• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu, or video card bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I'm trying a great, free program that will let you view any game or avi/dvd in 3d, with the old red/blue cardboard 3d glasses. However, the video card has to do double the work (drawing each image twice, I guess), and can be slow on some games - I can't even get an acceptable framerate with some games, at 640x480 with all details set to low (far cry 2 and test drive unlimited come to mind). I have:

CPU: intel q8200 @ stock
mobo: asus p5q SE
RAM: generic 2x 2gb ddr2-800
O/S: win 7 x64
video: radeon 4870, 1gb
PSU: coolermaster 500 watt

I didn't think the video card would be much of a problem, because it seems like the second-highest performing one out there (I know there's a 5870, but about this, I was told that a geforce 7600gs performs about as well as a 6800 - e.g just because it's a next-gen card, if they are both mid-range within their classes, might not notice much difference). Also, I'm told that the 3d driver (it's here, btw) can't utilize cards in crossfire, so I couldn't use them to render half of the info each.

Maybe the cpu is letting me down? If so, should I get a core i7 860, or something?

I'd be interested in a couple of users trying out that 3d driver (works with any card, and any type of monitor) and seeing how well your systems run with it.

I would think it could be his RAM - it's super slow and only 2 GB. Try doubling it to four, and getting the fastest type of RAM your system supports before upgrading the cpu.

I would think it could be his RAM - it's super slow and only 2 GB. Try doubling it to four, and getting the fastest type of RAM your system supports before upgrading the cpu.

It won't be his RAM, true 4GB could make a difference maybe but the OP problem lies with most games still using only one or two cores and that 2.33Ghz speed. Upping to 3ghz should improve things a lot.

Back