• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st OC: X6 1075T BE on Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like you need to work manually with your CPU Offset and CPU/NB Offset voltages. Right now they are on Auto. When you take them off of Auto, what choices do you see?

Also, take your CPU Load Line Calibration off of Auto. What choices do you see?

Im gonna reboot and take pics of them...
here it is:

Last edited:
at first glance you need to drop your FSB down to 200 and set your CPU multi to 17.5 to start with a baseline. Also bump your CPU voltage up to 1.475 or so. That should be able handle 3.8ghz. Any higher like 4.0, and you'll want to go to 1.5 or 1.525.

The reason I am recommending keeping your FSB at 200 is because it will allow more granular control and easy overclocking of all the other components. FSB overclocking is more important for CPUs with a locked multi.
Question: What FSB:DRAM ratios does your mainboard support? I assume it has 1:4, and that's what you'll want. If it has anything higher than that, by all means give it a shot since your memory can handle 2000mhz.

Thanks

Storm-chaser, overclocking with the CPU multiplier is certainly a more simple way of overclocking than using the FSB or a combo of the two. And for that reason OP may want to employ that method. But just about all the veteran overclockers on this forum will attest to the fact that using a combo of the two gives higher overclocks on less voltage. And since OP had already embarked in that direction I was just trying to help him implement the multiplier component. And I would be careful in suggesting CPU core voltages he should apply when we don't know what his temps are like.

kelsinni, try putting your fsb back to 242. You ram is getting overclocked beyond what the CPU IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) may be able to tolerate.

And you need to do some temp testing. High core or CPU socket temps can cause instability.

Storm-chaser, overclocking with the CPU multiplier is certainly a more simple way of overclocking than using the FSB or a combo of the two. And for that reason OP may want to employ that method. But just about all the veteran overclockers on this forum will attest to the fact that using a combo of the two gives higher overclocks on less voltage. And since OP had already embarked in that direction I was just trying to help him implement the multiplier component. And I would be careful in suggesting CPU core voltages he should apply when we don't know what his temps are like.
Yeah, I hear you, seems like he has embarked on the FSB bus method for his overclocking configuration, which in SOME cases will allow for less core voltage to be utilized, but in most cases is minimal. I've been an overclocking veteran for 15 years, and have tried many FBS overclocks as well as just multi overclocks. Id prefer the multi OC route on the Phenom II, given an black edition CPU, and adjust the NB multi and mem multi accordingly. As far as using the FSB combo resulting is superior overclocks, this may be possible on some systems. On others, you get just the opposite, reliability problems and trouble tracking down the exact cause. So there are pros and cons to each method. Its system dependent, more than anything. In my case, I doubt a FSB combo would result in higher clock speeds. Cant go much more than 4.2 on a Thuban and I managed that with a multi OC, running a low 1.445vcore.

He has showed us pictures of his CPU cooler and it appears to be nearly equivalent to a hyper 212. The chip can easily support 1.5v, so I don't see a problem recommending the voltages that I did for his particular overclock. But thanks for your insight, trents, it is appreciated.

You know, you may be right about him just using the multiplier alone as he seems to be floundering around in his overclocking experience at this point. By the way, his Thermalright 120 Utra Extreme cooler is superior to the Hyper 212 evo. The sink is considerably larger than the CM. The "TRUE" is one of the best air coolers ever put out.

Hi again guys...i wanna realy apreciate both for the help that you are giving to me.

I started to use the FSB because i tought that was the only way to try to put the MEM frequency up than 1600Mhz and not because i tought it was the best method...as i said im a very very little experinced overclocker...

Regarding what storm-chaser as told:
"Question: What FSBRAM ratios does your mainboard support? I assume it has 1:4, and that's what you'll want. If it has anything higher than that, by all means give it a shot since your memory can handle 2000mhz."

I must say that i really dont know how can i see that but i can tell that when i had my older CPU, a Phenom ii X3 710 i had already more than 1 ratio (20:6; 24:6; 16:6) so i assume that my Mobo can assume more FSB : MEM ratios.

Im gonna try the 2 ways that you guys told. With the fixed FSB set to 200 and floating it till 242 and test.

i will keep posting here the results

Regarding what storm-chaser as told:
"Question: What FSBRAM ratios does your mainboard support? I assume it has 1:4, and that's what you'll want. If it has anything higher than that, by all means give it a shot since your memory can handle 2000mhz."
The DRAM speed selection (1066, 1333, 1600, etc) should be on this BIOS page:
http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/20/img20130227122218.jpg
In the above photo zero on DRAM Frequency This should give you memory speed options. Be sure to set your FSB back to 200, and your CPU multi back to the stock 15, and reboot. Then try changing the DRAM Frequency on the photo listed above. It should allow you to choose the 1600mhz frequency. Which is a FSB : DRAM ratio of 1:4

THEN, move on to bumping up your CPU NB to 2400mhz, and your CPU-NB voltage to 1.3. Reboot again.

If you have a successful post, adjust your cpu multi to 17.5 and up the CPU vcore to 1.460 - this will mean you'll be running at 3.500ghz. Start bumping up more until you reach your desired CPU overclock, say around 3.6 - 3.8 for now.
reboot.
For now you can leave your memory timings to auto, unless you feel comfortable changing them. At this point, you'll want to up the NB to 2600mhz or 2800 mhz... Adjust your NB voltage to 1.26 and keep your CPU NB around 1.3-1.35 - Hold your breath and reboot again. If it posts, you are going to have one very successful overclock. Once you have all your ducks in a row, ie, desired CPU clock speed (3.8-4.0 if you are lucky) and desired NB speed (2800-3000mhz) and desired memory speed, its just a matter of confirming all looks well. and doing some stability testing. I would recommend aida64 version 2.8, it has a great built in torture test, far more advanced than prime95, which has been around for ages. AIDA will also plot temps as cpu usage goes up, as well as voltages, etc. great tool for use when overclocking. Good luck.

Last edited:
The DRAM speed selection (1066, 1333, 1600, etc) should be on this BIOS page:
http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/20/img20130227122218.jpg
In the above photo zero on DRAM Frequency This should give you memory speed options.

Hi storm-chaser...thks for your complete reply.
The available DRAM speed selection are:
800; 1067; 1333; 1600

I take note all you said and i will test with that settings too.

This method as i undersatand keeps a fixed FSB and all the OCing happens because of the CPU/NB raise right?

In your opinion this is the best method to find the wall of the RAM's (frequency and timmings)?
Im asking you this because the articles that i have already read i think that i will not have big problems getting my cpu arround 3,8Ghz. My real doubt right now is founf the roof of this RAM's so i can decide if i keep them or replaced by the other OCZ kit that i have (1600Mhz CL7-7-7-24)

Thks again

No, not because of "the CPU/NB raise". Raising the CPU multiplier, not the CPU/NB multiplier. The CPU mulitplier is called "CPU Ratio" in your biols. First, make sure you have reset everything back to stock frequencies and voltages. Then start increasing the CPU Ratio by.5x increments. After each .5x increment of increase, test for stability and temps with a 20 minute Prime95 blend test while HWMonitor is open in the background. If you pass the test (no blue screen, no lockup, no spontaneous restart, none of the Prime95 core workers drops out) go back into bios and increase the multiplier by .5x and retest. Repeat this until you fail the test and then add .025 volts to the CPU. Resume the testing. Watch core and CPU socket temps in HWMonitor. Don't let the core (or "package") temps exceed 60c. Don't let the CPU (socket) temp exceed 70c. See how far you can get and when you get stuck, post back with pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD and an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface with CPU under full load for at least 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Before you overclock anything, it would be a good idea to check temp baselines. With everything at stock, please run a 20 minute Prime95 blend run with HWMonitor open in the background. At the end of the test, post back with a pic of HWMonitor attached. Let's see how much temp room you have for overclocking.

Ok... Tomorrow i will do all that you guys said on your last posts and test. then i will reply.

Just confirm me this:

1) Raising the CPU multiplier (CPU ratio) will just increase the CPU frequency right?
The CPU frequency is calculated multipliyng the CPU ratio for the FSB (CPU BUS Frequency)
CPU Frequency=[CPU BUS Frequency]*[CPU Ratio]

2) So if i wanna try the RAM's at a frequency above 1600Mhz i must raise the CPU BUS Frequency right?

Cheers ;)

Ok... Tomorrow i will do all that you guys said on your last posts and test. then i will reply.

Just confirm me this:

1) Raising the CPU multiplier (CPU ratio) will just increase the CPU frequency right? Yes
The CPU frequency is calculated multipliyng the CPU ratio for the FSB (CPU BUS Frequency) Yes
CPU Frequency=[CPU BUS Frequency]*[CPU Ratio] Yes

2) So if i wanna try the RAM's at a frequency above 1600Mhz i must raise the CPU BUS Frequency right? Yes

But I would not try overclocking the ram until you establish what is the max overclock of the CPU with the ram at 1333 mhz. 1333 mhz is what the CPU integrated memory controller is rated for and some Deneb core CPUs will not even do 1600 in stable fashion.

The other important thing to realize is that if you increase the CPU frequency (whether with the multiplier only, the FSB only or a combination of the two, you will need to add CPU voltage at certain points to keep it stable. And you must also monitor temps along the way.

Cheers ;)

Hi again...
i have put all values to default (AUTO) on my bios then i have disable the features:
CPU Spread Spectrum
PCIE Spread Spectrum
Cool’n Quiet
C1E

With AUTO set on everything i have a MEM freq. of 1333Mhz and CPU freq. of 3000Mhz as you can see:

Then i run PRIME 95 64bit almost 20mins with HWINFO32 (sensor status) on background to recording max. temps.
With aproximatly 20mins of testing i get 45ºC max temp registed (on IDLE i got arround 28/29ºc ont the CPU).
P.S. I have my 2x120mm case FAN's controled wth a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller and both had on minimum rotation

In your opinion the max. CPU temp was acceptable?

Just to inform you too that my CPU cooler TRUE as you could saw in the pics that i had posted, has the FAN pointing down blowing the air form bottom to up and i have already buy a new Thru-bolt kit that permit put it on the normal position (with the fan pointed to the RAM's) and that could eventualy reduce me 1ºC or 2ºC.

Other important thing is that my CPU is not a Black Edition as i for mistake posted on the title...so i cannot go more than x15 on the CPU Ratio. It just allow me to decrese the value

I will try the settings as you guys told me on your last replys

Thks

Last edited:
Ok here we go...1st test:
Bios settings:

AIDA 64 CPUID:

The Test:
AIDA 64 Extreme Edition system stability test (stress system memory) for 15mins

Temperatures:
Both AIDA 64 and HWinfo resultus showed a maximun 46ºC on the CPU (With 32ºC max on each of the 6 cores). That temperature droped to 43ºC when i put the 2x Intake FAN's at full speed.

For the next step im thinking raising the FSB to 245. Should i do that or keep it on 240 and raise CPU/NB freq. to 2500?

Thks

Well, if your CPU is not a black edition, that does change the approach. Are you sure? Please attach pics of these three tabs from CPU-z: CPU, Memory and SPD. I want to see where your HT Link frequency, and your ram frequency and timings are at this point, as well as CPU voltage. Those three tabs will give us that info.

Please also attach in another post a pic of the HWMonitor interface immediately following a 20 minute Prime95 stress test with your current values.

Hi trents...Im positive that its a non BE edition.
Here goes the pics of cpuz:

Im gonna run Prime95 for 20mins now and post pics of the result and HWmonitor temps...

kelsinni, the main suggestions I have for you at this point would be to lower you HT Link speed. At 2427 mhz now, it will soon cause instability if you go any higher with it. A high HT Link frequency has no positive impact on performance anyway. As long as you keep it between 1800 and about 2100 mhz you will not suffer any performance hit and it should be stable.

The other suggestion I have is to set your CPU/NB voltage to about 1.225 as it is now overclocked to 2408 and probably needing some voltage support to remain stable.

kelsinni, the main suggestions I have for you at this point would be to lower you HT Link speed. At 2427 mhz now, it will soon cause instability if you go any higher with it. A high HT Link frequency has no positive impact on performance anyway. As long as you keep it between 1800 and about 2100 mhz you will not suffer any performance hit and it should be stable.

The other suggestion I have is to set your CPU/NB voltage to about 1.225 as it is now overclocked to 2408 and probably needing some voltage support to remain stable.

In fact i have not set HT link speed to a fixed value. It is on AUTO in the bios but with these configs i can put it fixed at 1920 should i do that?
Should i increase the voltages even im not getting instability?

Here are the pics:

Back