• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

38 second boot on new SSD gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is it still that long with only a keyboard, mouse, and the SSD connected?

Well, I've yet to physically unplug the optical drive. I disabled the splash screen, and that seemed to help at first, but now the boot times are just as long.

I've tried to recognize only boot drives on post, and put the following boot order in place:
SSD
Windows Boot Manager (SSD)
Optical Drive

Hasn't seemed to help.

Possible it's doing a long ram check or windows is set to wait to select os to boot to.
My pc boots up before the TV can turn on in standby mode.
About 7seconds and it's at the desktop waiting for me.

Possible it's doing a long ram check or windows is set to wait to select os to boot to.
My pc boots up before the TV can turn on in standby mode.
About 7seconds and it's at the desktop waiting for me.

That's what I'm aiming for, but somehow missing.

Get into bios and hunt for any ram checking and enable fast boot.
Open run command at the desktop and run msconfig set wait for os selection to zero seconds.
Change login to auto.

Change boot option 1 to windows boot manager.
If you can disable option 2 and 3 then do so.
Disable f1 boot error
Disable post report if it allows it... Though you will have to press delete like a crazed fool to get back into bios. Lol
If you can disable any unused sata ports not in use then do so.

Edit:
Disable direct key drct... Just looked it up and its bogged up apparently.

Last edited:
Well I've played with the boot options, and set the OS delay to 3 seconds (minimum) in msconfig, but all I've been able to accomplish is inconsistent boots that last 38+ seconds.

Surely most people don't run into this problem with a new SSD build - am I overlooking something simple here?

Edit: And it managed to not want to recognize my wifi usb now either, even with the drivers installed - it was working earlier :-/

If you flashed to the latest bios it may also help to pull the battery and reset it. Then tweak the settings from scratch.

If none of this has worked... We need to broaden our thinking to os install and checking hardware.

Essentially it would be hard to make a modern computer hang for that kind of duration even if you were booting from un-tweaked base settings.

Its got me head scratching...

Assumed as much but its important to pull the battery and reset bios to make sure there's no left over junk settings from the previous bios if the machine acts up :)

I'll try that when I get home. I'm assuming it's just pulling the button battery out and putting it back in?

I'll try that when I get home. I'm assuming it's just pulling the button battery out and putting it back in?

Yes pop the battery out and give it ten minutes.
I turn the power off and press the on switch to drain the caps in the psu too.

If theres no info on what hangs on the bios splash screen.
Then maybe the master boot record is corrupt on your os install.

Probably not that then.

Unplug all things usb and see if it hang

Edit: failing that give the machine a kick from me as im truely out of ideas after that :rofl:

Did you ever try with the optical drive unplugged?

Physically, no, I need to try that. What would it mean if that was it? Why would that cause the bios to hang for so long?

Also, I tried enabling a RAM subsetting in the bios that skipped the "full TLC testing" or something like that on boot, and that didn't help either.

Physically, no, I need to try that. What would it mean if that was it? Why would that cause the bios to hang for so long?

Also, I tried enabling a RAM subsetting in the bios that skipped the "full TLC testing" or something like that on boot, and that didn't help either.

Optical drives can just be slow to respond sometime, and if the system is waiting on that device to respond it could hold up your boot time.

Back