• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

160gb raptor $162 or less!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is not 10gigs more. WD has always taken into account the "formatted capacity" when labeling a drive. Dell on the other hand does not. It's a Raptor 150 alright. However, I'm hesistant since I'm not sure if WD would uphold the warrenty. Dell will not warrenty the product if you don't have it in a Dell Computer.

got this off another forum and thought it would be appreciated here:

To clarify for those who weren't around when Dell was selling the 80GB Raptors. Basically, the 74GB Raptor actually uses 80GB platters, but they're "short stroked" so that the inner (slowest) part of the platter isn't used, thereby increasing the average transfer rate of the drive. The Dell versions are the same physical drives, just without the short stroking in place. The performance should be same for the first 150GB and lower on the 150-160GB part of the drive.

I know somebody (DougLite?) posted HdTach plots of the 74GB and 80GB Raptors and it was very obvious that it was the same drive with just an extra zone at the end where it's normally not used.

jediman said:
the only warrenty is a 1 yr warrenty through dell

and technically it has to be used in a Dell computer (one listed) but my parents and my sister has a Dell that is under warranty so I could just maintain that it was in their computer... hmm... and my parent's Dell I actually bought so I know I could get away w/ it... very tempting.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple 74gb raptors from newegg w/ the 60 off rebates... but a couple of these would only be a few dollars more.

yeah that is one good thing about getting a genuine raptor, the FIVE year warranty. But for half the price? maybe it's worth it....and These drives are built well so it's kinda worth a gamble.

Wow I have to consider this!

I just need to decide whether not having a warranty is worth halving the price.

It's $180- now though. :(

Wait and see how the new Seagate model performs. It's supposed to be almost on par with the raptor but $124 for 320gb. I'm sure someone will test one any day now.

sike said:
Wow I have to consider this!

I just need to decide whether not having a warranty is worth halving the price.

It's $180- now though. :(
id say so
iv never had a raptor fail on me

i think im going to sell my 74G and upgrade to this for $50

dang... I was seriously considering getting one or two... oh well... I don't really have the $ anyway so it's prob a good thing

Brando said:
Wait and see how the new Seagate model performs. It's supposed to be almost on par with the raptor but $124 for 320gb. I'm sure someone will test one any day now.
Got any more info on this?

OnDborder said:
Got any more info on this?

2 of the new Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0 are roughly equal to a single Raptor 150gb. I've seen tests where each one wins about half the tests, but the Seagates are generally faster for large data compression, moving large files and the Raptor is typically faster for load times... so if you work with large files the Seagates would be better, but for gaming the Raptor is faster

Back