• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED [2013] What kind of cooling do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of cooling do you use?

• Air Cooling

Votes: 128 50.0%
  • Water Cooling (Custom Loops and All-in-One Units)

Votes: 124 48.4%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, one can easily do that, but i was thinking more along the lines of a simple band-aid fix. For some, depending on the case and how old it is, changing out the waterblock and reverting back to the stock/spare heatsink/fan is a surgery job compared to just zip tying a new fan to the heat sink. Another issue that could come up and happened to me as well... what if your video card(s) is also tied into the loop? That then becomes a good 1-2 hour job of swapping out parts and re-installing and ultimately doing it all over again once the replacement part that failed arrives... Dont get me wrong, I loved my water setup and I love seeing others as well. I just wont be going back until I have a dedicated bench tester, when waiting for a new part wont be an issue.

Last edited:
Its probably more like 88 air, 65 all in one fake watercooling, and the rest actual custom watercooling loops.

Watercooling is watercooling whether it's custom or not...

And ill REsay what i told higher on this thread. With all the AIO WC that flow around nowaday, i think this Poll need to seperate them from real WC by adding a category to the poll.

1 : AIR
2 : AIO WC
3 : Costum WC
4 : Other

AIO are not WC IMO. They are wanabee WC and cost 2 to infinite times less money than a real WC. If i was still watercooling with 1500$ oc WC gear like in the past, it would frustrate me to include myself in teh same categori as a 40$ Corsair H50 ....
Sorry, I didn't see this suggestion sooner, but I'd like to give my thoughts on this.

Keeping the categories as-is gives a direct comparison across polls, and that's one of the main reasons it's not setting it up as you propose. It keeps the categories clear, without a chance to overlap.

I can definitely see where you are coming from and recognize the performance difference between the two, but both custom and AIO loops use a pump to force water through a block to move heat to a radiator so that it can be whisked away with fans. That is the definition of water cooling, so both are in fact water cooling.

We could compare prices like you mentioned as well. The $70 H60 versus a $250 custom Swiftech CPU loop ($85 pump + $50 120mm rad/res + $75 block +$40 fitting/tube) is ~3.5 times more expensive. Now, what about on the air side? We can't forget about that... The $30 Hyper 212+ versus $90-100 high end air cooolers like NH-D14 or Phantek ends up being 3.0-3.5 times difference in price as well. Does that mean the 212+ isn't air cooling or just "wannabe" air cooling?

Hey guys, in the last 3 days i've noticed a decrease from 3-5c cpu temp at idle,didn't have time to test or verify. i'm using a heavy CPU heat sink, the only thing i did was laying down my case at the side(got afraid on the mb:D) after one year. it took some time for the decrase to take place, my ambient temp is the same 23c.
I think it's better not to have all that load on the motherboard, right? anyone had troubles before?

I have a custom loop for my cpu. I have totally forgotten the nomenclature denoting the size of a radiator, but it fits 4 120mm fans.

Also, the first post is a blinding shade of green with the new default skin. Ouch! :p

So you have a 120x4, so 420 mm rad. No mention in your sig for WC, but I guess you don't visit a lot or post info much, so no worries.

You can go back to the original darker skin in your settings. Un old times did that right away. It hurt for sure, LOL.

I'm using the Hyper 212. This is only my third build and I have not done anything else but air cooled. Keeps my fx 6300 32 at idle and around 39 playing a variety of games on mostly maxed settings.

Water
Im still rocking the gear I have had for ~7years same pump cpu block ( with small mods ) and gpu block work on all my current gear .

Water
Im still rocking the gear I have had for ~7years same pump cpu block ( with small mods ) and gpu block work on all my current gear .

That's why a custom loop is worth the money. I bought my 1st watercooling setup to cool my P4 3.4Ghz at 4.1Ghz. That was 2006 I think. The same stuff is cooling my Q9650 today. When I finally upgrade CPU, mobo & RAM, all I will need is a new block for the new socket (unless I can mod mounting holes on my old Apogee).

Last edited:
Water

That's why a custom loop is worth the money. I bought my 1st watercooling setup to cool my P4 3.4Ghz at 4.1Ghz. That was 2006 I think. The same stuff is cooling my Q9650 today. When I finally upgrade CPU, mobo & RAM, all I will need is a new block for the new socket (unless I can mod mounting holes on my old Apogee).

That's great to hear guys. I honestly will be keeping my pumps, fittings, radiators and their fans for years to come. Of course cleaning those parts annually but nonetheless will be around for some time. Only thing I would change is the CPU block and tubing and of course old pc components. :D

NH-D14 Noctua. Its MASSIVE but it allows for some mean overclock's

Attachments

• 1175416_170860956434857_1534208049_n.jpg
    1175416_170860956434857_1534208049_n.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 161
Is that your mouse in the bottom left corner. It reminds me of Dead Space. Nice show when all lit up AJay

Ohh I got a list!~

Peltiers

Air

Liquid

Chilled Liquid.

Water from tap to drain

LN2

DryIce

And lastly and least often, Passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back