• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3days and off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

Ok, the time has come, and I am done wussy footing around... after this p6904 in 3 days, the rig is going off line... The wife told me I have to make money before I can spend money... and I have not yet advertized my parts, which will set me back a week or two... then I gotta buy my new parts, and build it into my HAF932 (I am a novice modder with minimal tools too)... so I figure about 4 weeks or so, with zero PPD... But hey, I will be up for the challenge! I just hope these 4p at least keep 200K+PPD after the Bigadv change.

I am gonna max out with the 4x16core (6272), on the Tyan S8812WGM3NR (as that is the only board avalible I have found sofar, Newegg) and 16 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws, Model: F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM. for cooling I am going to get 4 waterblocks and just use my current radiators/pump/res

Thoughts? Motivational words?

The project needs a name ... like ... the Protein Pwnage PC...

Sounds like a great build, Steve. I believe the 6272 is a great choice for the cpu's.

If you need to match threads or screws, check whether they're metric, instead of SAE (English) sizes.

Be patient with the necessary modding on the case. The one hand tool that I've found very useful in my modding for the 4p, was an automatic punch - you press down hard with one hand, and at the bottom of the press, it pops a center punch mark for you. Since it fits right through the standoff holes on the mobo, it worked like a charm. I just couldn't see having a hammer swing downward toward the 4p mobo even at a center punch - nope!

If you have to tap, remember to turn the tap handle a 1/4 turn, clockwise, then back it off a 1/4 turn, then cut a new 1/4 turn clockwise, and back it off that much. Just a drop of oil on the tap or drill bit, really helps on aluminum, and more oil is called for when you're working with steel.

You'll be back folding like crazy, before long. For the modding, be patient with it.

Looking forward to your build. :cool:

Please keep us posted. :popcorn:

I am too! I hope it doesnt take too long... It will stink not folding for a few weeks, but hey, I just went a year without doing it... for other reasons though.

Sounds like a great build, Steve. I believe the 6272 is a great choice for the cpu's.

If you need to match threads or screws, check whether they're metric, instead of SAE (English) sizes.

Be patient with the necessary modding on the case. The one hand tool that I've found very useful in my modding for the 4p, was an automatic punch - you press down hard with one hand, and at the bottom of the press, it pops a center punch mark for you. Since it fits right through the standoff holes on the mobo, it worked like a charm. I just couldn't see having a hammer swing downward toward the 4p mobo even at a center punch - nope!

If you have to tap, remember to turn the tap handle a 1/4 turn, clockwise, then back it off a 1/4 turn, then cut a new 1/4 turn clockwise, and back it off that much. Just a drop of oil on the tap or drill bit, really helps on aluminum, and more oil is called for when you're working with steel.

You'll be back folding like crazy, before long. For the modding, be patient with it.

I will keep this in mind, and hit you master modders up for any other mod and tool techniques.

Patient's... Lets see if I have any while balancing this, and 3 kids :p

This feels soo weird... The process has began and my CPU is listed :p I cant believe I will be the new owener of a Server Cruncher, and that is all it will do! Glad i kicked my addiction to gaming!

Trancefer punches work great and if you are hand drilling I suggest using the next size smaller tap drill.

Steve,

I want a build log with pictures :D

You sold the 980x or the new 3960x?

I am selling EVERYTHING! LOL... Sold my i7-920 (full system) to a friend, and now... I am selling my 3960x! crazy stuff! Yes, I will try to post some pics for you guys like our other 4P'ers... This will take me a little while though, as I am parting my rig, THEN I can buy parts (orders from the wife :p ) I need to start no so I will know for a fact I will be ready for the Challeng.

Ok, the time has come, and I am done wussy footing around... after this p6904 in 3 days, the rig is going off line... The wife told me I have to make money before I can spend money... and I have not yet advertized my parts, which will set me back a week or two... then I gotta buy my new parts, and build it into my HAF932 (I am a novice modder with minimal tools too)... so I figure about 4 weeks or so, with zero PPD... But hey, I will be up for the challenge! I just hope these 4p at least keep 200K+PPD after the Bigadv change.

I am gonna max out with the 4x16core (6272), on the Tyan S8812WGM3NR (as that is the only board avalible I have found sofar, Newegg) and 16 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws, Model: F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM. for cooling I am going to get 4 waterblocks and just use my current radiators/pump/res

Thoughts? Motivational words?

Go with 6174's. You can get them for $470 or lower on ebay. A 6174 4p will run 100w less than the 6272's.

Go with 6174's. You can get them for $470 or lower on ebay. A 6174 4p will run 100w less than the 6272's.

Will that be the same performance? I dont pay for electricity so $ per Watt is not TOO big an issue... but if it is negligible then I could save some dough and go for the 6174's

Some benchmarks and reports from folders, show the 6174's have better performance than the newer design in the same speed Interlagos cpu's, even though the 6174's have 12 cores, vs the 16 cores on the similar Interlagos cpu.

I didn't go that route because I'm a bit paranoid of spending that much on ebay, on used cpu's, which give you either a limited or no return period.

Well is still got some time before I release the trigger to chamber another round (sell button now, buy button soon)... ChasR posted something in the Quad 16 thread about the -smp flag and FPU's

I saw a tip on FF regarding maximizing performance on the IL chips. The poster claimed his team mates reported better performance on IL running -smp XX, where XX equals the number of FP units (bulldozer modules) in the machine. On a 4P x 16 core, that would be -smp 32. No numbers were posted.

If that makes the 16's perform faster than the 12's on those reports, then i will get the 16's for sure.

Man, I hate reasearch, Now I am getting second thoughts on even building one... Reading at [H] shows neglegible increase from 12cores to 16... As was quoted in the "16 core IL" thread too. I found some 6174's on the Flea for cheap, but wont make a move until A) my money starts coming in from the stuff I almost sold (need to seal the deal) and B) I would really like to see the results of the IL 16 Core with the -SMP 32 flag (way better or slightly better...) any 4p owners wanna test that out? (power is no issue for this guy)

Well I would like to thank Bobnova for helping me kick my 3960X habbit... He is the proud owner of my board and ram... If I was not scared of the Mods, I would have posted in the "Folding Deals Heads up" but I dunno if that is legal... all i seen was you guys posting cupons and deals at other sites... Oh well, I have a few more things I can hock on the Classy's and give you a heads up

Check my new Sig out :p

My egg cart is up to 3600 now... could be 3400, but I came across a thread on the google with a guy that has a 4p set up in this case here... looked as if that needed way less modification than what my HAF932 seems that it will need

IIRC, the first couple pages of that thread was people giving a heads up to the team of their classified listings, often with discounts for team members assuming the hardware would still be folding... At least that's what I remember reading a while back.

If it helps take the sting out of your newegg cart's current size, I'm probably making a WTB thread in the classies soon for a GTX-560ti, Socket 775 quad core, and PSU for said quad. Possibly generate some more revenue in advance of the 4p purchases.

That is a popular 4p case. With large air coolers, the side panel fan may have to be removed/moved, according to reports.

Back