• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2/3 Boxes In: The Build Has Begun (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOW! 21 hrs of leak testing... i go and boot my computer and what do i see.. a drip coming from my cpu block! i ripped the cored out of that psu so quick.. hopefully nothing got hit.. for the few seconds i was in bios, i was seeing a temperature of 50C on my cpu.. ut oh :-/.. wait until i fix this clamp then i will check again.

hmmm.. core temp, easy tune 5, and are showing crap temperatures.. showing in the 50's..

my gpu is showing 42..

idont havea nothrbridge sensor.. any ideas?

could over tightening blocks do this? could my AS5 be too old ? (like a little over a year?)

UPDATE:
so it looks like some kinda capacitor or something was stopping the block from laying flush with the cpu. simple twist of the block solved that.

@3.2 Ghz (4x800), at stock vcore and gmch:
just after boot i am getting cpu temps of about 32C.
after a short load with orthos high 40'sC

my guess is ambient is about 25-26.

gpu is 44 while loading my cpu and sitting at the desktop.

my fans are on high and my pump is on 5. (is the D5 vario). could this be because my fans are taped on and thus not mkaing a good seal?

how tight should my blocks be?
Is AS5 thats over a year old any good? Should i swap it out for fresh ceramique?

those temps are any better than my Zalman 9700LED

Last edited:
Old AS5 is fine. The stuff doesnt go bad :)

Regarding the leak.....well.....people more knowledgeable than me say dont leak test on a table, but......this is the reason why I have seen it recommended. If that leak touched anything electrical you should have been SOL and fried something.

As far as the temps, at stock VCore with a decent water setup I would think high 40s at load is not acceptable.

Remount, remount and remount until you get a mount that you like :)

If/When you do remount, take some pics of your IHS on your CPU and the contact area of your waterblock before you clean off the AS5 so everyone can get a good idea about your contact.

Also check your loop to make sure everything is moving appropriately.

is that a good gpu temp? If it isnt, then I would think its a flow issue/air in the line or something. If that is a good gpu temp, then I would think its the way i seat my block. Thanks!

is that a good gpu temp? If it isnt, then I would think its a flow issue/air in the line or something. If that is a good gpu temp, then I would think its the way i seat my block. Thanks!

Dunno, you cant tell what your loaded GPU temps are by loading your CPU. Run a 3D benchmark or aquamark or something similiar and check your temps.

44C GPU temp at idle on water cooling does NOT sound appropriate though. Should be something in the 20s at idle and in the low/mid 30s at load IMHO.

Looking mighty fine set-up there phil

Thanks Jolly.

So i reseated my gpu and cpu blocks. i spread a fresh coat of AS5 (cpu) and ceramique (gpu) after cleaning both with ArctiClean. The technique I used was putting a dab in the center and then spreading it with my finger tip (with a piece of plastic wrap over the tip) just enough to cover the contact area. I seated, removed, and verified good contact.

there must be air hidden some where.

Dunno, you cant tell what your loaded GPU temps are by loading your CPU. Run a 3D benchmark or aquamark or something similiar and check your temps.

44C GPU temp at idle on water cooling does NOT sound appropriate though. Should be something in the 20s at idle and in the low/mid 30s at load IMHO.

Actually not... All that stuff is tricky to pin on any one thing. Typically loads of this size at least in my expeiance, water will end up roughly 10C warmer than ambient air temp, GPU has a better surface area to disappate heat and ends up to be the coolest high powered item, followed by the CPU unless u can get the IHS off of it.

I had a 3x120mm rad setup on my box, although not the best of best choices for the rad (top of my P180 Case) it worked out well.

I had a 2900XT on water, high 30's idle and upper 40's low 50's load.
My CPU on the other hand I could not get my CPU temps down at all... they where running roughly 50C. Comparison my CPU on air was running 42C.

Well Im officially confused Deathman.

So you were getting temps that were HIGHER with your custom water cooling than your all air cooling setup and you think that everything is ok with that?

Dont get me wrong, Im a complete water cooling n00b so I am far from arguing with you, but custom water is supposed to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than air cooling from everything I have read....

Or am I missing something?

Well Im officially confused Deathman.

So you were getting temps that were HIGHER with your custom water cooling than your all air cooling setup and you think that everything is ok with that?

Dont get me wrong, Im a complete water cooling n00b so I am far from arguing with you, but custom water is supposed to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than air cooling from everything I have read....

Or am I missing something?

No you didn't miss read or anything. I don't know what it is the 3 times I've done a water setup, AIR has been cooler for me at least on a CPU lvl. GPU well water was much better than air at least on said 2900XT card. I don't know maybe I have a curse has spread onward but it was confusing to me as well.

Incase or out of case water, no matter what i've tried and hours I spent working on it, I couldn't figure out why. Last time I gave up was late fall last year when I ssaid forget it, and sold off my water stuff. Spent 6 months and 1 motherboard trying to figure it out, but no go. Just saying its not always the case, as sad as that sounds.

soo.. just after boot, I my cpu is running in the high 20's.. this is at 4x800..
my gpu is running at 40 (versus mid 50 on stock cooler)

gotta reboot, then i will check load temps..

here are a few last pictures..

DSCF0755.jpg

DSCF0754.jpg

DSCF0753.jpg

i really cant wait to get my stuff, yours looks awesome :D

lol minus the tape on the rad.. screws should be here tomorrow or Monday.

any comments on the temps guys? Should they be better? Are they could..

at the momeent I think I just broke my vid card. I made a post over in Nvida VGA section but who knows. Everything with that puppy has gone to hell..

What voltage are you running to the CPU? Your video seems a little warm to me, my old system was an E6600@ 3.7 ghz 1.52 volts and a G80 GTS at 700/1100, idle for the cpu was mid to high 30s, full load was high 50s, GPU idled at 32 and never broke 40 at full load. I think the cpu didn't have that good of a IHS seat job done at the factory though as my Q6600 at 1.4 runs 32 idle and 62 or so full load, but the GPU temps are ALWAYS higher, about 35 idle and 41 or so fully loaded. Oh and FWIW I also have a A3 revision GTS, it performs VERY well. Also looking at the pics you have the Samsung ram on it which is supposedly the good ram.

Last edited:
this has been quite the painful experience..
vcore was stock.. 1.325 is it? well whatever stock it..

either way, now I cannot even get a picture out of my computer. Not sure what I did to my 8800GTS but its no longer working.. going to have to RMA it this week. hve a post running about it in the Nvidia VGA section here at OCforums if you wanna check it out..

after my vid card went everything has just gone down hill. I broke to of my damn fans.. I have learned now not to work powered fans on a cluttered desk because they tend to fall over and sh** gets wedged into them.. how depressing

You need some fan grills. They're like a dollar each. I feel unsafe without them. Also, your radbox doesn't look like it's tightened down at all. The whole radiator assembly is drooping.

You need some fan grills. They're like a dollar each. I feel unsafe without them. Also, your radbox doesn't look like it's tightened down at all. The whole radiator assembly is drooping.

the rad box was not full attached. As well, I hadnt attached the fan grills yet because I was still waiting on longer screws (I didnt realize my Yate Loons had closed corners). Now that I have the screws, the grills are on so dont worry:). However, with all the screws on the rad box, it still will droop a little bit just because of the rad+shroud+fans weight. ill probably work on a better mounting system when i get home in a month or so..

However, with all the screws on the rad box, it still will droop a little bit just because of the rad+shroud+fans weight. ill probably work on a better mounting system when i get home in a month or so..

I didn't want to hear that. My black ice gtx 480 is coming on Tuesday and I don't want it to droop!

well it depends on a few factors. you will see where my back connects to my cases 80mm fan. its not connected centrally on the bracket, which will allow for some drooping.

also, I placed and extra fan between the bracket and the rad, which places the rad farther out from the case, leading to more downward force cause more drooping. so dont be too worried!

Back