• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 4gb inherently faster than 8gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

Why do we always recommend 2x2gb of dual channel for overclocking? If all else is equal (brand, manufacturer, timings, voltages, etc.), is there any reason a 2x2gb kit is any faster than a 2x4gb kit?

Look at these two kits:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231401

Same brand, same timings, same voltage, same model number except for a 4 or an 8 (for the size of the kit) and a H vs. an M right at the end of the model number.

If I wasn't concerned about the price difference and was just as prepared to buy the more expensive kit, is there any real reason why I would choose the 4gb kit instead? Is the 4gb kit somehow inherently faster at storing and fetching data than the 8gb kit?

The primary concern is for overclocking. A 2x 2 GB. RAM kit will tend to OC better than an 4x 2 GB. or perhaps a 2x 4GB. Two DIMMS are easier for the memory controller to run OC'ed than four. 4 GB. may also be easier for the memory controller than 8 GB. as far as cycle time required to read/write all address.

As long as you are comparing two RAM kits with the same frequency and latency, then there is no inherent performance advantage at the stock speed/latencies of one RAM kit over the other.

I think the issue is stability and NEED, nothing right now besides advanced simulators, and photo or video editing will make use of more than 4 gig, and (though i m no expert) i believe that 4 gig is just less prone to variance and easier to fine tune with fewer variables in place.

The primary concern is for overclocking. A 2x 2 GB. RAM kit will tend to OC better than an 4x 2 GB. or perhaps a 2x 4GB. Two DIMMS are easier for the memory controller to run OC'ed than four. 4 GB. may also be easier for the memory controller than 8 GB. as far as cycle time required to read/write all address.

As long as you are comparing two RAM kits with the same frequency and latency, then there is no inherent performance advantage at the stock speed/latencies of one RAM kit over the other.

I understand that a 2x2 kit and a 4x2 kit throws everything off. I'm asking specifically about 2x2 vs. 2x4.

I'm thinking about stepping up to an 2x4gb kit because prices are so low right now and I'd like to have a little more overhead for folding. I'd also like to pick up somethign with a little less latency that what I have right now. I'm not dead set on that G Skill kit because it looks like it runs at 2T, I was just using it as an example for my question.

2x4 often isn't any more or less stable then 4x2, both of which are tougher to OC then 2x2.
Mostly though it's cost, very very few people need >4gb, so buying 8gb is a waste of money.

:cry: Darn you. I tried to think of a response but cannot. There is a difference in the two that you listed. I see that one mentions Ecc while the other dosen't and one has a timing at the end that is 2N. Not that I know what that really means but just pointing those two out specifically.

I am going to have to watch this thread now. I want to know the answer. I run 8GB of DDR2 in my system, just for kicks, and have my comp OCed. I could see more DIMMs adding stress to the NB but I don't see where more memory would add more stress.

My guess would be that it might have something to do with allocation of how the DIMM is being used. ie The info is spread over all of the memory chips. If that is the case I could understand because there could be some issues introduced with synchronizing the info. So instead of 4 chips with info on them you now have 8 chips with info on them. I hope that makes sense, can you tell that I am grasping at straws? :shrug:

EDIT: Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread. I just really like the question that you proposed. :D So from what I can gather that you are saying Bob. It isn't the physical number of DIMMs that matters, but rather it is the amount of memory that they hold. ie 4x1 isn't much different that 2x2

Bob: Why is 2x4 harder to overclock than 2x2? I understand 4x2 being more difficult... I'm trying to figure out why 2x4 is supposedly harder to overclock or slower than 2x2, all else being dead equal. What is it about 2x4 that makes it any different than 2x2 when both sets are made by the same manufacturer, batched by the same company, run the same voltages and the same timings? What, exactly, is different besides the actual volume of memory?

Bob: Why is 2x4 harder to overclock than 2x2? I understand 4x2 being more difficult... I'm trying to figure out why 2x4 is supposedly harder to overclock or slower than 2x2, all else being dead equal. What is it about 2x4 that makes it any different than 2x2 when both sets are made by the same manufacturer, batched by the same company, run the same voltages and the same timings? What, exactly, is different besides the actual volume of memory?

I'd like to know that, too, though I happen to have 4x4 right now :)

As indicated in my post above, higher density RAM has more physical addresses that must be accessed and thus may require slower latencies than lower density RAM. This RAM may also not OC as well as lower density DIMMs. In any case the performance diff would be insignificant so if you desire 8 GB. go for it.

Back