• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 X Raptor 150 in Matrix Raid 0 - Results and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey I have 2 drives in my RAID-0 right now, is it easy adding a 3rd drive w/ out loosing my data? Matrix... Intel D975XBX2

fritzman how can you keep us waiting so long, its just not right. Results?

tell me about it... work is getting in the way.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow or so...

Have to back up 600Gb data to esata, then rebuild O/S then bench, then reinstate data, and I have to leave for the Philippines Sunday... a bit pushed but I'll try.

B

Oh yeah I absolutely hate your guts with raw envy, the kind that makes me want to say you just wasted your money on something unnecessary just because I dont have what you have...

[/truthfulness]

The barfing alligator-cow says 'troooo' This is half the reason people who frequent these forums buy new stuff.

VERY NICE! I'm gnna hav to learn more about this matrix raid for my new setup :D I love fast program loads etc..

The barfing alligator-cow says 'troooo' This is half the reason people who frequent these forums buy new stuff.

Yeah, I see your point.

Although I buy stuff because I enjoy the hobby.

I don't even have a sig or project log to brag about, so that is proof enough.

(hehe but I do want to start a log of some crazy project though so I too can enjoy my fanclub:beer: )

Tech News..

Check this out guys. Just found that we have for sale a 16GB, 32GB and 64GB Solid State Drive that is faster than a single 150 raptor.

.1 ms access time, 97 MB/s read, and 80 MB/s write.
Its made by a company called Mtron and the 16GB version is currently $799, the 32GB is $1499,, ughh. The price is disgusting but the performance is supposed to be out of this world.

Single Mtron 32GB solid state drive vs. single raptor 74gig:

http://www.dvnation.com/images/MTRONvRAPTOR.jpg

Mtron 32GB solid state single drive hdtach:

MTRON_HDTACH.jpg

Mtron 32GB X 4 solid state raid 0:

MTRON-4X-RAID0.jpg

If these prices were reasonable I would be all over this in a heartbeat.

oh so nice. I've actually been eyeballing those Mtron drives for a few months now. I just cant seem to pull the trigger on one when I know I will be able to get something just like it in 6 months for $500 or less. I know I know, not like I'm well known for being a thrifty guy....but $1500 for 32gb just hurts.

What most of you don't know because I've been to busy to keep everyone posted on all my naughty hardware purchases; I bought three of these drives here. I was thinking 3 of those bad boys on a RAID 0 would give me those instant latencies without having to stoop too low read/write speeds. Problem is they just would not work with ICH7, 8, or 9R. Only one of the drives would even show up on system post and it would hang the PC for literally 30~60 seconds on bootup. Not sure why they had a compatibility issue and Super Talent tech just didn't seem to be very "on it" for a guy that just spent $2400 for 96GB of storage. Anyways, newegg let me return the drives and even sent me back a check for the full amount I paid for the drives(I just love newegg).

Now seeing these results I realize I would have been MUCH better off to just buy a single Mtron drive:bang head. Seeing these results is making me get my wants on all over again.

How does the OS feel with that drive Dom? I bet it feels pretty snappy. Does windows seem to boot up much quicker?

Hyper,
haha. I only wish I could shell out the money to afford these drives. Supposedly, these tests were run by Maximum PC magazine, and these are officially the fastest drives in the world currently. Both synthetically, and real world. They have the highest STR on any non scsi drive, and they have the fastest latency of any drive in the world period. The technology is here, and its only going to get better.

These pictures are off of the DVnation website. (mtrons main distributor)
The prices are astronomical and I absolutely cannot justify the price just yet.

Regards,
Dom

I think we need a dedicated thread that we can use to keep updated on the latest SSD tech and availability. Somewhere people can post benchmarks, compatibility, and just general info on these SSD drives that are hitting the market. I'm too lazy LOL. Where's bing when you need him LMAO. Something tells me that people would come from miles around just to read it.

fritzman how can you keep us waiting so long, its just not right. Results?

At last...

I left the 3 x 36Gb Raptor C partition as it was in the Matrix (49Gb) but shrunk it using Vista to 25Gb and ran fresh tests to compare the 3 x Seagate 500Gb 32Mb cache drives to side-by-side, and here we are...

AttoRaptorVs32MbCachePerps.jpg

HD-TuneRaptorVs32MbCachePerps.jpg

HD-TachRaptorVs32MbCachePerps.jpg

I have to say, I am very impressed with the Seagates, even though the 12Gb partition is completely empty (I'm gonna install XP-Pro in it) and all the tests were run from my Vista 64-bit C-drive install.

Enjoy!

Fritzman, thanks for this kind of comparison screen shot of matrix raid on Raptor vs Seagate, 1st of it's kind at OcF I guess ! :thup:

Apart from the higher STR&W for seagate at the ATTO, the CPU utilization is almost similiar for both. ;)

Mind measure the boot time on the "fresh" XP-Pro installation on that 12GB Raid 0 slice like this HERE ?

Back