• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HayesK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He probably left them running to go visit family in Florida, hoping no power outage would take them out. He wasn't lucky. He's got too many to put them all on UPSes.

He probably left them running to go visit family in Florida, hoping no power outage would take them out. He wasn't lucky. He's got too many to put them all on UPSes.

Correct. About 3/4 of the farm is on UPS, but even the ones with UPS can only survive brief outages, which also varies with loading and battery capacity. The clients have issues too, which makes it difficult to run extended periods with no intervention... At least some are still running.

Farm will return to full power after the Holidays. :beer:

Thats good to hear :) Thanks for the update HayesK, and happy holidays :)

Returned home Tuesday night, Jan 5. All the rigs were down, UPS alarms were beeping, but no rigs suffered any hardware damage (had to use a restore point to straighten out one rig). Took a few hours to get everything running again. All the i7 rigs turned in a bigadv yesterday, resulting in 1,289,307 points for Friday, 1/7/2011, my largest single day contribution.

Based on the logs and some neighbor info, my house experienced two power outages while I was away over the Holidays. On Tuesday, Dec 21 at ~9am, there was a brief outage due to the power company replacing the electric meter, which knocked down all the rigs without UPS, ~1/3 of the farm. On Wednesday, Dec 29 at ~330pm, there was an extended outage due to a storm, which knocked out the remaining rigs.

The power meter replacement was scheduled for January, but apparently the contractor was ahead of schedule, arrived early and used a ladder to get access to the meter in the back yard, which is surrounded by a 6' picket fence with locked gates. Fortunately, the outage was brief and the UPS were able to keep many of the rigs going.

The extended outage occured during a 12 hour storm. I have been home on occasion during an extended outage, and it is a miserable feeling to hear UPS alarms beeping, and not being able to do anything but hope the power will return before the batteries are exhausted.

I have been home on occasion during an extended outage, and it is a miserable feeling to hear UPS alarms beeping, and not being able to do anything but hope the power will return before the batteries are exhausted.
If you're willing to "roll your own" then you could do something like this. :thup:
(Used rack-mount UPS equipment, minus their batteries, can be obtained for ~$50 or so.)

Attachments

• ups.jpg
    ups.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 93
Back