• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

38 second boot on new SSD gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Optical drives can just be slow to respond sometime, and if the system is waiting on that device to respond it could hold up your boot time.

If that does end up being the problem, could its sata port just be disabled at the bios level and reenabled when needed so that the optical drive doesn't need to be physically unplugged? (I'll still test with it physically unplugged).

If that does end up being the problem, could its sata port just be disabled at the bios level and reenabled when needed so that the optical drive doesn't need to be physically unplugged? (I'll still test with it physically unplugged).

Absolutely!

Some bios on some rigs are just painfully slow. I run win7 - 64

Im at 45 seconds on a EVGZ Z87 with a 2790K @4.8 and 16g 2400 ram

Im at 25 seconds on my MSI Z97 g45 with a 4770k @4.3 and 8g ram

Tried raid 0 and that slowed the top board down another 5 seconds while it went through the raid config screen.

Well I physically unplugged the optical drive and external sata that I forgot was plugged in, and neither helped.
About to try taking the MB battery out.

What's weird is that when the PSU power is cycled, the computer is reset, or restarted, it's got a good chance of being more like ~22-25 seconds.

When it's cold booted is when it takes ~40 seconds. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it other than that, generally.

Alright, I cleared the CMOS RTC RAM data (via jumper, as instructed in manual, instead of removing the battery - although it says to remove the battery too if jumping doesn't work).
It didn't help.

For some reason it's faster when it's restarted/resetted, but slow on cold boot. Could there be a reason for this, something to do with RAM perhaps?

How long does it take to say "No boot media" if you disconnect all your drives?

How long does it take to say "No boot media" if you disconnect all your drives?

Ok so I just disabled all the Sata ports in the bios, and told it to save and reset. here's what happened:

Goes through the splash screen really quickly and then goes straight to bios.

I tell it to reset again and it posts, sits at the "Asus - press delete to enter bios" splash screen for ~30 seconds, then goes to the "American megatrends" screen that says no keyboard detected, then immediately takes me to the bios. No usb is working (this happens every one in a while after reset with no rhyme or reason).

I physically hit the reset button then --> "Asus -press delete…" splash screen, usb keyboard lights up (so it's a random thing) only ~13 seconds on that ASUS screen, then straight to Bios.

What the flip is going on….:confused: :bang head :rain:

Maybe flashing to the previous version of Bios might help? I know for me when I was having issues with the bios, I would normally flash it to the latest one in hopes of fixing the problem. Sometimes it would work, other times it wouldn't.

I would flash to older bios and viola, it works as it should. Go figure :-/

Maybe flashing to the previous version of Bios might help? I know for me when I was having issues with the bios, I would normally flash it to the latest one in hopes of fixing the problem. Sometimes it would work, other times it wouldn't.

I would flash to older bios and viola, it works as it should. Go figure :-/

Well, this was happening even when I had an older bios in there, and if I flash to an older one, I lose the improved support of the Haswell refresh, which I have in this PC.

Can I have a list of exact components... Time for some deep Google-fu to check if there's any rare but documented issues with parts.

Maybe even try some alternate sata cables incase one is wiffy and holding things up with an intermittent fault.
If there's more than one sata controller chip then maybe try the primary on the alternate.

Try pulling some ram and just use one stick to see if it's a board hates ram issue.
Test the rams addressing and make sure there's no bad ram address.

Maybe a boot through errors and poke at the usb legacy settings etc. With no devices attached.

I'm down to poking at obscure unlikely variables... Seems all the usual suspects have been eliminated.

Most bizarre can't boot won't boot situation I've ever heard of... Truely stumped at this point :shrug:

Last edited:
Well, this was happening even when I had an older bios in there, and if I flash to an older one, I lose the improved support of the Haswell refresh, which I have in this PC.
To be clear, it only has one bios update that claims support for devil's canyon, correct?

Cold boot vs warm reboot (you can g00gle for more information since there are varied viewpoints by manufacturer)

Cold boot may also be called cold boot, hard reboot or hard boot.

Warm reboot may also be called warm restart or soft boot or warm reboot.

Nailing down fully what each engineering sector is calling the REboots is difficult.
And somewhat difficult in determining what actually happens. A warm reboot used
to be described by M$ as a restart thru the 19h interrupt and is of course
not the same as a Cold boot which is begun from power supply off then on
and the start button pressed to begin the boot process.

In general it is considered best to troubleshoot (especially hardware) by beginning boot process from power supply off, then on and begin boot process. This process does n0t skip part of the bios booting process which a warm reboot/restart always seems to skip a portion of the booting checks and process.

You might want to check with your motherboard manufacturer to see if there is some idea in the boot vs reboot process that is not fully evident.

It is generally understood that a cold boot process almost always takes longer than a warm reboot/restart takes because of steps skipped in the warm restart process.
RGone...

Can I have a list of exact components... Time for some deep Google-fu to check if there's any rare but documented issues with parts.

Maybe even try some alternate sata cables incase one is wiffy and holding things up with an intermittent fault.
If there's more than one sata controller chip then maybe try the primary on the alternate.

Try pulling some ram and just use one stick to see if it's a board hates ram issue.
Test the rams addressing and make sure there's no bad ram address.

Maybe a boot through errors and poke at the usb legacy settings etc. With no devices attached.

I can certainly take a shot at those things.

I'm down to poking at obscure unlikely variables... Seems all the usual suspects have been eliminated.

Most bizarre can't boot won't boot situation I've ever heard of... Truely stumped at this point :shrug:

Well, it will boot, but it get's erratic when I play with the settings, especially when the splash screen is disabled - it doesn't like that one bit.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)
Monitor: Dell P2314H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition 63.5 CFM 120mm Fan
Keyboard: Logitech G105 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Cooler Master Recon Wired Optical Mouse
Speakers: Genius SW-G2.1 1250 38W 2.1ch Speakers

To be clear, it only has one bios update that claims support for devil's canyon, correct?

Correct. If you'll look at the picture below, these are the three latest bios versions. I had the one before these three (0902), and the devil's canyon one is 3rd from latest (1008). I have the latest, which just adds the M.2 compatibility (1204).
Should I flash the second latest (1103)? Maybe that's the best bet right now.

BiosVersions.jpg

Back