• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12000 rpm cpu fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrpuppy

Registered
might you be able to direct me to a 120mm to a 140mm cpu fan that spins continously at 12000 rpm,and that connects directly to the 12 volt rail that runs off of my 850 watt power supply,bypassing the 3 pin connector on my pbz875 chipset intel motherboard???, wouldn't the 3 pin connector only act as the sensor that regulates the fan speed in this case???,thus severely limiting how fast the fan will turn?,since the bios system has a stupidly low fan speed regulator program built into it,and,as I understand the intel website,is not backwards compatible,I flashed it to the lastest bios,which turned out to be a big mistake,for the aforestated reason, also,the cpu fan would have to be socket 478 compatible,since this is a socket 478 system!!!,thank you very much,for your time,your courtesy,and your consideration in this matter

You wouldn't like a 12,000rpm fan much, they sound like a vacuum cleaner.

You can indeed cool your CPU with a fan that plugs into your power supply, thus running at full speed all the time.

You can even plug your current CPU fan into your power supply via an adapter and force it to run at full speed all the time.

noiseNOT IMPORTANT

thank you bobnova for your kind reply,but,CPU FAN NOISE IS NOT AT ALL IMPORTANT TO ME,ONLY THE COOLING PERFORMANCE IS,so,might you be able to direct me to a socket 478 fan of this type???,thank you for your kind courtesy and consideration in this matter,also thanks for clearing up the matter of bypassing the 3 pin connector,because I wondered about that one:D

I would start off with this: http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-KATANA...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326002295&sr=1-44

It will absolutely stomp the performance of the stock cooler.
Actually, have you cleaned the dust out of your stock cooler lately? Doing that might perk it right up!

If you really, honestly, don't care if your computer sounds literally like a vacuum cleaner in noise and volume, you can put one of these on the heatsink I linked above: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/PFB0912DHE-F00/603-1453-ND/2560577
You'll need to attach a standard molex connector to it yourself though, as it does not come with one.

This is a 5300rpm fan, as opposed to the one I linked at 8300.

Note that without a fan controller it will run full speed all the time.

Last edited:
OK, a 12,000 rpm fan is a vacuum cleaner noise wise. no good.
What fan mounts on the heatsink you have now? If it is a 70-80 mm fan you should be able to glue (with the the proper glue) a plastic adapter to mount a slow but strong fan.
Fans have two performance numbers, cfm/m3h (cubic feet per minute/cubic meters per hour in open air) and Static Pressure in mm-H20.

Generally the Scythe Gentle Typhoon is considered both quiet and "powerful" in Static Pressure. There are also high speed (usually 3,000 rpm is considered high, 6,000 is about the most I've seen and these get EXpen$ive) The Scythe Ultra Kaze series (if I have that right) are high rpm and available in 38mm thickness which makes them more powerful but louder. 3,000 rpm, 133 cfm 46 db $16 ~ no Static Pressure listed.
Delta PFB1212UHE-FOO 12X38MM 5500 rpm 252 cfm 66 db ~$45 no Static Pressure listed.

The old Big Typhoon can be found for socket 478, but it is not very good by current standards.

Current heat sinks : by Scythe LGA 478 SCSK-1100 Suriken $35, SCSMZ-2000 $35,
SCRT-1000 $48, Katana listed above.
ZALMAN CNPS 7000B-Cu
Some older Thermalright are still around, probably some Thermaltake.

sorry I took so long,I had to feed my 150 pound newfoundland his roasted chicken leg quarters,my current cpu fan is 2"3/4 inches both ways,with the setup you just described will I have to take my entire motherboard out just to install it???,also why would you need a fancy heatsink if you had a fan that would blow continuosly at 12000 rpm???,that you could install in about 5 minutes,as opposed to having to remove your entire motherboard maybe?,I will try to post this link if I can,and see what you think about ithttp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5550539&CatId=2216 also can I get a 4 pin male connector adapter since my 12v rail cable is a female lead?,thank you

Last edited:
3 pin motherboart fan connections

sorry,also my motherboard fan connectors are all 3 pin that stick out of the motherboard,is there any way around this???:clap:

If you really, honestly, don't care if your computer sounds literally like a vacuum cleaner in noise and volume, you can put one of these on the heatsink I linked above: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/PFB0912DHE-F00/603-1453-ND/2560577
You'll need to attach a standard molex connector to it yourself though, as it does not come with one.

yeah the delta "PFB" series is one of my favorite performance fan too:thup:

but I'd go with the PFC instead of PFB, since the PFC is the PWM type, and would offer me a better way to control the noise factor of this bad @ss:D

with the setup you just described will I have to take my entire motherboard out just to install it???

Nope, the mounting uses push pins, so no need to remove the motherboard.

also why would you need a fancy heatsink if you had a fan that would blow continuosly at 12000 rpm???,that you could install in about 5 minutes,as opposed to having to remove your entire motherboard maybe?

A fancy heatsink with a lower RPM fan will most likely perform better and be quieter than a stock heatsink with a 12000 RPM fan blowing on it. So, you'll get both better performance and lower noise.

That's a massive 140mm (5.5") fan that wouldn't work well with your current heatsink. With your current heatsink, you want a fan that's about the same size as your current one so that all the airflow is directed onto the heatsink.

also can I get a 4 pin male connector adapter since my 12v rail cable is a female lead?,thank you

Yeah, there are plenty of adapters, so once you find the fan you want and find out what type of connector it used, then you'll know what type of adapter to get.

adaptors

my problem also is,can a get a MALE adaptor that plugs directly into the cable coming off my power supply i.e,the 12 volt rail,which is a FEMALE LEAD???:shrug::shrug::shrug:

The metal portion of the heatsink is the heat exchanger, usually a finned aluminum block, possibly with a copper "touch plate".
Heat tries to equalize the temperature, which is where larger is better, ie more mass to heat and more surface area to transfer heat to air.
Increasing air flow is good until it doesn't allow time for heat transfer.
Heat pipe coolers use an evaporation/condensation cycle to transfer heat from the base to the fins in the air flow. Fin size/spacing/number and fan performance determine the cooling capability.

And yes you can get adapters.

so,it looks like I will have to go with an 8000 or 9000 rpm fan since the size of my current heatsink will only accomodate a maximum size fan of 2 3/4 inches by 2 3/4 inches,am I right so far??? you guys,also,the case is DAMN!!!crowded what with all the flex cabling and the clearence to the video card on the bottom and the power supply on the top

it is my main computer that I built myself,for myself,you should see the adaptation I had to make to the case so my 850watt cybersport power supply would blow UPWARD,OFF OT THE CPU FAN,LIKE THE MILLENNIUM FALCON,SHE MAY NOT LOOK LIKE MUCH,BUT SHE'S GOT IT WHERE IT COUNTS,DOES NEED A GOOD COOLING RIG THOUGH,HAS TO HAVE,AND YES i TOOK THE COOLING UNIT APART AND CLEANED IT STARTED TO RUN CONSTANTLY HOT AND EVEN TURNED OFF ON OCCASION,SORRY ABOUT THE CAPSLOCK DIDN'T SEE IT

Back