• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ tbred b not OC'ing well...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FLyingHamster

Im back with some more NEWBIE overclocking questions, and this time I have some new computer parts (1700+ tbred b JIUHB 0307VPMW, and 512mb pc3200).

My main point is that I want to overclock this cpu, as that is what most people get this cpu for. Anyway, I need to know what to do so that I can possibly overclock past 2ghz. What specific steps should I take?

I wish overclocking was as easy as going into the BIOS, changing the FSB to 200, lowering the multiplier, and BAM!!! your cpu is at 2.2ghz. But as we all know, if I were to do that, corruption would happen annd LOTS OF THINGS would go wrong. I know there are several settings in my 8k3a+ BIOS that I need to change, to allow my cpu to be capable of gaining such speeds. What and where are these things?

Should I be worried about the "AGP/PCI 1/5 divider" or whatever it's called, when bumping up my FSB to 200? What is this and is it a big obstacle? And what is this hard drive corruption I hear people talking about? Like if I get my FSB to high, my kt333 chipset may not be able to handle it and will need to lower my HDD "ATA" speed?

I have 512mb of TwinMOS pc3200 ram, but why is it that at the POST screen it says my ram is pc2700?? My maxtor is set at ATA/133 right now, so let me know if I will need to change something. All you 8k3a+ owners out there, What was the highest FSB you guys were able to hit?

Most importantly I need to know what your ram settings are in "DRAM Clock/Drive Control" part of the BIOS. I don't know what to set things at in there. what should "DRAM Clock" and "DRAM Timing" be set to? As well as everything else in there. What are all your settings set to??

I just tried to overclock, and I was really disappointed with the result. I changed the "System Performance" to Turbo, then went to "Frequency/Voltage Control" and upped my FSB to 150, without increasing my vcore at all. I saved and restarted, but my computer didn't even boot. WTF?!?! What steps did you take to overclock?

And lastly, my SK7 with SF II is running at the same temps as my Volcano 7+. Idle temp is 50 degrees Celcius / 120 F, not overclocked at all. (I think that my mobo is reading from the inside of cpu core. Is that the temps are so high?) Are those normal temps?

That's about all I have to ask. Again, I just want some of u guys that have OC'ed a lot to let me in on your secrets. Thanks and hope to hear soon..

UPDATE: I was able to overclockwith the help of scorpio (a friend of mine these forums). Running at 2.1ghz, 10.5x200, 1.625 vcore, 66 degrees Celcius. 11x200 was unstable in 3dmark. ram timings at "Normal." what do u think? what should I do to improve?

Let's look at your cooling first. Did you apply a very thin (even) layer of AS3? What is your case temp vs the CPU temp? What speed is your SF II running at? Depending on your answers, I would recommend lapping your heatsink to a smooth shiny surface, applying a very thin layer of AS3, and setting your SF II at the max rpm. You may also need to improve the air flow through your case to lower the temp inside the case. All of this should help lower your CPU temp.

As for the hard drive, changing the ATA speed will not help any at all. What happens is that when you are using the 1/5 PCI divider at high FSB speeds, the PCI bus speed gets too high and this causes hard drive corruption. Most people seem to recommend keeping your PCI bus speed below about 38 MHz. If your hard drive get corrupted, typically you will have to reformat the drive.

A general rule about RAM timings, the lower the number the faster your memory bandwidth is going to be. Running faster memory timings will usually help improve your overall computer speed.

yes, I did apply a very thin layer of AS 2

overclocked temps:
idle= 66 C
load= 70 C

system temp: around 35 C

my SF II is running at 5,800 rpm, its fastest speed.I have 2 fans in the front, 3 in the back, and 1 on the side. all blowing the direction their supposed to.

let me know what u think. thanks for the reply.

You have an EPoX 8k3a. I have the same motherboard.

There is an issue with the t-breds and this mobo.. for some reason, it reads the CPU temps about 15-20 degrees higher than it would on other motherboards. So based on that info, you temps are still fine.

Hope this helps,

Guy

I'm not sure how experienced you are but a V7+ should be cooling much better than that so I am guessing you may have installed the volcano backwards you may want to try and reseating it w/ a new application of AS2.

I was not aware that your motherboard reads the CPU temp too high. Maybe there is still room to improve your overclock.

Since you could not run 11*200, try running 11*190 (2090 MHz). Then slowly raise the FSB speed and see where your CPU becomes unstable. You may have to increase the CPU voltage 1 more notch to reach 11*200.

As for the memory, you could try setting all of the timing values to the lowest numerical setting. This would give you the fastest memory timings. Something like 2.0-2-2-5 1T. If this causes a problem, change the 1T to 2T. This setting is the hardest for most memory sticks to handle.

(edit) He is not running the V7+ any more. He is running the SK7 and SF II. This is an excellent heatsink and fan (same setup that I have). His CPU temp is about 15C higher than his system temp. This is more than I would have expected, as I would have expected about 12C difference (see my setup in my sig). If he could lower his system temp down to 26-28C that would help a lot, but I am not sure why his system temp is so high.

Actually, i just checked my MBM5 temps, and there is a 23-24C difference between the Die reading and the Diode reading on my 8k3a.

So his temps are around an estimated 47C on Load.

Guy

Thanks Guy, that puts his CPU vs system temp difference at about 12C. Exactly what I would have expected.

FH, can you lower your system temp any more? 35C is about 95F. I would have expected your system temp to be lower, assuming that your room temp is around 70-75F.

Well I tried running my ram at its tighest timings, but it wouldnt boot after I did that. What are u guys that have an 8k3a+ running your ram timings at? Turbo? Fastest??

Only way to lower the system temp is to open the case and blow a fan in there, but that would get too loud and annoying lol.

anyway, thanks a lot for your help guys. Guy, I had no idea the temps were 23-24 degrees off! thanks for that info.

I still don't know why my temps are as high as they were with the 7+. this cooling setup is supposed to be better than the 7+. Hmmm..

Oh, and what specifically do u mean by "lapping"?

Lapping is taking your heatsink and using very fine sandpaper to smooth it out. This will allow better contact between the heatsink and processor.

A nice article can be found here.

well looks like the overclocking is going well now.

I was able to hit 210 FSB! here's what it is: 210x10.5, 1.675vcore, 2.7vdimm.

temp at full load= 56 C. what do u think?

FLyingHamster said:
Well I tried running my ram at its tighest timings, but it wouldnt boot after I did that. What are u guys that have an 8k3a+ running your ram timings at? Turbo? Fastest??

Only way to lower the system temp is to open the case and blow a fan in there, but that would get too loud and annoying lol.

anyway, thanks a lot for your help guys. Guy, I had no idea the temps were 23-24 degrees off! thanks for that info.

I still don't know why my temps are as high as they were with the 7+. this cooling setup is supposed to be better than the 7+. Hmmm..

Oh, and what specifically do u mean by "lapping"?
I had a 7+ when i got it it had a 3 lug clip and it holds the h/s off the chip so you might look for that i found it out in the bios i pressed on the heat sink a little and the temps went way down but i think they come with 1 hole clips now

I was able to hit 210 FSB! here's what it is: 210x10.5, 1.675vcore, 2.7vdimm.

temp at full load= 56 C.

here's a pic:
overclock.jpg

Any other suggestions that would help me get past this speed??

I got some quick questions. Is 2.9v a perfectly good VDIMM setting fot my TwinMOS ram? or is 2.8 the max it should go?

Also, why is it that in my BIOS, I dont have the choice of picking 12.5 multiplier? it goes "...11, 11.5, 12, 13, 14..." (talking to those of u with a 8k3a+ lol)

Is something wrong? Does it have to do with the 2b01 BIOS I have?

Also, as u can see in my sig, my system is running at 58-59 degrees Celcius at full load. Is that normal for an SK7 w/ SF II and the voltages Im using? Or should I re-apply the AS 2 and heatsink??

one more thing, just curious, but is it ok to "re-flash" your BIOS with the same one? like since I have the 2b01 right now, could I use my floppy disk and flash it again to the 2b01? Or does that mess things up? again, Im just wondering..

I mean.. 2b01 is the best one to use right?

Well I re-applied the AS 2, but the temp at full load with everything DEFAULT is 38 C. How is that?

With the 1700+ overclocked to 2.2ghz (check my sig), my cpu temp at full load is 59 C (that is the correct temp), and system temp at full load is 33 C.

How much more room do I have to go to overclock? Do u thinik I seated the hs/f wrong again?!

your temps are great in my opinion. I have a T-Bred B and my idle temp is 56 and full load is 62

No matter what HSF I use or opening the case, it is always within a couple degrees of this. It is a matter of EPOX reading the on-die temp rather than the sensor undr the chip.

you can get a 12.5 multiplier by selecting 13. if you choose 14 or higher, it will default back to 5.5 and 6 as multipliers...I think.

I am very very impressed with your CPU speed. I cannot get my T-Bred 1700 B past 1950 and be stable.

no, the 0307VPMW is supposed to be one of the best.

Anyway, I have another question. Looking at my system specs, is it ok to overclock my Geforce Ti4200 at this speed? FSB is at 200, but Ive seen ppl OC their vid card at 220 FSB. What do u think? If it's ok, how much do u recommend me doing so? I don't want to just bump it way up high then all of a sudden I get AGP tearing and my card is gone.

Without my cpu overclocked, I got this Ti4200 at 300/610 stable.

Let me know what u think. Thanks in advance..

Back