• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4170 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

officedemon

Registered
slight over clock to my 4170 from 4200MHz to @4425.18 MHz; 56-57c max stock cooler upped the V from 1.37500 to 1.38125 and the BUS 200 to 210MHz
Temps are 2c more than stock at loud on p95 (1hour test ended with 56C)

^ first time overclocking,to be honest i'm relay happy! got 200+ MHz for 1-2c temps and the V are running at 1.320v (did i up the V to soon?)
how much room do i have to overclock? this seems to easy!
do i need to turn off AMD overdrive ? my head is still spinning!

Any particular reason you are overclocking with the fsb instead of the multiplier?

yeah the ASUS Turbo V evo app just confused the heck out of me, it just reset everything after a restart. I knew it seemed to easy!

So do I understand you to say you are using an overclock genie or software instead of manipulting the individual manual controls in bios?

Get an aftermarket cooler.

Aim for the sky.

A combo of Multi/FSB overclocking should give you the best results.

officedemon, if you're open to learning how to overclock with the bios we'll help you with that.

officedemon, if you're open to learning how to overclock with the bios we'll help you with that.

ready!
just got my CM hyper 212 evo in my computer, temps are 10c cooler than stock both idle and few mins of prim95

Attachments

• ram timmings.JPG
    ram timmings.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 247
  • RAM.JPG
    RAM.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 259
  • CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 252
Well, start upping the multiplier in BIOS by .5, boot into Windows and run a 20min P95 blend. Keep an eye temps, I believe the max is 60C on the core and 70C on the socket, correct me if I'm wrong. If it doesn't crash, freeze, etc and all 4 cores run the whole way through, repeat.

If it does crash, freeze or a core drops out, increase voltage a notch, and try to pass P95 again. Keep going until either your temps are getting too high, or you get to 1.55V core voltage. Likely the former will happen first with your cooler. At that point, run P95 for at least 2hrs to verify stability. After that, there will be a few other optimizations you can make, but that's about the gist of it.

my motherboard has so many OC'ing things i don't know were to start, i cant find anything called a multiplier it must be called something else.

You may need to take it off auto to see the options, it should be in you're main overclocking menu at the top if the page (usually) it may be called CPU frequency or reference multiplier or something like that, there all called different things in different boards and I can't remember what my asus board calls it .

The "multiplier" may be called something like "CPU Core Ratio" and would show as something like 18x (not exactly that numerical value, necessarily). You would need to change the main overclocking control from "Auto" to "Manual" to see some of these things, as others have said. We use generic terms that you won't necessarily find in your particular bios but if you will take digital pictures of the overclocking section of your bios and attach them with your posts we will help you spot it. Crop and save the images first with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories, then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the little paper clip tool to attach images with the built-in forum tool for this.

i up'ed the Multiplier by .5 and the bus by 10 (4740MHz) and WOW what a difference everything is snappy and smooth. only thing is my temps jump crazy high in prim95 and i have to turn it off after about a 2mins

"multiplier" is cpu ratio on the sabertooth.
by default it is set to "auto".
highlight the "cpu ratio" line and press the "+" key till you reach the speed you want.

my RAM OC's like a dream but the cores can't take the heat when i up the multiplier.
guess i'll have to go to water cooling.

I don't see that you have to go to water cooling at this point,
start reducing the vcore 1 or two clicks in the bios at your 4.2 oc, prime 95 for thirty minutes and if you have no issues do it again till you have an issue then bump it back up 2 clicks. then if core temps peak at less than 55c bump the multi up .5 and do it again.
this helps us do the most with the least.

Back