• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have win 7 pro 32 bit, want win 7 64 bit. cheapest way to buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

I have and currently using windows 7 professional 32 bit. I would like to buy windows 7 professional 64 bit.

What is the cheapest way for me to do this.

Thanks.

If its for use on the same computer (ie you want to reuse your current license) there are a few different ways of going about it depending on how you aquired your current license.

If you bought a retail copy of Win7, then you can order a 64bit disk for like $10 shipping and handling directly from MS. Google should help you find the link to do it or you can just call MS customer support. These days they may even provide a free download through digitalriver?

If you bought an OEM copy things are a bit more difficult. As the OEM you are responsible for providing your own support and are responsible for coming up with a 64bit disk. The easiest legal ways are to borrow one from a friend or buy another license and this time select 64bit (not really cost effective, but it does give you another copy of windows to use).

If you got it from Dell/HP/Asus/etc. contact them. If you are in warenty still they typically will give you a disk for free (or at least that used to be common).

EDIT: if you meant you want a Second copy of windows then your cheapest option will be an OEM copy from somewhere like newegg, unless you are a student and have an old copy of XP or Vista laying around that you can "upgrade" via one of the student deals MS has going on. Alternatively if you are a student check with your school, some offer discounted rates.

Back