• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 X Raptor 150 in Matrix Raid 0 - Results and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DaPoets, I suggest you forget about using that Marvel raid since they're way too inferior compared to Intel ICHxR Raid. Better find some media to backup all then rebuild the Raid volume on the array with that added drives.

DaPoets, I suggest you forget about using that Marvel raid since they're way too inferior compared to Intel ICHxR Raid. Better find some media to backup all then rebuild the Raid volume on the array with that added drives.

Yeah I guess so... Seagate 160gig drives are only like $40 these days so I'm going to buy 2 more of them and do a 4 drive Raid-0. Having 640 gigs is just what I need too. I figure that's a cost efficient way to get more storage space and slightly increase my read/write.

I have been playing Flight Simulator X a lot lately for some wierd reason.... but it's 18 gigs fully installed (yeah say wow!!) and I find that even w/ my Q6600 (it's a multi thread game too) and my 2 drive Raid-0, it takes a good 20 seconds or so for the game to load up. I see my HD light going crazy when I bring the game up.

My friend who doesn't have a raid in his computer, has to wait 6 full minutes for the game to load up on his computer. My mothers laptop takes 1.5 mintues.

And now that I think about it... I'm going to just do away w/ my dual boot of win xp 32 and xp64 and just go w/ xp64... I am tempted to go to vista 64 though...

fritz, do you think you could run the Seagates with an equivalent size partition? That would be a more equal comparison.

Sorry mate... already moved 600Gb of data onto the Raid5 array, then realised I should have a small Raid0 for my XP install, so moved it all back off again, created it, and now put it all back on again... If I wasn't flying away for 2 weeks Sunday I would do it in a heartbeat, but pressures are mounting... got to sort 4 x PC's to take so I can give them away, all sorts of other local stuff to arrange, etc, etc... I'm sure you'll understand.

When I get back (2 1/2 wks)... I will blow the Vista install away on the Raptors, and do a quick XP install on the same sized Raid0 on the Raptors just for fun, and compare that to the Seagate one, before I reinstate the Vista image to a smaller Raid0. How would that be?

Sorry mate... already moved 600Gb of data onto the Raid5 array, then realised I should have a small Raid0 for my XP install, so moved it all back off again, created it, and now put it all back on again... If I wasn't flying away for 2 weeks Sunday I would do it in a heartbeat, but pressures are mounting... got to sort 4 x PC's to take so I can give them away, all sorts of other local stuff to arrange, etc, etc... I'm sure you'll understand.

When I get back (2 1/2 wks)... I will blow the Vista install away on the Raptors, and do a quick XP install on the same sized Raid0 on the Raptors just for fun, and compare that to the Seagate one, before I reinstate the Vista image to a smaller Raid0. How would that be?

No problem man, even if you had just said 'no' what could I say? :) It was just for the sake of more info in the testing. The way I figure someone doing a mixed Matrix setup is going to want a certain amount of space on an array, expecially the OS/program partition so it makes more sense to test it that way. But whatever you can do is fine even if it's nothing ;)

Back