• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3rd GPU, need to know if 600 watts is enuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Just bought: MSI R7850

Currently own:
Sapphire Dual-x 270x
And
MSI R6850

And a CoolerMaster i600 PSU (80+ Bronze)
3.3 V = 20 Amps
+5 V = 20 Amps
12 V = 48 Amps
-12 V = 0.3 Amps
+5VSB = 2.5 Amps

The 6850 is at stock voltage 1150mV @ 900 Core 1000 Memory
And the 270x has been undervolted to 1175 mV @ 1150 Core 1500 Mem

Currently pulling ~ 3.5 Amps at the wall both GPU + CPU full load.

I have a SATA -> Molex -> Pcie 6-pin adapter coming too (since my Fans + 6850 used up all my Molex)

3 HDD's (2 WD Greens + 1 Samsung 155UI)

Can I power my entire rig off this PSU?
If techpowerup is correct, the R7850 is a 95watt TDP, so = 0.8 Amps

3.5 + 0.8 = 4.3 Amps
4.3 * 120 = ~ 516 Watts the whole rig under load.....

whaddya think?? :shrug:
Thanks guys!

EDIt: Whoops! Forgot to mention it's the sig rig I'm talking about ;)

Your math looks good.

And there are still the 10/15% PSU efficiency loss.

You should be fine with your PSU.

As an example, I have 2 corsair CX 600 powering 2 280x each.

Your math looks good.

And there are still the 10/15% PSU efficiency loss.

You should be fine with your PSU.

As an example, I have 2 corsair CX 600 powering 2 280x each.

Really...?!
All 3 would run? :shock:

Sweet :thup:
I knew 600 watts would be enough when I bought it :cool:
Got the tracking number just now. Should be here soon I hope :)

7850 is a 150W GPU.
6850 is a 127W GPU.
270x is a 180W GPU.

You should be fine... but measure it to make sure.

7850 is a 150W GPU.
6850 is a 127W GPU.
270x is a 180W GPU.

You should be fine... but measure it to make sure.

:salute:
Will do.

once the 7850 gets here, I'll run it full load and measure the amperage.
Hehe if all goes well, this will put me just below 1.2 Mh! :thup:

:salute:
Will do.

once the 7850 gets here, I'll run it full load and measure the amperage.
Hehe if all goes well, this will put me just below 1.2 Mh! :thup:

Congrats on the new video card

just a fast Question .. you can put 3 different video-cards ??

in one PC ? I thought it was all ways recommended to use the same kind

I wouldn't do it.

You're looking at 437W of GPUs.
Then with the CPU loaded up you're adding 95W.
Along with ~10W per HDD, and roughly 40W for mobo/RAM.

I have to take my post back considering it was mentioned to me, and presumably in this thread(?), you will be folding on the CPU as well. If not, I would say go for it. If you fold on the CPU and mine with the GPU's, I wouldn't do it.

In order for us(anyone) to give you accurate information, you must give us ALL the information we need to help the right choice.

Your challenge may be getting the loads balanced between the 12v rails, so one is not overloaded. Though I am not familiar with that particular psu.

I'm also going to throw this out there:

You've already blown up one motherboard with this PSU. Why do it again?

i have a better idea use the money to finally ditch the 1280x1024 monitor get something 1080 or 1440 :) something for them gpu's to actually push.

Ya you're definately pushing the envelope. I know folding is personal to you, but I would stick to one or the other until you can upgrade that PSU. This is why I like to over shoot when purchasing PSU's. If I were you I'd pick one of these up. They're on sale for $129US right now or wait for a bigger sale but this would give you more head room for when you get your 4th card...which is inevitable. :)

Thanks for the replys guys!

@wagex
No kidding, 1280x1024 suxxxxxxx :(

@Blaylock
Folding is very personal, my grandfather died from Alzheimer's, so I feel than folding for a cure would be the best thing I can do :)

Now, I have to go split a TON of firewood (we burned ~3.5 bushcords this year :shock: ) but when I get back I'll get a very accurate amperage estimate. It turns out my dad forgot to take his ammeter back to work :thup:

I can always ditch the 6850 until I buy a bigger PSU as well.

@ATMINSIDE
Buring another mobo would be bad, but I did buy a 1 year direct replacement. If I kill it, bring it back and I get a fresh one :) (NOT planing on killing this mobo, just saying)

Thanks for the replys guys!

@wagex
No kidding, 1280x1024 suxxxxxxx :(

Then do something about it

@Blaylock
Folding is very personal, my grandfather died from Alzheimer's, so I feel than folding for a cure would be the best thing I can do :)

Easier to fold when you don't overload the PSU

Now, I have to go split a TON of firewood (we burned ~3.5 bushcords this year :shock: ) but when I get back I'll get a very accurate amperage estimate. It turns out my dad forgot to take his ammeter back to work :thup:

I can always ditch the 6850 until I buy a bigger PSU as well.

Could always sell the 6850 and buy a real monitor

@ATMINSIDE
Buring another mobo would be bad, but I did buy a 1 year direct replacement. If I kill it, bring it back and I get a fresh one :) (NOT planing on killing this mobo, just saying)

You're headed toward it if you overload that PSU.

"extended warranty, how can I lose?" - Homer Simpson

+1
Better read the T's&C's before saying "IT DIED"
Because if they go "not covered, your PSU killed it" then you're out a motherboard AND a PSU.

@ATMINSIDE
Good points, I would test loads to be sure I would have enough amperage before I threw all 3 GPU's in anyway :)

The monitor..........
Well TBH, my desk is not even big enough to fit this old monitor in, that and I owe the college summer semester fees :-/
"extended warranty, how can I lose?" - Homer Simpson
:p
+1
Better read the T's&C's before saying "IT DIED"
Because if they go "not covered, your PSU killed it" then you're out a motherboard AND a PSU.
Yeah, I know they would say "sorry outta luck" if I told them I overloaded it with 3 GPU's
Oh thanks ED because I was thinking of putting my old one that I have :D:D good thing I did not do that

Well, you can mix and match GPU's AMD and Nvidia will work in the same rig, just no PhysX. ;)

Back