• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED [2013] What kind of cooling do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of cooling do you use?

• Air Cooling

Votes: 128 50.0%
  • Water Cooling (Custom Loops and All-in-One Units)

Votes: 124 48.4%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use air cooling due to the fact that I think it has more life than using Water or AIO's. Besides, it's cheaper and requires less maintenance but that's just me.

I use air cooling due to the fact that I think it has more life than using Water or AIO's. Besides, it's cheaper and requires less maintenance but that's just me.

Yes!

Lazy people unite!

I agree wholeheartedly.

Nuff Said'

All of that.

water is king and I'll continue to do it 4 as long as I can afford it :) currently back on air atm but just awaiting my new rads from PPCS

I have a silver arrow set to 1.5PWM/C . With the awesome temps of always under 60C in P95 and its very very low noise, I have no plans at all to go water.

If its fans get noisy and oil doesn't fix it, I'll just get new fans

And ill REsay what i told higher on this thread. With all the AIO WC that flow around nowaday, i think this Poll need to seperate them from real WC by adding a category to the poll.

1 : AIR
2 : AIO WC
3 : Costum WC
4 : Other

AIO are not WC IMO. They are wanabee WC and cost 2 to infinite times less money than a real WC. If i was still watercooling with 1500$ oc WC gear like in the past, it would frustrate me to include myself in teh same categori as a 40$ Corsair H50 ....

Sorry, I didn't see this suggestion sooner, but I'd like to give my thoughts on this.

Keeping the categories as-is gives a direct comparison across polls, and that's one of the main reasons it's not setting it up as you propose. It keeps the categories clear, without a chance to overlap.

I can definitely see where you are coming from and recognize the performance difference between the two, but both custom and AIO loops use a pump to force water through a block to move heat to a radiator so that it can be whisked away with fans. That is the definition of water cooling, so both are in fact water cooling.

We could compare prices like you mentioned as well. The $70 H60 versus a $250 custom Swiftech CPU loop ($85 pump + $50 120mm rad/res + $75 block +$40 fitting/tube) is ~3.5 times more expensive. Now, what about on the air side? We can't forget about that... The $30 Hyper 212+ versus $90-100 high end air cooolers like NH-D14 or Phantek ends up being 3.0-3.5 times difference in price as well. Does that mean the 212+ isn't air cooling or just "wannabe" air cooling?

Last edited:
It's so it bumps the poll to the top when someone votes. You are more than welcome to unsubscribe from the thread.

Where do I get a fairy like yours? Do they come with fairy dust?
That's my best friend Tiffany Yep, A.K.A. the "DSP Fairy". She's one of the few engineers who is also a model. She does a lot of digital communications stuff, and I think she'll change the world of wireless one day.

Interesting story: Tiffany got me into FPGA stuff (that's what she works on every day), which led me to get my own FPGA board (Digilent Atlys) to have a go at FPGAs myself, which led to my old machine (1.6GHz Core 2 Duo) being too slow at compiling Verilog, which led me to build that new machine.

Water.
I hate the look of heat pipe towers. The just look so awful..
Im not going to hate the AIO water cooling set ups. They look clean and work well.
Thats like saying 'i dont want my BMW lumped into the same 'car' catagory as a Geo Metro because I paid more for mine' what a lame arguement.

That's my best friend Tiffany
Sorry to hear that man.. Thats what we call 'The Friend-Zone'.. Ive been there myself, I feel for ya man.

Last edited:
I can't see myself going back to air since I've made the leap into water cooling.
It's just such a fun hobby, super beneficial to the system, and it looks cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back