• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24/7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can, or is practical?
You can run a cascade at -120c 24/7 if you want to. It's loud, requires very good insulation and eats a ton of power.
Alternatively a single stage run at -30 to -50 and doesn't require as much, eat as much, or make as much.

Personally I wouldn't run anything more extreme than water on a daily basis. Actually I don't even run that :p

While you do get higher clocks on extreme cooling they aren't that much higher, not enough to justify the risk/noise/power IMO.
Benching is a different story of course. Find a risky, loud, expensive way to get 100MHz and you'll have a line around the block waiting to learn it.

I have seen some small single stage phase that are built to run 24/7. The negatives with this, to me, are not worth it though : higher electricity costs, increased noise, and the extra hassle of worrying about condensation/insulation.

If I didn't pay for power, I wouldn't mind running a single stage for daily use.

They really don't generate that much condensation and the temp drop is actually pretty nice. Depending on the compressor, the noise is about as loud as a few high-speed fans. It certainly isn't silent but the noise isn't horrible.

My Single stage can cool a 300w heat load at -50*C.

It uses about 300w constantly according to my kill-a-watt.

I've ran some rather long cycles of run time on my single stage, I've ran it for 17 hours solid more than once. But I honestly Don't trust it to run while unattended 24/7. Even though the compressors that are used for Single stage and cascade units are usually rated for constant use under a heavy load. I am not 100% sure of this but Generally the longer the duration of the run, aswell as the Higher the load on the system can decrease the life span of the system.
Generally To build a system like these they are already sacrificing Lifespan of the compressor in favor of performance.

Back