• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good fans for radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe12

Registered
Im not sure of the nocturas and how well they deal with back pressure, someone else can probably fill in that blank. Im having good success with silverstones AP series of fans right now the 121 would fit your application. Also Yate loon mediums are very popular and reasonably silent, not to mention inexpensive.

Personally for my WC setup I looked for a good balance between CFM and dB.
I went with Yate Loon medium speed fans.

The fans you linked are from a good mfg. but Ive never used them.
That rad has a high FPI (fins per inch), so you will need more CFM than a lower FPI rad.

I used to run that exact radiator, same size too @ 240 ... tossed Yate Loon mediums on it and they worked pretty good.

What hardware do you plan on cooling with that rad? A higner heatload is going to require fast and loud fans. I ran the 360 version of that rad on my rig for about a year, when I eventually moved on to a thicker rad with a lower fin density, which allowed me to run quieter fans. The GTS rads are only 1" thick, and 30 FPI. They are also quite restrictive as far as flow rates go. My suggestion would be to look into a rad with a more current design. The GT Stealth design is atleast 5 years old.

In order to keep my temps under control with the GT Stealth, I had to run a set of Delta screamers.

I'm planning on buying the Black Ice GT Stealth 240 radiator for a single CPU loop. Would either one of these fans be good for this particular radiator:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=12&lng=en
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=25&lng=en

I plan on using a Swiftech XTL CPU block, and the XSPC X20 450 pump/ reservoir combo, with 1/2 ID PrimoChill tubing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Joe, what processor, your planned overclock, and your tolerance to noise level?

It's an old rad, it needs some pretty good fans to work. Your choices aren't fast enough or have enough pressure to work with that rad. Other have stated it's a high FPI rad. It's also not near as good as more modern rads. Thus more noise for less cooling than other rads.

If your going to use that rad, get at a minimum some 2000 RPM fans on it, like the cheap but good Yate Loon high spped fans.

If your fully new at watercooling, maybe you should start here before you buy one single part.

Our stickies up top and this link.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

I plan on running a single loop to cool my i7 930, and hope to get it past 4ghz. The quieter the setup the better. I was looking at the Swiftech MCR220 radiator. I believe it has a lower fin density than the Black Ice rad I was looking at previously. Is this radiator a good choice for my build, or can anyone recommend a better radiator, around the same price range? (I plan on using a Swiftech XTL CPU block, and the XSPC X20 450 pump/ reservoir combo, with 1/2 ID PrimoChill tubing). Also would the Noctua fans I linked in my previous post be a good choice for the radiator, or should I consider other fans?

theres a triple radiator comparison posted over at skineelabs that alot of people link to. Use google for even more comparisons and data. Theres a shedload of info on most radiators out there if your willing to go and find it.

If you are looking for quiet, the Stealth is definitely not the rad you need. It is fairly restrictive as far as flow, due to the narrow water channels in the rad, and with 30 FPI, I found the airflow sweet spot to be around 2700 RPM and higher (atleast with my setup). The Swiftech MCR rads are 14 FPI, so they are better suited to lower speed fans (meaning quiter). Here is some data posted by skinnee. The Swiftech will also require less static pressure from the fans, so you won't need to go with 38mm beasts. To compare the double to the triple in the review, just keep in mind the double is 2/3 of the triple, meaning without increasing fan speed, it can effectively cool 2/3 of the heat load without changing the delta T.

If all you plan to cool is the CPU, you could get virtually silent running an MCR320 or MCR420, being that they may be a bit overkill for what you are doing. The upside is that you would have a little room to add in a low watt GPU, by just adding some tubing and a block. I wouldn't recommend that with the triple, but I think the quad would do ok.

If you dont mind thick rads then I would reccommend the XSPC RX rads. I have 3 of them on my 2600k alone (waiting for GPU blocks) and their nice I have them all paired with Med speed Yates and its not Silent but it is quiet! Until the 6950s ramp up :bang head

Back