• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

38 second boot on new SSD gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is a splash screen, yes. You should have seen some text... I take it that it did not hang on anything?

Ok so I disabled the boot logo in the bios. When I boot, it beeps, has a black screen for ~100+ seconds, then loads windows.
I tried it again while pressing delete, it was black for a few minutes, then loaded the bios. I've reenabled the splash screen for the time being.
I was passively watching the Q-codes and saw it said "super IO initialization" at one point. Don't know if that means anything.

Either way, it would not do anything when I hit tab, whether the slash screen was enabled or not.

Now, your black screen, is this because the monitor is not getting a signal or does it have a signal and not show anything? If it is the latter, something is wacky there as you should see some things loading, and it would not take longer to load...

Now, your black screen, is this because the monitor is not getting a signal or does it have a signal and not show anything? If it is the latter, something is wacky there as you should see some things loading, and it would not take longer to load...

The monitor is not completely black like it's not getting a signal - it's getting a signal, it's just a black screen, so the screen is slightly lit up.
But no text or anything.

ATM does this mean anything to you?

BiosBoot1.jpg

Here are some of the drop down options:

BiosBoot2.jpg

I don't know if the legacy thing can be fixed via bios, OS, of if windows needs to be installed.

It's Legacy - I'm guessing that's the one it's not supposed to be :-/

It should be UEFI, and that'd definitely cause your boot times.

ATM does this mean anything to you?

View attachment 147085

Here are some of the drop down options:

View attachment 147086

I don't know if the legacy thing can be fixed via bios, OS, of if windows needs to be installed.

Pick UEFI First and see if it'll still boot properly.

How old is the install?

About a week old. Which to UEFI? Boot drives?

Yes, the "Boot from Storage Devices" should be switched to UEFI.

That said, it'll most likely need a reinstall to be able to utilize the UEFI function.

I know it makes a huge difference because it can start booting the OS while your hardware is being initialized.

Ok, so I switch them to UEFI, and then tell it to boot from the optical drive and just reinstall Windows again?
Will that clear the SSD out fresh or should I wipe it, and will I need to contact Microsoft about the Windows product key? Or is it fine since I haven't changed any hardware...

Yes, switch it to UEFI, then boot your installer with no drives but the install media and the SSD connected.

You'll have to re-enter the product key, but won't have to contact Microsoft.
You can format the SSD from inside the Windows installer, simply use the Advanced drive options.

Go into BIOS and turn on fast boot?

This is only part of the question. I remember sitting in front of my computer scratching my head and asking: WTF is it doing?
There's a f*cking Windows timer of 30 seconds somewhere where it only sits there and waits for console input: selecting the os to boot and continueing with the default after timeout.

Recovery mode by default?

Last edited:
This is only part of the question. I remember sitting in front of my computer scratching my head and asking: WTF is it doing?
There's a f*cking Windows timer of 30 seconds somewhere where it only sits there and waits for console input: selecting the os to boot and continueing with the default after timeout.

Recovery mode by default?

That's only if you have multiple OS's installed.

Ok so I'm about to reinstall windows (I was out of town), should I "just remove my files" or "fully clean the drive"?

I want to wipe the SSD and have a completely fresh install, but I want to make sure I'm not going to shorten the life of the SSD significantly with a full write over of the drive.

You're not going to impact SSD life. Just format and reinstall.

This is all under the "Reset your PC" option of the advanced options on the windows install disk.
I am in the correct place, right?

Oh wait, no, your talking about selecting custom format options during the install process to perform a clean install of windows?

Ok well I did a clean install, and when I checked, it still says the Bios mode is legacy :-/

Everything was changed in the bios to be UEFI, so I don't know why is installed windows in legacy mode still?? :confused:

I actually figured it out and got it installed the UEFI way. My boot times are still in the ~35 second range, so I know i need to fine tune something in the Bios boot settings.

I actually figured it out and got it installed the UEFI way. My boot times are still in the ~35 second range, so I know i need to fine tune something in the Bios boot settings.

Is it still that long with only a keyboard, mouse, and the SSD connected?

Back