• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st OC: X6 1075T BE on Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1920 for the HT Link is very good. I would give the CPU/NB a bump to 1.225 to head off instability before it occurs as you progress in your overclock. I'm talking about CPU/NB voltage, not CPU voltage.

Please use HWMonitor (non-pro version) instead of HWinfo32 to monitor. It's important to use the same tools in the helping process.

I noticed your FSB speed (noted in CPU Z) is still 242? Trents and I were suggesting dropping this to 200 and then using the multi's on your CPU and NB and to overclock. But if this is working out for you, that's great. I know I always say this but try to get your nb speed up to 2600 or 2800. Above that its hit and miss, but thats one of the best NB chipsets you can get for the Phenom II platform, so I bet you could get 3000 mhz out of it.

I noticed your FSB speed (noted in CPU Z) is still 242? Trents and I were suggesting dropping this to 200 and then using the multi's on your CPU and NB and to overclock. But if this is working out for you, that's great. I know I always say this but try to get your nb speed up to 2600 or 2800. Above that its hit and miss, but thats one of the best NB chipsets you can get for the Phenom II platform, so I bet you could get 3000 mhz out of it.

As It turns out his cpu is not black edition. OP explained that t his morning. Some of the early Phenom II X4s were non black. No unlocked multiplier.

Last edited:
Hi friends...
new setup try:

BIOS: (CPU/NB freq. 2400 with increase of 0,05v now @ 1,2v; HT link 1920, FSB 240; DRAM 1600Mhz)

CPUZ 64bit:

PRIMI95 64bit: (almost 25mins 0 error, 0 warnings)

HWMONITOR 64bit:

Good? Average? What should i bump up now?

Thks

Your core temps look great but your CPU socket temp at 61c max is getting real close to the stable limit which we consider to be about 65c. Can you put a spot fan to blow on the VRM/socket area of the motherboard?

Also, watch your ram frequency. You are now at 1600 mhz and I would not think a Deneb core CPU IMC will take any more. If there is still overclock headroom for the CPU cores then you will need to drop your ram speed back one level so that you continue to bump up the FSB. Does that make sense?

I would now move from 20 minute Prime95 blend stress tests to 2 hr. tests. 20 minutes is not long enough to really confirm solid stability.

Your core temps look great but your CPU socket temp at 61c max is getting real close to the stable limit which we consider to be about 65c. Can you put a spot fan to blow on the VRM/socket area of the motherboard?

Also, watch your ram frequency. You are now at 1600 mhz and I would not think a Deneb core CPU IMC will take any more. If there is still overclock headroom for the CPU cores then you will need to drop your ram speed back one level so that you continue to bump up the FSB. Does that make sense?

I would now move from 20 minute Prime95 blend stress tests to 2 hr. tests. 20 minutes is not long enough to really confirm solid stability.

I think i can reduce the temps while stress testing. the test was made with my 2 intake FAN's in the minimum rotation:

Im pretty sure that i can reduce 2 or 3ºc with it at maximum speed.

All the tests i have made showed me that my RAM's can run at 1650/1700Mhz maximum with CL9. My doubt is assuming that i acheive a 1700Mhz CL9 stable, what gives me more performance? That 1700 CL9 or 1600 Cl7 with the other kit?

Now i will try bumping up the CPU/NB freq. to 2500 and FSB to 250 amd see the results

i will post the same pics with these configs...

Thks

Only doing a lot of bench-marking will tell you which ram will give the best performance because different applications will respond differently to higher bandwidth vs. lower latency. In general, higher frequency brings better performance. When I say I doubt that the IMC will handle ram frequencies over 1600 I do mean in a completely stable fashion over time. What we see with Deneb owners on the forum is that initially they seem stable at 1600 mhz for the ram but over time that changes.

I have done another test:
FSB: 250
CPU/NB Freq: 2500
DRAM Freq: 1667Mhz @ CL9
HT LINK: 2000

I have run Prime95 for 30mins with the INTAKE FANs rotation at max speed ALL TESTS OK!
HWMONITOR gave me these temps:
CPU: 58ºC Max temp.
Cores: 46ºC max temp.

As you said 30 minutes of testing is not too much. Maybe before i run the 2 hour test i will try just up a little more...what do you think?

Thks

Two hours of Prime95 blend is considered the minimum to confirm stability. I lot of guys, especially those who do "folding" insist on 8 hrs. I have found 2 hrs. to be sufficient for my purposes.

Also, watch your ram frequency. You are now at 1600 mhz and I would not think a Deneb core CPU IMC will take any more. If there is still overclock headroom for the CPU cores then you will need to drop your ram speed back one level so that you continue to bump up the FSB. Does that make sense.
He is running a thuban based processor, not a denab. As advertised, and delivered, the thuban IMC has better reliability and potential for over clocking, beyond speeds of 1600mhz. Combined with the 890gx nb, much higher ram speeds are now attainable with new boards.

Yep, you're right, a Thuban. My bad. I was thinking 975, not 1075. So the IMC will be a little stouter.

I havent run the Prime95 for 2 hours yet but i have been playing FarCry3 for 2hours periods since i have this config and for now none error had e occur.

Im gonna up a little the FSB till i get a DRAM frequency of 1700Mhz (with the timmings all on AUTO) then i test again ans check the temps...

Maybe if i get a 1700Mhz CL9 stable give me better results than a 1600Mhz CL7...

i will keeping posting the results

Hi again guys...
yestherday my bolt thru kit has arrived:

With it i was able to rotate the cooler 90º and put it on the "normal" position:

Because of the height of the TeamGroup Modules this will allow me to replace them without removing the cooler.

Till now all my tests showed me that the "wall" of the TeamGroup module was arround 1700Mhz even with a little bump on the CPU/NB voltage. This 1700Mhz was reached with the timmings on AUTO (9-9-9-24 1T)

I have tested now the OCZ kit and started with 240 FSB; 2400 CPU/NB freq.; 1920 HT LINK and 1600Mhz CL7-7-7-24 1T on the RAM's.

25mins of PRIME 95 showed me no errors.

Now i have 3 possible cenarios:
1) stay with 2x2gb TeamGroup working at 1700Mhz CL9-9-9-24 1T?

2) change it by the OCZ 2x2gb working at 1600Mhz CL7-7-7-24 1T?

3) try to put them togheter and get 2x2g + 2x2gb (8gb total) at 1600Mhz CL8? (because the minimum timming that i could get with the teamgroup was CL8)

P.S. Im not a extreme gamer but i play regulary. I use some Photoshop too regulary and the other uses are for internet most of times...

I would like to ear some opinions about that...

Thks again

Generally, mixing pairs of ram of different makes and different timings and or different voltages is not a good idea for stability but if timings and voltages are the same or very similar it often poses no problem.

Kelsinni, if you put the fan on the other side of the cooler, in a pull configuration will it help you fit the Team Dram in?

Generally, mixing pairs of ram of different makes and different timings and or different voltages is not a good idea for stability but if timings and voltages are the same or very similar it often poses no problem.

Hi trents...They have the same voltage 1,65v and i have already run the TeamGroup module at 1600 CL8. The OCZ module is CL7 by default but i think it could be set to CL8 without problems...
My question is 8gb in total are really necessary?

Kelsinni, if you put the fan on the other side of the cooler, in a pull configuration will it help you fit the Team Dram in?
Hi Mandrake4565...i had that problem when the cooler was placed with the fan pointing down...now with it on is normal position i dont have the problem anymore so its more simple to switch the RAM's to test them...

Other option that i have not mentioned was sell both modules and get a new 2x4gb module with good timmings...what do you think?

Thks

Hi trents...They have the same voltage 1,65v and i have already run the TeamGroup module at 1600 CL8. The OCZ module is CL7 by default but i think it could be set to CL8 without problems...
My question is 8gb in total are really necessary?

Hi Mandrake4565...i had that problem when the cooler was placed with the fan pointing down...now with it on is normal position i dont have the problem anymore so its more simple to switch the RAM's to test them...

Other option that i have not mentioned was sell both modules and get a new 2x4gb module with good timmings...what do you think?

I go for this last one. Get ram that runs at 1.5v instead of 1.65v and get some without tall heatsinks. I really like GSkill products.

Thks

Hi again...
my next step is try to put them together @ 1600Mhz CL8-8-8-24 1T as they both run with 1.65v.

If i get them stable i will keep this config. Today all the kit of 2x4gb DDR3 1600 CL8 that i saw none cost less that 60/65€.

i will post here the results when i test them together...

Back