• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED [2013] What kind of cooling do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of cooling do you use?

• Air Cooling

Votes: 128 50.0%
  • Water Cooling (Custom Loops and All-in-One Units)

Votes: 124 48.4%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Air cooling on all of my machines, just haven't felt the need to invest in a watercooling system again.

Yep, that's what it says in the OP :thup:

Looks like this year's poll is continuing to close the gap between air and water coolers. It's pretty much neck and neck.

So wait I just found out that you can only use distilled water in watercooling systems?

wth is that? Looks like I'll never be watercooling lol :L

Why would that affect whether or not you try water cooling in the future?

Last edited:
Why would that affect whether or not you try water cooling in the future?

Because you would have to buy it? Extra expense? It would add up over years and years of use.

Unless WC'ed computer systems only sip it, :L

What extra expense? Distilled water is $0.99/gallon. I've bought maybe three gallons in ~six years of water cooling. Water cooling is a closed loop. It recirculates the same water over and over. You only have to add any maybe once every few months and very little then, plus a drain/clean/refill once a year.

Any liquid that you put in the loop has an added cost, and distilled is one of the cheapest...like $3 for per gallon at Walmart and it doesn't take near a gallon to fill a loop. Tap water would require some sort of anti-corrosive as it's added cost. Evaporation is almost non-existent since the loop is sealed off once it's filled and bled.

Yeah, liquid is an added cost, but not that much considering the overall cost of all the water cooling components (blocks, pumps, rad, res, etc.) So, it's only ~$3-4 per year at most assuming the loop uses half a gallon and it's cleaned every 6 months, not too bad for the cooling performance and the enjoyment of the hobby.

Ah, well now I am edumacated.

I guess I thought it evaporated much faster than it really does.

Now I feel dumb.

Thanks tho, less work and cost than I thought.

Only using an AIO Water Cooler for my CPU

Enermax ELC-120-TA

Performance it's ok , no need anything serious for my Intel i5 3550 @ 3.3 Ghz
Main reason for water cooling is to fit my Vengeance RAM =/

But i feel like moving back to Air Cool , for the fear of the hose breaking one day ! Which many cases had occurred ! !

Liquid cooling for my rig at home, air cooling for my LAN party/ back up rig because air cooling you don't have to worry when you taking your rig around, air cooling is also less maintenance. But liquid cooling is performance much better and make your rig look beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back