• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st OC: X6 1075T BE on Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, thats why when testing standard 1600 cas 9 memory, 1333 with low timings and 2600, with lowest timings possible the fps difference in games is <0.5%. Likewise with productivity benchmarks.

Yeah, thats why when testing standard 1600 cas 9 memory, 1333 with low timings and 2600, with lowest timings possible the fps difference in games is <0.5%. Likewise with productivity benchmarks.
That may very well be true but you should be looking at real world performance and without a doubt, I can see a measurable performance increase in daily use. On all my systems. On a thuban this would be ddr3 1600 cl7 with an nb running at 3000mhz. It really boils down to having a well rounded and proportioned over clock. This applies to any platform, Intel or amd. But if you are happy with your system, and it sounds fast, then that's really all that matters.

Testing how things render, and seeing what fps you get in game is the realest real world performance you can get. What you are seeing is something called a placebo effect. Speed is measured, not something you "feel".

Also, on this guys system 3ghz nb is impossible, I believe. I run at 1750mhz nb/ht, since my motherboard refuses to go higher than 2000 on stock volts.

Hi again...now im running it at 1710Mhz CL8 stable with all stock voltages.

Before i replace them for the OCZ kit i will try to push these kit as up as i can. Wich values can i increase a bit on the bios so i can try to up this a little bit?
Vdimm are 1,65v (these memory default) how many decimals can i increase it? 1,7v is too much?
Changing the HT link speed or CPU/NB frequency on the bios could help me with that?
Here is a video link that shows well all options of my bios (on the 40 seconds of the video).

Thks for all the help again

Cheers

Last edited:
Testing how things render, and seeing what fps you get in game is the realest real world performance you can get. What you are seeing is something called a placebo effect. Speed is measured, not something you "feel".

Also, on this guys system 3ghz nb is impossible, I believe. I run at 1750mhz nb/ht, since my motherboard refuses to go higher than 2000 on stock volts.
I've seen plenty of folks hit 3ghz on that very same NB chipset, so get your facts straight. In fact throwing around misinformation would keep this guy from hitting the mark on his NB. There are plenty of folks getting 2800 and 3000mhz NB on that VERY SAME Mainboard. See here, for just one example: http://www.overclock.net/t/1024586/m4a89gtd-pro-usb3-voltage-questions

Real world performance is just using the computer, surfing the web, perhaps a game or two every now and then. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer so that is certainly not real world. That would be consider gaming performance, just a category of many when it comes to measuring performance. If you think its the realest "real" world performance indicator out there, you've got a lot to learn.

I am not seeing anything related to the placebo effect. At least not on the 7 or 8 systems I've custom built for myself, overclocked and benchmarked + monitored myself. My memory tweaks yield gains both in benchmarking and real world performance. Please consider the following benchmarks. You'd have to be pretty far gone to think the real world gains would be the "placebo effect"

Hexacore @ 4.0ghz - 1600 cl7 ram 7-8-7-24, 320ns with NB at 2200mhz
Memory read: 7.5Gb/s
Memory write: 7.4Gb/s
Memory Copy: 10Gb/s
Memory Latency: 58.2 ns
VS
Hexacore @ 4.0ghz - 1600 cl7 with 1600 cl7 ram 7-8-7-15 90ns with NB at 3000mhz
Memory read: 11.3Gb/s
Memory write: 10Gb/s
Memory copy: 14.5Gb/s
Memory Latency: 39.2ns

I bet you'll still sit there and say that despite a good 3-4Gb increases across the board in r/w/copy speeds and with the latency cut in half, it doesn't amount to anything. You'd be dead wrong.

I've built numerous systems with fine tuned memory that customers had no idea I had tweaked, yet they also notice quicker reaction time and real world performance in day to day use.

But as I said earlier, if you are happy with your slower memory, more power to you. Memory myth successfully crushed.

Last edited:
Hi again...now im running it at 1710Mhz CL8 stable with all stock voltages.

Before i replace them for the OCZ kit i will try to push these kit as up as i can. Wich values can i increase a bit on the bios so i can try to up this a little bit?
Vdimm are 1,65v (these memory default) how many decimals can i increase it? 1,7v is too much?
Changing the HT link speed or CPU/NB frequency on the bios could help me with that?
Here is a video link that shows well all options of my bios (on the 40 seconds of the video).

Thks for all the help again

Cheers
-CPU z has a tab that will show you proper voltage for said memory running at speed. Use this and adjust voltage accordingly in the bios (if required for oc)
-HT link will yield no performance gains. Keep between 2000 and 2200mhz.
-CPU/NB frequency is crucial for a superior overclock. Ideally, you want this up near 2800mhz or 3000mhz. The 890GX can support these speeds, see this page for details: http://www.overclock.net/t/1024586/m4a89gtd-pro-usb3-voltage-questions
-CPU/NB voltage can be safe up to 1.3-1.4v so you have some room to work with.
-Good luck!

-CPU z has a tab that will show you proper voltage for said memory running at speed. Use this and adjust voltage accordingly in the bios (if required for oc)
-HT link will yield no performance gains. Keep between 2000 and 2200mhz.
-CPU/NB frequency is crucial for a superior overclock. Ideally, you want this up near 2800mhz or 3000mhz. The 890GX can support these speeds, see this page for details: http://www.overclock.net/t/1024586/m4a89gtd-pro-usb3-voltage-questions
-CPU/NB voltage can be safe up to 1.3-1.4v so you have some room to work with.
-Good luck!

Hi storm-chaser and thks for your explanation and help given...:thup:
So if i get it right the CPU/NB frequency will afect the system performance and putting it near the values that you said (2800-3000) would give me some gain...

Sorry for the ignorance but that increase could allow more Mhz on the RAM's too?
Im asking you that because on this point im looking for the maximum wall that i can go with these MEMS so i can choose if keep them or replace it for the other OCZ kit that i have.

Im gonna test and then reply ;)

Thks alot again

So if i get it right the CPU/NB frequency will afect the system performance and putting it near the values that you said (2800-3000) would give me some gain...

Sorry for the ignorance but that increase could allow more Mhz on the RAM's too?
Im asking you that because on this point im looking for the maximum wall that i can go with these MEMS so i can choose if keep them or replace it for the other OCZ kit that i have.

Thks alot again

No. Increasing the CPU/NB will not affect the ram frequency or how much you might be able to overclock the ram. It simply improves the speed of communication along the pipeline between the processor cores, the CPU cache and the ram. But you still might be able to over clock the ram a little above it's stock rating by bumping up the FSB. The ram would likely require more voltage to carry the extra frequency and be stable, however. Be aware that increasing the FSB causes all other frequencies to increase: the CPU, the HT Link and the CPU/NB. All these frequencies are tuned to the FSB since the FSB is the master system bus. Therefore, you will need to monitor and adjust all of them to keep things stable when you overclock with the FSB. Using the CPU core multiplier is therefore a much easier, more simple way to overclock since it does not change anything but the CPU core speed. But as others have said, you can generally get by with less CPU core voltage for a given level of overclock if you use a combination of multiplier and FSB.

Thks alot again
well honestly, the motherboard supports DDR3 2000 memory when the system FSB is overclocked. But as already mentioned that may be hard to achieve with the thuban. (if you have time later, you could always give the other memory a shot) I would start with the standard 1600mhz OCZ kit, since it should be pretty much plug and play. Your mainboard should be a great overclocker.

Follow the steps outlined in my post above, and adjust your NB frequency up from stock. Starts at 2000mhz. Up in 200mhz increments. Once you get to 2600mhz, you will need to increase cpu-nb voltage. This is crucial for system performance. Regarding the HT, there are no performance gains to be had from overclocking it, so leave the multiplier for the HT to stock (2000-2200mhz).

I would not count on getting much more than 1600 mhz memory frequency out of a Thuban.

I would not count on getting much more than 1600 mhz memory frequency out of a Thuban.

Yeah, I agree. I know of one person who reached over 2000mhz cl9 on the same board I've got, biostar ta880gu3+, with a Thuban processor. He claimed it was stable, but who knows. I've pushed the ram to 1800mhz stable on a Thuban, however.

Sorry for my noob questions but im not much experienced with these...

My first test after changing the CPU/NB frequency and HTT from auto to manual was this:

Im getting 1670Mhz on the RAM with CL8-8-8-24 1T but i noticed that they are working on single channel..:(

I have disable on the bios this features:
CPU Spread Spectrum
PCIE Spread Spectrum
Cool’n Quiet
C1E

After 25 mins running Prime95 all ok with an max temp of 46º on the CPU (with the case intake FAn's controled manually on the minimum rotation)

I would do that:
"Follow the steps outlined in my post above, and adjust your NB frequency up from stock. Starts at 2000mhz. Up in 200mhz increments. Once you get to 2600mhz, you will need to increase cpu-nb voltage. This is crucial for system performance. Regarding the HT, there are no performance gains to be had from overclocking it, so leave the multiplier for the HT to stock (2000-2200mhz)."
and then give reply...

Thks a lot again

Last edited:
Also, disable Turbo Core Technology. Take CPU Ratio off of Auto and manually select a multiplier. I think 15x is stock. Looks like to this point you are only using the CPU bus frequency to overclock but the best way is to use a combination of the CPU ratio multiplier and the CPU bus frequency to overclock. Please give us some more digital pics of your bios. Need one particularly of the voltage adjustments that comes below what we see now.

Also, disable Turbo Core Technology. Take CPU Ratio off of Auto and manually select a multiplier. I think 15x is stock. Looks like to this point you are only using the CPU bus frequency to overclock but the best way is to use a combination of the CPU ratio multiplier and the CPU bus frequency to overclock. Please give us some more digital pics of your bios. Need one particularly of the voltage adjustments that comes below what we see now.

Please look at this youtube video and forward it till the 00:40 seconds. It shows all the options available and i think think its better than some pics but i can post some more pics too.

Meanwhile, and before do has you told, with the stock voltages i've raised the fsb to 260 and 255 giving me respectively 2600Mhz and 2550Mhz on the
CPU/NB freq. but prime95 gave me some core error while testing after a few minutes so i must go up Vdimm or CPU/NB voltage...

Other think that i have noticef too is if i manually set the DRAM timmings to manually anf put them on 8-8-8-24 the RAM's work on single channel but if i put all to auto they work as dual channel then.

Sorry for my noob questions but im not much experienced with these...

My first test after changing the CPU/NB frequency and HTT from auto to manual was this:

Im getting 1670Mhz on the RAM with CL8-8-8-24 1T but i noticed that they are working on single channel..:(

This is because your FSB bus is way up over stock. Its running at 250mhz. bump this down to 200. The single channel thing means is your memory is not locked in the proper mainboard slots to support dual channel. You need to have one DIMM in Channel A slot one and one DiMM in channel B slot 1, and they are usually color coded.

CPU Spread Spectrum
PCIE Spread Spectrum
Cool’n Quiet
C1E
Good, disable any other power saving features if you can find em

You already have your FSB at 250, as I mentioned, bring it back to 200 and and start tweaking again. you will have to re-adjust your CPU/NB and HT frequencies to get them in range.

This is because your FSB bus is way up over stock. Its running at 250mhz. bump this down to 200. The single channel thing means is your memory is not locked in the proper mainboard slots to support dual channel. You need to have one DIMM in Channel A slot one and one DiMM in channel B slot 1, and they are usually color coded.

CPU Spread Spectrum
PCIE Spread Spectrum
Cool’n Quiet
C1E
Good, disable any other power saving features if you can find em

You already have your FSB at 250, as I mentioned, bring it back to 200 and and start tweaking again. you will have to re-adjust your CPU/NB and HT frequencies to get them in range.

Regarding the locking the RAM's on the mobo its all ok. They are placed on the same color slots. Now i have changed the bios on DRAM timming all to AUTO and im getting back the dual channel as you can see:

Meanwhile here are the pics of the bios of my mobo:

Please look at this youtube video and forward it till the 00:40 seconds. It shows all the options available and i think think its better than some pics but i can post some more pics too.

I would prefer a static attached picture, please. That way I can refer back and fort to it rather than having to play a YOutube video over and over. Please make it as easy as possible on those trying to help you, sir.

Meanwhile, and before do has you told, with the stock voltages i've raised the fsb to 260 and 255 giving me respectively 2600Mhz and 2550Mhz on the
CPU/NB freq. but prime95 gave me some core error while testing after a few minutes so i must go up Vdimm or CPU/NB voltage...

Core errors usually mean you need more CPU voltage. I would set the FSB to whatever frequency gives your ram 1600 mhz and leave it there. Then I would use CPU core ratio tool to do any further adjustment to CPU speed. Then adjust CPU/NB and HT Link frequencies separately. They each have their own adjustment.

Other think that i have noticef too is if i manually set the DRAM timmings to manually anf put them on 8-8-8-24 the RAM's work on single channel but if i put all to auto they work as dual channel then.

Looks like you need to work manually with your CPU Offset and CPU/NB Offset voltages. Right now they are on Auto. When you take them off of Auto, what choices do you see?

Also, take your CPU Load Line Calibration off of Auto. What choices do you see?

The reason his ram is showing in single channel mode is not likely that his FSB is too high. 250 mhz is a pretty modes FSB increase and if the motherboard is stable at that FSB frequency I wouldn't mess with it. 250 mhz is a good round figure and it brought his ram up to about 1600 mhz.

The reason the ram is showing single channel is most likely due to how he has them installed in the slots. Kelsinni, check to see that you have the ram installed in dual channel mode. Usually, but not always, that means putting them in same-colored slots. Consult your motherboard manual if in doubt.

Yes I agree, as I said earlier, it is probably due to the slot placement of the ram as to why he cannot run dual channel mode. Is FSB:DRAM ratio should be adjustable with that mainboard, with a FSB of 200mhz, to a ratio of 1:4, allowing for 1600mhz without the overpowered FSB. Let us know how it works out.

Back