• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3rd GPU, need to know if 600 watts is enuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, you can mix and match GPU's AMD and Nvidia will work in the same rig, just no PhysX
He is thinking about it in a GAMING capacity which you cannot do.

As far as using PhysX with an AMD GPU as the primary, there is a hack for that...

He is thinking about it in a GAMING capacity which you cannot do.

As far as using PhysX with an AMD GPU, there is a hack for that...

(more learning, less spreading of false information please!) :p

Yes thank u Otherwise I will just put the other one in and then came back here asking for help again and maybe blaming you Silver_Pharaoh for it :p:p

Yeah, I know they would say "sorry outta luck" if I told them I overloaded it with 3 GPU's

And if they saw something like burnt pins they would most likely say "PSU's fault, not covered".

Trust me, I've seen it done before. Companies will run between the lines any time they can to avoid returns.

And if they saw something like burnt pins they would most likely say "PSU's fault, not covered".

Trust me, I've seen it done before. Companies will run between the lines any time they can to avoid returns.

Well we are not going to have to worry about that are we? :D
Becasue I have concluded that I am NOT comfortable running 3 GPU's in this rig.

I just ran Prime95 Small FFT, GPU's mining, All system fans on max and was running HDtune benchmarks to simulate all my HDD's under load.
I averaged 3.8 Amps, and saw spikes of 4.2 Amps. :shock:

Soooo I'll be running 270x and the 7850 while I fold instead of all 3.
Now, Blaylock mentioned this guy, but I'd like some inputs on a PSU that will power all 3 GPU's + everything else.
(If that's not realistic, tell me straight up)

Sig rig + 2 Corsair AX120 Silent fans, 0.4 Amps each both drawing from a molex splitter right now.

Couldn't care for 80+ Gold, they aren't cheap anyway.
OR Should I buy a 500 watt PSU and some how link the 2 together?

Thanks for the advice guys, it's comforting to here advice from people who know what they are doing (un-like me sometimes :p )

I averaged 3.8 Amps, and saw spikes of 4.2 Amps.
Que? What were you testing? Not the 12v as that is a whopping 50W for your system, which, from what you posted is what I thought you were testing?

With that beastly PSU in mind, that will safely power the whole rig?
You really got me thinking about my old mobo and how I killed it + the replacement plan I got and it's T&C's. I'd hate the thought of kiling another one.

Oh, 1 small detail left out:
The 7850 will come with a SATA -> Molex -> Pci power connector
(If needed anyway)

With that beastly PSU in mind, that will safely power the whole rig?
You really got me thinking about my old mobo and how I killed it + the replacement plan I got and it's T&C's. I'd hate the thought of kiling another one.

Oh, 1 small detail left out:
The 7850 will come with a SATA -> Molex -> Pci power connector
(If needed anyway)

The 850 would be enough for you to add another 270X.
I'd trust that Seasonic past the sticker rating, honestly.

You'll have 6x 6+2 PCIe connectors on it, which should be enough for your system to not use adapters, right?
If not, plenty of Molex/SATA to steal.

Single 12V rail at 70A, that'll run you for quite a while.

Que? What were you testing? Not the 12v as that is a whopping 50W for your system, which, from what you posted is what I thought you were testing?

The 120V off the wall.

Yepp, 3.8 Amps @ the wall.

Sorry forgot to mention that. :bang head

The 850 would be enough for you to add another 270X.
I'd trust that Seasonic past the sticker rating, honestly.

You'll have 6x 6+2 PCIe connectors on it, which should be enough for your system to not use adapters, right?
If not, plenty of Molex/SATA to steal.

Single 12V rail at 70A, that'll run you for quite a while.

Yeah 70Amps :shock: holy cow!

I'll look around for some PSU's while I'm in college tomorrow. New schedule sucks. 4 hour break between classes :bang head
*sigh* that Seasonic you linked to is $164 CAD :(

Why is everything so expensive in Canada? :shrug:

Oh, list of PSU brands that are good (that I'll look for in CanadaComputers tomorrow)
Seasonic, Corsair (Which series? HX??)

Since you are new to the website Silver, I will point you to the link in my signature for quality PSU's. :p

504W PEAK actual use with all three cards and the CPU at 100%... That leaves a little less headroom than I would like to see, but... a quality PSU should do that no problems.

Since you are new to the website Silver, I will point you to the link in my signature for quality PSU's. :p

504W PEAK actual use with all three cards and the CPU at 100%... That leaves a little less headroom than I would like to see, but... a quality PSU should do that no problems.

That's with 2 GPUs and the CPU.

Silver, I just checked Newegg.ca and didn't find anything cheaper worth having other than the Silverstone Strider S 850W

4.2 amps at the wall corresponds to ~420w PSU output. If the PSU is in good shape you do have room for that last card.
Would I recommend it? Not really, largely because that's probably not a very good PSU.
CoolerMaster makes a few really good ones, a few OKish ones, and some absolute junk.
That looks to be an OKish, largely because it hasn't gone BANG at ~70% load.
I seriously doubt it's one of the Really Good Units though.

Good units: Almost every company has their meh units, exceptions to this would be Delta (all really good or better) and Logisys (all crap). Corsair is almost entirely good, I would pass on the CX/GS (GS is a CX with LEDs) and the RM units, due to not-so-great caps. Seasonic's X series is zomg. Their low price bronze units used meh caps, though Seasonic does a good enough job that it seems to be OK.
NZXT makes good units.
Antec makes mostly good units. Again the low end bits are iffier than I'd like personally.
EVGA's gold and better are quite good, though the NEX1500 is a bit of an odd duck and has some issues.

There are a lot of companies that I'm not listing, otherwise it'd take too long.
Also please note that I'm fairly picky about PSUs. Something about reviewing the things for a while I guess.

@EarthDog
:rofl: Thanks :D

@ATMINSIDE
Yeah, I'm checking Tigerdirect right now.
Canadacomputer has ziltch for anything good. Store might have more though, I'll still check.

@Bobnova
Yeah, It's "meh" at best. :p

Then perhaps something in the 750W range since we now know he uses 504 at PEAK with two. Adding in the other GPU only lands us at what 650W PEAK?

Thinking of the future here when he inevitably adds a fourth GPU ;)

I deleted the post you quoted but adding to it..........

Then perhaps something in the 750W range since we now know he uses 504 at PEAK with two. Adding in the other GPU only lands us at what 650W PEAK?

I thought, after reading BobN's post I was incorrect... but it turns out I missed something more important, subtracting the efficiency of the PSU... which if you go by specs is in the 430W range of ACTUAL use.

If he wants a 4th, 850W, otherwise, I have to imagine 700W would be plenty and more affordable... assuming he is not adding another GPU.

Back