• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st OC: X6 1075T BE on Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kelsinni

Registered
Hi to all...
i recently have done a upgrade to my system and wanna starting to give some steps in Ocing...

I would like to know from the more experienced members of this forum and even with someone with the same hardware about:
Im looking for a moderate OC and then when i get more experience maybe i can climb some more steps and see where can i go with this.

My system now is:
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
Phenom II X6 1075T cooled by Thermalright Ultra 120 Extrme + NOISEBLOCKER BLACK SILENT PRO PL-PS PWM 120MM
4Gb(2x2Gb) DDR3 2000 Team Group Xtreem LV CL:9-11-9-27 (TXD32048M2000HC9K-L)
SSD Crucial M4 128Gb (CT128M4SSD2)
ALL Powered by LC-Power Silent Giant Green Power 650w (LC6650GP3 V.23)

Thks in advance for all the help and info about this

Cheers

Last edited:
kelsinni, Welcome to the Forums. For starters download Cpuid, cpu-z,hwmonitor and prime95. Open up hwmonitor and run prime for 20 minutes, post pics of the Hwmonitor and following tabs in cpu-z, cpu,spd and memory.

Hi again...
first lets show up the machine and how it looked with the cooler:

I just regret that the only way to install it was with the FAN pointing down :(

As intake i have 2x Noiseblocker XL1 120mm as showed on the 2nd pic.
As extract i have the PSU 140mm fan and the rear 120mm Thermaltake fan that has came with the tower. The 2x80 orange fans i have them off because i never need them.

The Noiseblocker 120mm fan on the cooler is blowing the air from the bottom to up.

I think i have a good air flow...on IDLE OCCT temps gave me 27ºC

I have found this video on youtube that has an exact mobo like mine and a phenom ii x6 1055T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=5a7AxZJ7tWc#!

Do you advice that i take the steps as showed on the video? On the 1st time should i put an value that high of 286 on the CPU Bus frequency?
What other features in the mobo you advice to get on or off? (like AMD cool'n quiet and others)

Thks in advance

Hi again...
before i start CPU OCing should i look for clock speed walls first and start with the memory trying to get them as close to its rated speed?

Now i have installed a 4Gb(2x2Gb) DDR3 2000 Team Group Xtreem LV CL:9-11-9-27 (TXD32048M2000HC9K-L) but i havent tryied to put them @ 2000Mhz yet.
All the tests that i have donr with it showed me that they cannot run @ 1600Mhz with timmings lower than CL9...:(

I know that AMD plataforms sometimes prefer lower timmings than a higher frequency and my doubt right now is what RAM's should i install because i have another Kit of 4Gb OCZ that im not using right now that can run primestable @ 1600Mhz CL7-7-7-24:

So...what you guys advice? Try to work this TEamgroup and put them @ 2000Mhz CL9 or replace it for the OCZ with low timmings?

Thks fot the help

I doubt you get that board and cpu to run at DDR2000.

Specifications
Model Number & Core Frequency: X6 1075T
Types of Memory Supported: Unregistered DIMMs up to PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066MHz) -AND- PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333MHz)

Very cool but your airflow is all off kilter. Does your CPU cooler not clear the heatsink? The fan should likely be facing the memory slots, so the heated air is immediately exhausted.

I doubt you get that board and cpu to run at DDR2000.

Specifications
Model Number & Core Frequency: X6 1075T
Types of Memory Supported: Unregistered DIMMs up to PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066MHz) -AND- PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333MHz)

Hi...you are saying that because mobo limitation or cpu limitation?
The Aida64 software showed me this on the SPD menu:

So...in your opinion its better forget this Teamgroup kit and replace it for the OCZ right?
I had already the OCZ kit running stable @ 1600 CL7 on this mobo...to try with this TeamGroup kit the 2000Mhz or at least near that value i must change no only the FSB but the NB values too right?

Thks

Very cool but your airflow is all off kilter. Does your CPU cooler not clear the heatsink? The fan should likely be facing the memory slots, so the heated air is immediately exhausted.

Unfortunatly there was no other way to install it :( because of the holes for the screws on the mobo...
Recently i have placed the graphics card and ajust the 2 intake fans. Now the system is like this:

With the cooler pointing to the top of the case like that you would do well to install two nice fans in the top to extract the warm air coming off the cooler which is being exhausted toward the top of the case.

Unfortunatly there was no other way to install it :( because of the holes for the screws on the mobo...

That would really eliminate extra heat in the case. Only reason I ask is its pretty much industry standard to have a big cooler like that facing the memory and exhausting directly out of the case. Are you sure you cant turn the baseplate on the bottom of the heatsink or under the motherboard to rotate the heatsink assembly 90*?

It can be done, as seen here with the same cooler:
dsc00005aa8.jpg

That would really eliminate extra heat in the case. Only reason I ask is its pretty much industry standard to have a big cooler like that facing the memory and exhausting directly out of the case. Are you sure you cant turn the baseplate on the bottom of the heatsink or under the motherboard to rotate the heatsink assembly 90*?

Hi...regarding the backplate of the motherboard if i rotate it 90º then the holes dont align with the ones of the mobo so for sure its not there the issue.
The only option was the baseplate of the cooler where the screws enter and attach on the mobo but even it has only a way to fit on the cooler itself and it is impossible rotating it 90º.
I dont know if thermalright has another baseplate that fits this cooler and that can be rotated 90º...this one was the default original of the cooler.
I will try to get some pics to show it better...

Thks

Last edited:
Solved...
After email thermalright about this issue they told me this:
"The new AMD bolt-thru board mounting kit will make the heat-sink rotate 90 degree. That’s what it is designed for."

This is my stock Bolt-Thru Kit that dont alow the "normal" instalation of the cooler with the fan pointed to the front of the case:

With this Bolt-Thru Kit rev.c the cooler can be turned 90º

Now my real problem is wich memory should i use to acheive better performance...OCZ or TeamGroup...

Thks

Just look at the timings for the ram question. Smaller timings mean better performance at the same frequency. But neither of those two ram brands is mainstream. OCZ is even out of the ram manufacturing business now. I would go with GSkill or Cosair or Mushkin, personally.

Just look at the timings for the ram question. Smaller timings mean better performance at the same frequency. But neither of those two ram brands is mainstream. OCZ is even out of the ram manufacturing business now. I would go with GSkill or Cosair or Mushkin, personally.
There's plenty of mainstream ram that doesn't foot the bill, examples are all over the web. In the case of OCZ, and why they stopped making memory, perhaps we will never really know the exact answer, but its likely because of financial reasons (their ram was priced much higher than leading competition), highly doubt it's because of a quality control issue. They now make some of the best SSD drives on the market. In fact, this particular 1600 Mhz RAM gets 4/5 stars on newegg and users are generally very happy with the product, considering it's specifically designed for AMD systems and has a lifetime warranty.

The most probably is that i cannot go much further than 1600Mhz with with these TeamGroup kit and almost for sure the OCZ running @ 1600Mhz CL7 give me better performance.

Now im running the Teamgroup @ 1600Mhz CL9 and i will try go to 1700Mhz keeping CL9 and see if it keeps stable.

you ought to be able to reach 4-4.2 ghz. With that memory though, probably a bit less. Honestly ram does nothing for performance and you are just hindering overclocking by going for a high frequency kit. Thuban prefers lower frequencies, since after all, the memory controller is on the cpu nowadays. It has to work harder to control the ram.

I got my 1055t on 880ga-ud3h to 4ghz stable. Never tried to push it more. But, to be able to go from 3.9-4ghz i had to fiddle with pretty much every single dam motherboard setting and fine tune everything. I don't think my motherboard could handle any more. After all it has a crappy 4 (or 4+2) phase power design. I currently keep it at 3.5ghz stock volts 24/7. Been doing so for two years. Honestly that is the sweetspot for this chip for performance and preservation.

you ought to be able to reach 4-4.2 ghz. With that memory though, probably a bit less. Honestly ram does nothing for performance

Memory timings and throughput are not an isolated system and completely tied into system performance as whole. This is overclocking 101. A common myth has been going around for years that memory has no effect on system performance. This is just not true. You are just missing out big time.

Back