.

What, are you calling me stupid? Do you think I would do something so stupid as to not fully read what I just spent over $125 on....

Um.... Um.....

:bang head

So, yeah maybe I did. :) :) :)

It has been a long night, I work night shift and haven't been sleeping well due to the 39.5 weeks pregnant wife.

So now what? I know it is faster than the 5400 drive I have in there now, so that is good, but performance wise should I get the faster OCZ 30GB or keep the 40GB for now and wait until I can get a nice 80-100GB???

I wasn't insinuating stupidity, I hope it didn't come across that way :chair: I just know, from experience, that it's easy to make careless mistakes. I thought I would bring this whole deal up just in case.

You definitely have a valid excuse for the SSD mistake, congrats on fatherhood.

The X25-V is definitely faster than mechanical HDDs, but it's on the lower end of Intel/Indilinx based SSDs.

That's a tough decision, whether to keep and wait or go for the speed...
I'm thinking since it's faster than what you're used to, you may be satisfied with the speed enough to hold you over. But, I dunno...

I have no problem either putting the X25-V in wifes Laptop or giving it to pops(he could use an upgrade). I was so set on the Intel because I read the X-25M reviews and I bought it thinking it was a super deal, still good though. Since I like to have the latest and greatest :), should I go with OCZ Vertex, OCZ Vertex Turbo or Intel X-25M?

Intel X25-M 80GB$259.99(not available)
or
Intel X25-M 80GB$299.99

OCZ Vertex 30GB$139.99 after MIR

OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB$149.99 after MIR

OCZ Vertex 60GB$179.00 after MIR

OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB$239.00 after MIR

It OCZ Vertex 60GB is the best for the money. IMO, and it looks to be yours as well, the price difference doesn't justify the "Turbo" version. Plus, the Turbo doesn't have any firmware updates, I'm guessing that's b/c firmware is what's giving the extra speed.

Also, I try to look at the sustained writes where possible, since that's more of an average, the Vertex has 80MB/s, Turbo has 100MB/s.

The reason people like the X25-M is b/c of the high reads, they don't care much about writes. You shouldn't be writing a whole lot to an SSD anyway, just install the OS and most used apps. 60GB should be plenty of space, about 40GB of my 80GB is used. I think I should have gotten the OCZ Vertex to save some $ since I don't need the space.

I chose the 40gb Intel because of the price and extra space. Too scared about 30gb for what I want to put on it, the extra space for 40gb feels like it'll go a long way. Plus, the price. $115 for 40gb. I missed the OCZ Shellshocker, it was a week early. Otherwise I probably would have sucked it up and gotten two :(

The Vertex 30GB shellshocker wasn't really that special as it is $100 AR (plus nominal shipping) all month from microcenter so the advantage from newegg was really just a lower rebate. To me, the XM25-V for $115 shipped ($10 more but sans rebate hassle) not only provides more capacity but also dependabilty and solid support. The OCZ forum is waaay busier than it ought to be.

The Vertex 30GB shellshocker wasn't really that special as it is $100 AR (plus nominal shipping) all month from microcenter so the advantage from newegg was really just a lower rebate. To me, the XM25-V for $115 shipped ($10 more but sans rebate hassle) not only provides more capacity but also dependabilty and solid support. The OCZ forum is waaay busier than it ought to be.

By the end of the day though, the OCZ drive had made it down to $115 shipped out the door, $85 after MiR. I agree with the rebate part though, I never factor those in, don't even mail them out heh.

Back