• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time lapper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Efonzerellie

So I've decided I want to lap my CPU and Heatsink. Any extra precautions I need to take before I lap my AMD 955BE and Hyper 212? I've read a bunch of different methods from the direction of sanding and also wet/dry, not sure which one to use.

Biggest thing is flat surface. Dont try and do too much hand sanding as itll be uneven. Work with a flat surface. Tape some sand paper down on something or use a sanding block.

Ive never wet sanded although you can get a finer finish. You really dont need a mirror shine and infact, sanding down to 800-1000 proved to be the best in a test a few years back.

It depends on how you want to go with this...I wet so far as sanding my old cooler with 2500 grit wet stone and then polishing it to a mirror finish.. Use glass and always use wet to to get a better finish..

xp-120 I did

factory surface
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Half way through the process
Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Final results
Picture007.jpg

the shiny finish sure looks pretty, but I really just want performance. Also, do i need to be extra careful not to puncture the heat pipes on the 212? Do I wet sand the cpu as well? is there any danger using wet to sand cpu?

i just got done Lapping my 212+ and 955be. i wet sanded both. focused more on the CPU than the heatsink. wet sanding is fine. just dont go putting the cpu in right after you lap. i let mine sit out all day on the counter to make sure it was 100% dry.

I chose not to wet lap - too risky for my liking. With dry lapping you can install the CPU straight away, after ensuring you have properly cleaned it.

Also if it's performance you're after, 1200 grit is sufficient; beyond that there's not much point, unless you want a pretty photo (like most people seem to).

thatnks for the advice, anyone know the cheapest place to buy sandpaper? I already have mx-4 and glass so all I need is the sandpapper. What's the exact order I'm gonna need to lap cpu and heatsink?

Last edited:
Home Depot - Lowes - Ace - True Value, take your pick. You can probably find a variety pack with all the grits you need. There is no order, just focus on making flat surfaces on both the CPU & heatsink.

thatnks for the advice, anyone know the cheapest place to buy sandpaper? I already have mx-4 and glass so all I need is the sandpapper. What's the exact order I'm gonna need to lap cpu and heatsink?
The exact order is "rough to fine". You start rough to get the plating off and even out the surface. You then use finer grit paper to make the gashes smaller.

I like to start with 100-120 grit, depending on how flat the stock finish it. From there, increase the grit until it is as shiny as you want. You could even leave it at 100-120 if you want. I've even seen people use paper as the final step to get it super shiny; which I see as completely worthless.

I would get 2-3 sheets each in case you rip one. If the surfaces aren't flat, get more lower grit sheets.

Start at 100, then 200, 500, if you want more shiny but needless sanding, get 1000. The best sandpaper is at auto stores, it's waterproof.

+1

3M Automotive is amazing sandpaper. I have a "kit" that I put together of 4 different grits a few years ago, I've used it for a dozen CPUs and a couple heatsinks and still works great. The stuff is like leather and lasts forever.

Like everyone said, the key is making a perfectly flat mating surface, how shiny it is doesn't help temps at all :)

If you do want a shiny finish (I get mine very shiny but they never come out as perfect mirrors, I don't use a 2500 grit final stage) then you can start at something like a 150-200 grit and work up to a 1000-1500 final stage and then finish off with this:

http://www.nevrdull.com/

The wadding polish has some kind of oil in it and it will leave a residue. I tear off bits of wadding and use my thumb to firmly rub the hell out of whatever it is I lapped. It will turn black as you use it. I end up using five or six pieces, then wiping away the residue with a paper towel to check my progress, and continue this polishing until I am satisfied with the result. Before I install it, I make sure to clean off every last bit of the oily residue with Arctic Silver's ArctiClean kit. I start with rubbing alcohol, clean off everything I can get, then use the ArctiClean kit.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

Here are some of my results:

Zalman 8700

TRUE

Back