• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32 v 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albyno

was jsut wondering about intel and amd differences. and one big one i see at least in CPUz is that intel has 4x32bytes cores and amd is 4x64bytes cores.

does this have any performance controls over the chips? if so in wat scenarios?

and also in amd lvl2 cache theres only 4x512mb cache which is alot less then intels 2x4mb cache BUT one is 4x and one is 2x so amd's cores have there own lvl 2 cache does that effect performance much? one being bigger one being individual.

and lastly y doesnt intel have lvl 3 cache but amd does?

Thanks Tim

ps hope that was clear

If the program is made for 64, it should be a little quicker.

The only real reason to go to 64bit is if you have more than 4gb of memory.

Having shared cache is better. If one processor is idle and the other is using all of its cache, half of it is wasted.

There is also a performance boost having it shared since there is less latency in sharing data between the processors.

They don't have lv3 cache because they didn't need it :shrug:

I believe that Nehalem will have it though.

so on a 64byte OS with 64byte programs with 4gb+ memory an amd processor might be better? or are the intels so much better atm that there 32byte proc's could keep up?

so on a 64byte OS with 64byte programs with 4gb+ memory an amd processor might be better? or are the intels so much better atm that there 32byte proc's could keep up?
It is 64bit ;)

All the newer processors (even some P4's I believe) are 64bit. I'm running a QX9650 with 8gb right now in Windows 64bit.

L1 the size difference might make a difference but its harder for them to get yeilds up i would think with including more. given its placement on the cpu and i havent seen other wise, the L1 runs at the cpu clock speed.

L2 well thats the ticket really, more L2 is always better for alot of programs. L2 runs at cpu clock speed.

L3 well intel tried it at one point on a old netburst based EE cpu but it was costly. now you dont see L3 on current cpus cause intel uses the fsb for quads to send info back and forth. for the duals they dont need it since it carries shared L2 between the 2 cores. Amd needs the L3 attached to the crossbar to send info between the cores on the quad core. as far as i have read amds duallies dont carry L3 at all. L3 runs at half the cpus clock speed.

yea T he is not talking about 32bit vs 64bit, the main clue to me about that. was when he started talking about L2 cache and L3.

op check out my pic and is that what your seeing, for the 2x32bytes on the main tab of cpu-z?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/cpuzvcore.jpg
or might you be refereing to the cache tab?

Last edited:
yes that is the 32 and 64 that i am seeing.

my amd 3800+ x2 shows 2x 64 and 2x 512
my intel e6600 shows 2x 32 and 1x4mb

sorry if my OP was a bit messy and confusing

so its only a cache memory size then? it doesnt actualy effect 32 or 64 bit programs?

Last edited:
it does effect but prolly not like your thinking it would. what your seeing is the different levels of cache the cpus have. to use for holding and processing instructions, its one way of making a cpu more Efficient per clock. dependant on the app of course, games=yes, av encoding = no,with in margin of benching for comparasion.

i would say the L1 difference isnt going to be the deal breaker when looking at cpus. the L2 is going to be what people are after, though more L1 doesnt hurt but takes up more die space when including more.

At the end of the day a mid level Intel CPU stomps the crap out of a top end AMD CPU so do we really care how they are made ?

At the end of the day a mid level Intel CPU stomps the crap out of a top end AMD CPU so do we really care how they are made ?

not sure you are directing this to, but i do take offense. since I DO care about how they are designed. you might not be interested so does that give you the right to judge others? that may want to learn about cpu core design and what is what.

as to the first part of your statement, thats incorrect. :p
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=516089

if you take offense to my first part of the post, sorry in advance. i tend to ask direct questions that can be taken as offensive.
:beer: on me!

Back